Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I finally gave up...

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
and bought Age of Decadence. played some of the demo, pirated the beta, havent really gotten into it -- but I want to.

Curious about some build guides and advice, specifically for a character that will focus on social/thieving skills but would like to still be able to participate in violence -- ie not a total noncombat build, but not a fighter type either.

prefer to avoid crafting as much as possible, as or any sort of tanky type.
is there magic? or just science?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
and bought Age of Decadence. played some of the demo, pirated the beta, havent really gotten into it -- but I want to.

Curious about some build guides and advice, specifically for a character that will focus on social/thieving skills but would like to still be able to participate in violence -- ie not a total noncombat build, but not a fighter type either.

You can't be a wizard if that is what you mean.

Ninjerk

Arcane
There's alchemy, heathen. People who know more about combat than I do will likely tell you for your first run to either forget about combat or go full combat. Last I read up on them, hybrid builds of the sort you describe (spreading yourself across three kinds of gameplay) require you to metagame to squeeze out every bit of xp possible before you move between places.

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
hahah, thats what i was afraid of.
But i figured id at least pay for it before bitching and digging in.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I just finished up a thief build that was able to win all the quest specific fights, then I betrayed the thieves to Gaelius, then dumped 8 in lore and joined Meru and successfully completed House Crassus' quest.

I think I had 7 str, 8 dex, 5 con, 7 per, 10 int, 4 cha. Weaponwise, I had 4 in archery, 4 in cs, and nothing in dodge or block. I used a bow with poison arrows and basic alchemy.

When playing as a thief, all fights involve multiple combatants on each side. Aziz and Lucius are both pretty good dodgers, so if you use them and a maybe a little bit of fire, you can really stay back and do a lot of poison damage. In hindsight, my stats weren't ideal, and I should have gone with crossbow so I could use the repeater crossbow to poison 5 people a turn. The poison in the temple district does 7 damage a turn, and you can tear apart enemies like the assassins who attack the slums. In one on one fights, just shoot and run, or use a little alchemy to keep them at bay while the poison destroys them. I only won a few fights in the arena, I wasn't going out of my way to find fights.

Hybrid builds are doable if you are willing to invest in alchemy and the right tools. They're not amazing, it costs gold and skill points that might have gone elsewhere, but almost all my characters have at least some combat functionality.

SniperHF

Arcane
Quick and dirty guide to hybrid character:
All combat skillz/stats + streetwise. Sure you aren't gonna see everything but you'll get a lot more than a strictly combat skill character.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Streetwise ended up being a much better skill than I thought it was going to be.

Tigranes

Arcane
Hybrid is possible, it's just no matter what build you choose, you will probably suck ass for the first few hours. Because, you know, it ain't an easy game.

Given the game is all about multiple runs, yeah, I'd say an all talkie or fisty the first couple times as you get the hang of things.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I recommend a 2h-hammer+dodge build for your initial combatfag run.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom