Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I can't believe I'm posting this.

racofer

Thread Incliner
A few considerations first:
  • I'm bored;
  • I had some free time on my hands, so I wasted it the best I could;
  • Yes, this is being posted on General RPG Discussion;
  • No, this has nothing to do with supposed sexual harassment committed by the catholic church when I was a child;

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, allow me to explain. Yesterday I was bored looking at some jewtube videos when I, for no reason, found some Oblivion Graphical Enhancement mods (there are three videos on the series so far). On those videos, the guy/girl/itz shows nothing but mods and, surprisingly, no weaboo shit. On those videos I saw some really good looking scenes and I thought to myself: why the hell not? So I downloaded some of the mods listed there, the largest one being Qarl's Texture Pack III, among other ones that enhance a lot of stuff but I can't bother to list them all here. What this thread is all about is how a single modder (I believe it was only one guy), managed to single handed make one of the most atmospheric scenarios I've seen yet in a 3D game. The screenshots below show only a house you can own, there are no sidequests related to it nor anything more interesting than what I'm about to show, however this slaps on the face of nearly any game developer of this current generation on how to properly make a ingame place memorable:

Entering the house from the back:

sM3im.jpg

wpifQ.jpg

jIYCq.jpg

TGF1N.jpg

cubro.jpg

Reception Hall:

kWhFw.jpg

Dinner Table:

OqXel.jpg

Working Desk:

L7lEj.jpg

Lab:

kykRp.jpg

zT5R9.jpg

YqHto.jpg

PkrQq.jpg

Balcony View

lGBLv.jpg

Now imagine all this potential on a game that makes good use of it. Such a shame.

Murk

Arcane
This may be because I have no experience with Oblivion other than official promo material from bethesda or stuff posted here by codexers, but that really doesn't look to impressive after playing G2 and Risen in terms of memorable atmospheric places...

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
What the hell? Where's my bloom?

I can't say I'm overly impressed by the graphics but the design of the house looks good and it's certainly better than anything I remember from vanilla Oblivion.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Don't worry, racofer, I'm going to go easy on you here.

I'll just say this: If Bethesda could have figured out a way to combine the graphical beauty of Oblivion, the gameplay depth of Daggerfall and the breadth of story from Morrowind, they'd have accomplished something special.

As it is, you're a fag for posting those GRAPHIX WHORE LOL.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Crispy said:

Oh, is that so? Alright then, Crispy Boy. I'm now revealing your most well kept secret: the character you use on your Oblivion adventures:

9iwtfk.jpg

r04ggw.jpg

x6g3th.jpg

293wtx1.jpg

2ibz4lx.jpg

Nickless

Educated
I like the design, it has the feeling of an English country estate in the 1700s or so. The graphics though are rather unimpressive.

1eyedking

Erudite
Female bodies in Oblivion are p. fucked up.

I'll leave the obvious continuation of the joke for free.

I.C. Wiener

Educated
It's pretty amazing what some of those mods did for spicing up the incredibly flat, lifeless atmosphere. Bethesda should really be writing their fans checks. I think I spent more time looking for and installing mods than I did actually playing the game.

Also, I think it's funny that you see an empty house as an example of a good memorable location, because that's the perfect analogy for why I found Oblivion's atmosphere so dull. The whole world feels like an empty show house, but doesn't feel lived-in at all.

Multi-headed Cow

How is he flaccid with a big dildo in his ass? That's highly unrealistic. Immersion ruined.

1eyedking

Erudite
The thing I like the most about that picture is the oblivious guard in the background. He's there almost saying "this is still Oblivion, and don't you forget it."

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
bozia2012 said:
]http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/2198/3103511270992502.jpg

Why can't bethesda fans just go to the sextoy store, buy a dildo, and be done with it? Why do they have to mod this shit into games?

Speaking of dildos, the dildo I had left behind when I moved to Boston had mysteriously disappeared upon my return home. I'm kinda not comfortable asking my parents if they've seen my dildo, but on the other hand I really don't want to have buy another one -- they're surprisingly expensive.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
ScottishMartialArts said:
Speaking of dildos, the dildo I had left behind when I moved to Boston had mysteriously disappeared upon my return home. I'm kinda not comfortable asking my parents if they've seen my dildo, but on the other hand I really don't want to have buy another one -- they're surprisingly expensive.
Ok, you win.

But seriously - I've also recently installed QT3 (the optimized version) even though it's one of the most popular mods. Now I have to check the other graphical enhancment mods. "Open cities" looks really cool, but I fear it wil fuck up the whole install. Finding new mods and making them work is even better than playing the game :D

oscar

Arcane
racofer said:
Crispy said:

Oh, is that so? Alright then, Crispy Boy. I'm now revealing your most well kept secret: the character you use on your Oblivion adventures:

9iwtfk.jpg

r04ggw.jpg

x6g3th.jpg

293wtx1.jpg

2ibz4lx.jpg

Where's the bitchin' stache??

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Clockwork Knight said:
...You know, that Hermione is actually p. well done

And the dildo mod guy could at least try and take the pic inside a home. Why are all sex mods taken on the middle of the street on broad daylight?
Bloom, dude. :roll:

Luzur

Good Sir
The screenshots below show only a house you can own, there are no sidequests related to it nor anything more interesting than what I'm about to show, however this slaps on the face of nearly any game developer of this current generation on how to properly make a ingame place memorable:

because modders still have a soul while corporate game devs mutate into money monkeys?

Faggots and horses. Not sure which is worse, really.

Gay horses.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom