Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hyper Light Drifter

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I doubt it.

I'm starting to hate these dash challenges. Chanining those firsts dashes can sometimes be a nightmare. Sometimes i can do it without a sweat and then others it seems my fingers forgot all about it.

They suck. With KB + Mouse it's impossible to do them.

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
I doubt it.

I'm starting to hate these dash challenges. Chanining those firsts dashes can sometimes be a nightmare. Sometimes i can do it without a sweat and then others it seems my fingers forgot all about it.

I managed to do it a few hours ago. It was the crystal trap dash challenge behind the 8 diamond door on the west side.
My flaw was double tapping space, without even noticing, when i felt under pressure. Went full Zen and got the ugliest cloak i have seen so far.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I want to ask again, is the extra content behind the 8-module doors worth the time? New bosses, new challenges...?

No new bosses but fights with many enemies. Eventually a new set of robes or a new weapon. That's what I found and I did everything in North and East part.

I think it's worth finding everything in one playthrough. But on the other hand some secrets are really obscure and you will need some time for this stuff.

So, it depends. You don't need that stuff to finish the game. But if you like collectible and challenges then it's worth the effort. No bosses but boss like fights.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I'll wait until the wiki is a bit more done and check if I missed any of the optional bosses and do those instead. Thanks.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I doubt it.

They way Dash works in general is my major gripe with the controls. Multi-dash needing specific timing is fine, but for normal dashes it seems like the game doesn't queue inputs at all, or does so very inconsistently. So if you want to dash twice normally, and press the button too quickly, you'll only do it once, which is very annoying. This combined with the rather strict multi-dash timing makes movement feel erratic and inconsistent, although maybe it gets better with practice? Wouldn't be so bad if the normal movement speed was higher, but as it stands, dashing is the only way to effectively maneuver in combat, especially in closed spaces where you can't retreat.

And this is all on a controller. Can't imagine how bad it would be on a keyboard.

Shadowfang

Arcane
I doubt it.

They way Dash works in general is my major gripe with the controls. Multi-dash needing specific timing is fine, but for normal dashes it seems like the game doesn't queue inputs at all, or does so very inconsistently. So if you want to dash twice normally, and press the button too quickly, you'll only do it once, which is very annoying. This combined with the rather strict multi-dash timing makes movement feel erratic and inconsistent, although maybe it gets better with practice? Wouldn't be so bad if the normal movement speed was higher, but as it stands, dashing is the only way to effectively maneuver in combat, especially in closed spaces where you can't retreat.

And this is all on a controller. Can't imagine how bad it would be on a keyboard.

It is very specific and can be annoying if you let frustration get in the way. You have to be very consistent and avoid tapping the dash button more than you have to and the timing to chain the first 4 dashes is longer than all the other following, but not my much.
There is a script going around just for the 800 dash challenge, unfortunately i didn't manage to get it to work ingame, just on a notepad, but it might help you understand how the mechanic works:
^+k::
SetKeyDelay, 150, 140
Send {SPACE 4}
SetKeyDelay, 130, 140
Send {SPACE 796}
Return

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I'll wait until the wiki is a bit more done and check if I missed any of the optional bosses and do those instead. Thanks.

Finished the game a second time. Took me 9 h.

Did everything in North, East and West. Unfortunately I'm playing with a mechanical keyboard and Super-Dash is bugged therefore I could not 100% the South part.

There are no new bosses. Just some fights, modules and gear.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron

Did everything in North, East and West. Unfortunately I'm playing with a mechanical keyboard and Super-Dash is bugged therefore I could not 100% the South part.

No, yeah, but I could have completed South without doing one of the two bosses, so I guess there's atleast another I may have skipped. I've played 5 + final boss.

Shadowfang

Arcane

Is this challenge on the southwestern part of the south map?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

No, yeah, but I could have completed South without doing one of the two bosses, so I guess there's atleast another I may have skipped. I've played 5 + final boss.

You missed one boss. No biggie.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Is this challenge on the southwestern part of the south map?

Yep. I cannot do it with KB + Mouse.

Edit: The dash-dash thing is bugged. I tried to time my Space clicks but the character behavior is random. Sometimes is super-dashing, most of the time it doesn't. There is no logic. My assumption is that the game timer logic is fucked up.

Shadowfang

Arcane
If for some reason you stop the chain and try to have go right away, you will still be able to dash but if you want them to chain you will have to wait for a cooldown.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
So I beat this today... what is the deal with the monoliths with writing on them? Anything actually interesting or is it some bullshit cipher I'd need to look up just to get another % of completion?

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
So I beat this today... what is the deal with the monoliths with writing on them? Anything actually interesting or is it some bullshit cipher I'd need to look up just to get another % of completion?
It's a fetch quest to get new robes. There's a secret altar North that lights up as you find them.

Murk

Arcane
They're sound-activated. Cough very loudly on your computer's microphone.

I haven't played the game and am only on slight edge about it, but is this an actual in game mechanic?

EDIT: also p lol that people are using AHK to beat challenges, I def approve o>

Ivan

Arcane
feels like a lost snes game. melee combat has weight to it, think Dark Souls 2, and careful use of the gun will get you out of tough spots. i had a really easy time with the game. finished it in 4 hours. the bosses really needed to be buffed, the only one I had trouble with was the first one (due to not having any powerups I suppose). music is nice, somber, art is great. finished it in one sitting. no real tempation to "collect em all" since I've seen all of the bosses the game has to offer (the real highlight).

Severian Silk

Nintendo objected to plans of lacing game disks with LSD.

Last edited by a moderator:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
-33% on Steam till Friday.

Is it worth it?

Yes.

qwerty123456 Disagree!?

What the fuck is wrong with you?

Excellent pixel art, excellent soundtrack, unique atmosphere, responsive controls, challenging (especially with KB + mouse) but excellent game-play, great level design, rewarding exploration (secrets), nice boss fights, light rpg mechanics (upgrade branches) and overall a great experience.

The bad things about the game are: the ending doesn't make much sense (it's actually a metaphor for the developer heart disease), NG+ sucks, the developer is a SJW lunatic and that's about is.

You cannot ask for more. For an indie this game have exceeded all expectations and yes - it's fucking worth it. It's a good game. Disagree all you want but you cannot change this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom