Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hyper Light Drifter

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
7 hours to complete? Bundle fodder.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Finished it. Took me 13h.

From which the last boss took me 2h. And probably another 2h for backtracking. The game is very hard with KB + M (at least the last boss). You have to synchronize your character movement/actions with the mouse cursor (which is next to invisible).

Found a lot of secrets but I gave up in the end and I just wanted to finish the game (I started losing attention while backtracking for secrets).

Anyway, the game is good. Abilities and gear upgrades are really important and they allow for different tactical approaches in battles. Surprising for such a "shallow" game.

On the other hand NG+ is retarded. The player only has 2 squares of health. In most cases that means death in one hit (there are fights with 10+ opponents and one will hit you somehow). I'm not aware of other differences.

In the end I'm not sure that is worth the full price, depends on your mood. But the game and the KS campaign are a success. Kudos to the devs.

Last edited:

Ent

Savant
2 hp? wut? Man all I want from a new game + mode is all my equipment and possibly harder encounters. I do agree that the combat gets really good once you unlock some moves especially when you get into using thrusts to bounce enemies of walls and each other and using animation cancelling with gunplay.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
2 hp? wut? Man all I want from a new game + mode is all my equipment and possibly harder encounters. I do agree that the combat gets really good once you unlock some moves especially when you get into using thrusts to bounce enemies of walls and each other and using animation cancelling with gunplay.

Yeah. The game is basically the same in ng+.

More info from reddit:
"The black outfit is forced on you for ng+;"
"You have all movement and sword upgrades, but need to buy the others."

Edit: There are a couple of bosses which do 2 squares damage. So, NG+ is kind of lame.

gMZ8P7V.png

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The reaction to this game is a lot more negative than what I had thought it would be. I hear there's a lot of disappointment going around, especially at the lack of any of the stretch goals being implemented, or any of the backer boss fights being included. I had a feeling that the game was going to be unfinished when they announced that they were dropping the RPG mechanics because "it didn't fit the game". The reasoning seemed kinda flimsy and the true reason was probably because they didn't want to spend time balancing the game.

Villagkouras

Arcane
Just started it. I don't mind pixel art generally, but here the graphics could have been better/clearer. Like Titan Souls for example.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The reaction to this game is a lot more negative than what I had thought it would be. I hear there's a lot of disappointment going around, especially at the lack of any of the stretch goals being implemented, or any of the backer boss fights being included. I had a feeling that the game was going to be unfinished when they announced that they were dropping the RPG mechanics because "it didn't fit the game". The reasoning seemed kinda flimsy and the true reason was probably because they didn't want to spend time balancing the game.

The main story might be unfinished but I wouldn't know because I did not understand it.

However the game doesn't feel unfinished and the combat is balanced. Honestly, the complains are unfounded.

The devs probably spent the KS money and they had to release something. Of course, they cut some content.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Aren't you sure those boss fights aren't behind any of the locked doors? So far I've found a couple. Exploration by wallhugging is okay, but there are also a couple of hidden switches, platforms, and drops you have to look out for. It's not the first time I believe I'm taking a detour for a merchant and end up in an area with one of the triangles.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Aren't you sure those boss fights aren't behind any of the locked doors? So far I've found a couple. Exploration by wallhugging is okay, but there are also a couple of hidden switches, platforms, and drops you have to look out for. It's not the first time I believe I'm taking a detour for a merchant and end up in an area with one of the triangles.

A couple of bosses are hidden or optional.

I killed 3 (East, West and North) + 4 in South + 1 final boss which is like 8 bosses.

I just checked wiki and it seems I missed one in the North part. He is also hidden behind a door.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Any chance on more content being released later on ? That, and sucky KB+M controls are kind of preventing my purchase. Otherwise I'll just wait for a proper sale.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Any chance on more content being released later on ? That, and sucky KB+M controls are kind of preventing my purchase. Otherwise I'll just wait for a proper sale.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1661802484/hyper-light-drifter/posts/1534048

We did miss some things, for different reasons:
  • Coop: we made a hard decision very late in production that it was just too unstable to ship with this feature. We plan to tackle this soon, and if we do end up with a great version of it, will release it down the line as a free patch for everyone. It requires a fair amount of play testing and bug fixing that just wasn't possible within our timeline.
  • Online Challenge mode: this is nightmare feature to implement. We decided to avoid delaying the game any further and drop any network integration. We feel it was the best call, as we have seen other games get delayed by months for a feature that is not vital to the core experience.
There is no direct confirmation for additional content at this moment.

Ent

Savant
They are adding that co op mode for sure. I think they might also be adding the backer based stuff and additional areas later - but not certain at all. I haven't had a problem with keyboard and mouse - I switched tab and space while configuring my controls and it was so much better for me. The main problem I have control wise is that the reticle to aim the dash and direct my character is too light - I lose track of it in big fights and when the background has a lot of white in it like the northern area.
Also keyboard and mouse controls makes one of the challenges later on trivially easy.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
They are adding that co op mode for sure. I think they might also be adding the backer based stuff and additional areas later - but not certain at all. I haven't had a problem with keyboard and mouse - I switched tab and space while configuring my controls and it was so much better for me. The main problem I have control wise is that the reticle to aim the dash and direct my character is too light - I lose track of it in big fights and when the background has a lot of white in it like the northern area.
Also keyboard and mouse controls makes one of the challenges later on trivially easy.

Yep. That was my issue as well.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Game completed, not in a very completionisty way but I'd gotten like 20/32 crystals.

The game because significantly easier after obtaining a couple of updates to combat and dash I'd initially skipped. Final boss included.

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
The story concept was inspired by lead developer Alex Preston's heart disease
He stated during the Kickstarter that there was some parallelism between him and the Drifter.
I guess the NG+ with the 2 health bits are also part of this. A sickness that weakened him and made life challenger but still worth living.
The company name is also heart machine.

I am trying to get everything in this first playthrough and there is something i haven't understood yet.
There are some red pillars, that turn green once you shoot them, and usually unlock a path, but there also others that look more robust, emit a sound when shot but don't switch colours and don't seem to do anything.
Any tips on how i can activate them?

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
They're sound-activated. Cough very loudly on your computer's microphone.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The story concept was inspired by lead developer Alex Preston's heart disease
He stated during the Kickstarter that there was some parallelism between him and the Drifter.
I guess the NG+ with the 2 health bits are also part of this. A sickness that weakened him and made life challenger but still worth living.
The company name is also heart machine.

I am trying to get everything in this first playthrough and there is something i haven't understood yet.
There are some red pillars, that turn green once you shoot them, and usually unlock a path, but there also others that look more robust, emit a sound when shot but don't switch colours and don't seem to do anything.
Any tips on how i can activate them?

Shoot them with the laser gun.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Once you find all the modules from one area you can open a special door which requires all of them.

Let's just say that the fights behind those doors are boss-like.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Is the extra content worth it? I'd rather drop the game now and go back to my other weekend stuff.

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
I doubt it.

I'm starting to hate these dash challenges. Chanining those firsts dashes can sometimes be a nightmare. Sometimes i can do it without a sweat and then others it seems my fingers forgot all about it.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
From a game design perspective, this game is making me think of real-time DROD with twitch gameplay elements thrown in.

Turn-based DROD is enough already, so pass.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Crooked Bee, this seems like it would be right up your alley, given that it's a bit like Swords and Sworcery with much better art and exploration, and with Ys-like combat (though the actual combat design is much worse than the best of Ys). Also no horribly pretentious writing.

Last edited:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom