Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Hunt: Showdown

Lhynn

Arcane
Found this and thought it was p. cool

Really digging the aesthetics and the gameplay, permadeath mechanics will make hunting very tense.

spectre

Arcane
Bumping this since it's out on early access.

Here's a vid of some faggots playing it (badly).

The steam reviews are 'mixed', but a couple of my mates been thinking about getting it. I'm still on the fence, but at least its not another shitty unity game.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Escape From Tarkov is a way superior game that plays similar (except no shitty monsters in a shitty setting).

Beowulf

Arcane
I was hyped for Tarkov, so I decided to buy Hunt on a whim, since it was pretty cheap this weekend.

And I must say I like it. I personally experienced no bugs, but some people playing with me had sound issues (which could be attributed to discord, which we were using in parallel - who knows).
The game is pretty atmospheric, but in dire need of optimization.
I played a couple of rounds this morning, and I must confess, that I let myself get so immersed, that I really felt adrenaline rush near the end of a tense game.

The game basically encourages you to be the scum of the earth. You can extract (exit the map) whenever you want, but you won't earn much money that way.
It's best if you let other teams do the hard work for you and kill the boss, and then jump on them. Preferably while they're finishing the boss and severely weakened.
Or you can try to get rid of them at the beginning, so you'll have easier time fighting the boss yourself (yourselves). Or you can just camp the exit and intercept them on the way out to get the money.

I don't play multiplayer games that much, except for strategy games and simulations, but it seems decently hardcore - you loose all the Xp and equipment you had on your guy, when he gets killed (but you can hire new ones, so it doesn't matter that much, unless you over-invested in gadgets/gear). It discourages running without purpose nevertheless.
The gunplay is on the slow side, except for a few weapons and traits that allow fast shooting, which is good. Health drops quickly, and the higher ranked players advantage lies only in the gear advantage (and their experience with game).
That being said, if you are careful and learn the lay of the land, you shouldn't be at a big disadvantage after a few games anymore. There will always be the weapons capability gap, but that's not that big of a deal with most weapons.
Scoring a headshot will almost always one-hit-kill anyone regardless of their rank.

The melee is very strong, but very wonky and rather poorly implemented. Some hits wont's register, unless you're up close and counting the hair in their nostrils, but the sound effects and animations play with noticeable asynchronicity/lag.
It's hilarious - "swooosh" -> some miliseconds -> "sploosh" -> some more time -> "whoops, I'm a dead zombie, I will start falling to the ground now", while you are already on your way.
But the gunplay is good, especially if you are not averse to bolt action rifles, revolvers and shotguns. There is basic bullet penetration and there are environment interactions, in the form of exploding barrels and lamps mostly.
You can also lay traps, throw nicely designed explosives and so on.

I think the replayability will be low in long run, as there is only one map right now, and two boss types.
Also, the game will become a broken mess, with the devs loosing the sight of what's important because, as sign of things to come, they already put it in the road-map:
kWN7sB8.png

Lhynn

Arcane
The game basically encourages you to be the scum of the earth.

Only kind of MP worth playing tbh.

Also, the game will become a broken mess, with the devs loosing the sight of what's important because, as sign of things to come, they already put it in the road-map:
kWN7sB8.png
This is a shame

Beowulf

Arcane
So, I've been playing this for a couple of nights now, and I must say, that the devs seem actually competent and it looks like they know what they're doing.
The balance is rather good, the map interesting and large, with many indoor areas deigned with multiple entrances in mind.

The boss fights work as a mean to get players to the same location, which is a clever hook, I must admit.

But the game won me with its atmosphere. The theme is reinforced by the usual Crytek high level graphics, the place looks like a real life location (visually).
Even the interface is minimal and hides most things when they're not needed. You can also customize it elements.
I definitely don't regret spending my dorraru on this one.

I've been following the development of this game on and off for a few years and feared that it would end up as yet another shitty survival battle royale thing with terrible netcode and a dying playerbase.

Since the game released a few months ago and got its first major content update just the other month, I decided to buy it and I am very pleasantly surprised. This might be the only game of its type that I see myself playing for a long time. I've got a modest 12 hours in it so far, but I believe I've seen enough to outline some major differences it has over similar games and maybe convince some of you guys to give it a shot, given that its quite a unique experience. I'm not going to claim to be an expert at this game but with a K:D of >2 I'd like to think that some of my time in Fistful of Frags paid off.

Plus its on a fat, 40% off steam sale now.

From the top, this game is about hunting monsters and others players in a Weird West setting - maps are 1kmx1km in size and 12 players and 1-2 boss monsters (as well as wide variety of trash mobs with various attributes, traps, interactive objects, etc etc) randomly distributed throughout 16 locations. While superficially this makes the game sound like a battle royale game in the vein of PUBG or a survival game in the vein of DayZ or Tarkov, the game really sets itself apart in a variety of ways, and is IMO by far the best designed one of the bunch.

1. The game feels like a proper Crytek FPS - it plays smoothly, has a responsive and streamlined control scheme, and I am yet to experience any weird desync issues, it runs very well on my machine, and the feedback for both melee and ranged combat is very good. This is in stark contrast to games like PUBG and especially Dayz and Tarkov that can barely run for 5 seconds without shitting themselves. There is also no clunky inventory or looting interface either (all of the equipment you buy/find is accessed through pressing keys 1-10). There is a notable absence of survival mechanics, crafting, construction, or indeed much looting - you buy all the gear you need outside of the round and enter it stocked up, and generally speaking the only guns you pick up will be those dropped by enemy players.

2. Both game modes have an objective besides survival and collecting gear - players are incentivized to move through the map collecting clues so as to narrow down the boss' location, defeat them, and escape the map with their soul for mad cash and xp. During every stage of this other players can foil you, which can resolve in situations like having someone stalk you to the boss lair, watch you defeat it, before swooping in to kill you and run off with the boss soul. As a result of this objective-based gameplay, gunfights break out organically around points of interest that contain clues, extraction points, and the aforementioned boss lairs - the phenomenon of running through empty players for a good 20 minutes before getting shot in the head and suddenly dying is basically nonexistent here.

3. Tying into above point, the relatively compact map and player size cuts out on meaningless wandering, but moreover it also also contains some of the best locations in the genre. Crytek designed each map as an interactive combat sandbox akin to their previous games, meaning each location has a plethora of entry points and firing locations; the map is full of interactive objects like traps that can be set up to turn the aforementioned compounds into fortresses, lamps that can be turned on/dimmed/shot at to create a fiery explosion, sound traps in the form of broken glass, kennels full of starving dogs, and even lamed horses littering the fields, and even generators that can be turned on to activate strong flood lights at night at the expense of muffling nearby footsteps; various types of zombie infest the entire map to make stealth and traversal engaging even without nearby players, from your standard chaff that lazily follows you to packs of hounds that can chase down a sprinting player to easy-to-avoid yet difficult to put down "Meatheads" that effectively deny a small area with their very presence.

All of this combined means that the player is constantly faced with important decisions - should you go straight to the nearest location containing a clue that can lead you to the boss, or should you hit a resupply point to top up on ammo instead? Upon finding the boss lair, should you try to kill the boss quickly and escape before anyone else gets there, or should you camp the location and let someone else do the dirty work for you? Should you hole up in the nearest compound to take down the players chasing you or just keep moving? How will you distract the enemy holed up in a compound so that they don't shoot you to bits on entry? (Last match faced me with the last question. Upon seeing through the cracks in the walls that the movement was mostly contained by the second floor, I threw fire bombs at the windows and snuck in through the first floor, the raging fire having both obscured their sight and muffled the sounds of my steps.)

4. The game takes place in a rarely (if ever?) explored setting of a Weird Western, demon-infested Louisiana in the year 1895. The majority of the arsenal consists of single-action revolvers, lever or bolt action rifles, break-action shotguns, and the like. The result is skill-based gunplay with high-damage, low rate of fire weapons - if you've played Fistful of Frags, its a bit like that game but much more lethal. The fact that missing a shot almost always leaves you exposed for a second, if not more, means that often setting up the shot by getting the enemy exactly where you want them tactically is as important as your precision. This is on top of the game's disturbing aesthetic and G O D L I K E sound design (experienced players will be able to precisely track enemy movements based cracks of far-off gunfire, the agitation of animals in the distance, even the flight patterns of fucking crows).

In my 12 hours I've committed daring assaults against players holed up fortresses that were locked up tighter than Fort Knox, chased fleeing players through hundreds of meters of Bayou, lured a pack of monsters into a pair of unsuspecting players, ambushed two rival groups of players and put them all down, and escaped the map as I was tracked by at least two different groups converging on my location from different directions.

There is way more I can write but at this point we are reaching shill-tier spergery so for the benefit of all I will stop. However, if some sucker was actually persuaded to give this game a shot, and needs a duo partner for US East/West servers, shoot me a PM and I will make your filthiest dreams come true

Yeah that's the reason for all the sperging - I just want someone to p-play with me UwU

PrettyDeadman

I am thinking about buying it.
How does it play solo?
Is anyone willing to play duo in european region?

I am thinking about buying it.
How does it play solo?
Is anyone willing to play duo in european region?

I roll solo since none of you anti-social fucks want to play with me.

The general consensus is that solo play is harder as you will queue against duos, but 1. there are a few situational advantages a solo player gets 2. if you have patience to learn the game and play it very cautiously then you can perform as well as groups.

In general you will be pushed towards a very stealthy playstyle as a solo since you always want to get the drop on groups to overcome their numerical superiority, but any good Hunt player will be stealthy to a lesser or greater extent (you will just have to be the latter if you want to survive). Since the game is low TTK it might be frustrating to spend 30 minutes lurking around only to get #domed with a single headshot, but as the low TTK is balanced by the guns being hard to use, in time you will learn the best way to position yourself to minimize the chances of getting shot, which areas to avoid, etc (switch positions often - and immediately after taking the shot - and stay in cover, do not peek 100% of the time - and never peek the same place twice in a row).

The advantages conferred to the solo player, in no particular order. Note that these are very niche and can't be said to make solo play on the whole easier than group play but you should know when you can exploit them:

1. Better payoff at the end of the game.

2. It can be easier to escape with the bounty - each boss drops two bounties and a single player can only pick up one. So if you kill the boss as a solo player you will always end up leaving "bait" behind, making it more likely that rather than chasing you other players will converge on the dropped bounty's location instead.

3. Its generally easier to hide one person as opposed to two.

Still stealth is the most OP thing you can do in this game, I would say a solo player getting the drop on a group of two will have the advantage the vast majority of the time. I've killed many groups simply placing myself in the right place at the right time. However, in a more direct engagement you will be at a disadvantage that you will have to play very well to overcome.

PrettyDeadman

I've been playing the game with Beowulf and it is seriously fun, especially in duo.
Permadeath really changes how you play the game and makes running away almost always a viable and an attractive option.
Sound plays an important role in the game and there are a lot of things which went into making it as good as it is: sound engine is great at giving accurate representation of sound travelling from different direction and through various barriers, which means you can tell if the player shooting something at another side of the map is outside, inside a building or underground. Besides shooting, almost every actions makes some kind of a sound, the levels are littered with various enemies and objects which will generate a sound which makes you play the game really similar to how you play Thief - watching out for types of floor you step on, thinking twice before opening doors, choosing a way you approach an important location based not only on how it is open for campers, but also what kind of sound you will making walking through it.

Jinn

Arcane
Seriously one of the best multiplayer FPS I've played, and the only one to hold my interest in the past 10 years. There is absolutely nothing like it out there. Hope they continue to support it for years to come. Have about 250 hours in it, and have no doubt that I have several hundred more ahead of me.

Jinn

Arcane
0 of which are with me.

You fucking whore.

Listen, a certain bond of trust must be struck before someone ventures into the bayou with another to track down a bounty. Your evasive personality, Malkavian-esque rants, and overall strange demeanor has not inspired this trust in me. I need a partner next to me when I have a giant with a severed pigs head charging me down, while two other bounty hunters sneak up on either side of the building, not someone who's going to avoid a simple question and deflect with a paragraph of nonsense.

7h30n

Augur
Anyone else playing this gem? The game received an excellent update today which rebalances poison bullets and antidotes, maps have been also reworked a bit, reconnect feature added and most importantly creating loadouts is in! Finally, you no longer have to go through all of your equipment and set it in the slot you want, just select your custom made loadout and you are good to go.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I bought the game in July, at the same time as a few other games. Played a map or two and liked what I saw. Then got distracted playing other things.

Since then this has been a "I'd like to get back to" kind of game. Glad to hear the developers are continuing to make improvements. If I ever find time I'm sure this will be fun.

Beowulf

Arcane
It's great. I'm still playing it from time to time. Ever since they introduced better matchmaking it got easier to get into for newcomers.

Latelistener

Arcane
Bought this recently, played a couple of matches and quite enjoyed it. It's definitely not for everyone, but atmosphere and difficulty is a huge incline. Southern gothic wasn't much explored in games.

Frankly I wasn't hoping to do much in the first two hunts, but somehow managed to kill a hunter in each match, kill a boss and get out with the bounty. Seems like the matchmaking system does its job after all, unlike in let's say in Dead by Daylight where I'm regularly thrown against people with several thousands of hours.

Overall I'm glad that this game found its audience. I don't think there is anything quite like it.

Puukko

Arcane
The only reason I don't have more hours in this is because I'm not going to play it without a full gang of 3 buddies. Tried duos once and it cost me 2/3 of my cash. I really love this sort of more slow paced, methodical, atmospheric FPS over inane twitch shooters.

Latelistener

Arcane
You can opt-out of playing with trios (less rewards), which I did since I was playing those two matches solo. I don't remember what happened in the first match, but in the second one there was only one duo. Everyone else was solo.

Puukko

Arcane
You can opt-out of playing with trios (less rewards), which I did since I was playing those two matches solo. I don't remember what happened in the first match, but in the second one there was only one duo. Everyone else was solo.
Right, though for me a big part of these sorts of games is playing with bros to begin with. The actual rewards are secondary.

Reever

Scholar
Patron
The game's fun. I usually play solo for that huge dopamine rush when I kill squads though that also means I get killed more than if I were to run with a friend. There's a slight decline in that they have recently pushed more and more live service and FOMO crap. It doesn't affect gameplay but I do not understand why they have to be so greedy at times, especially for a game that is not f2p.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom