Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Human Resources, an apocalyptic RTS game by Uber (Planetary Annihilation devs) - Cancelled

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
If they wouldn't have screwed up royally with Planetary Annihilation, they might have made it. But PA has no single player, no offline multriplayer, has DRM... all the ingredients of a complete trainwreck.
Wow, that's an epic fail D: . Didn't know about that.

Whiran

Magister
If they wouldn't have screwed up royally with Planetary Annihilation, they might have made it. But PA has no single player, no offline multriplayer, has DRM... all the ingredients of a complete trainwreck.
That and I think people who back kickstarters (like myself) feel that after having done a "successful" kickstarter project that was, arguably, a commercial success (I'm still amazed at how many people bought into Planetary Annihilation at $90 USD) going back to kickstarter is... not cool.

They made money with Planetary Annihilation. Use it to build their next game. Or, if they have already wasted it, then fold as a company.

They could have leveraged Planetary Annihilation's success (while it was happening) by opening up pre-orders for whatever this game was going to be but they decided not to. Then they bailed on Planetary Annihilation before delivering on what they promised. If they are surprised by this reaction of not getting the funding for their new project they really misjudge their customers. I'm amazed that they even had the balls to try and kickstart another project.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
That and I think people who back kickstarters (like myself) feel that after having done a "successful" kickstarter project that was, arguably, a commercial success (I'm still amazed at how many people bought into Planetary Annihilation at $90 USD) going back to kickstarter is... not cool.

They made money with Planetary Annihilation. Use it to build their next game. Or, if they have already wasted it, then fold as a company.

They could have leveraged Planetary Annihilation's success (while it was happening) by opening up pre-orders for whatever this game was going to be but they decided not to. Then they bailed on Planetary Annihilation before delivering on what they promised. If they are surprised by this reaction of not getting the funding for their new project they really misjudge their customers. I'm amazed that they even had the balls to try and kickstart another project.
I don't agree with the concept that after a successful KS, a dev shouldn't come back to KS. I think they made an error starting their second KS now. They should have gone the inXile route, and started their second KS half-way through the development of their first one or started it once they were completely done with their first and everybody was satisfied with them. What they did was to start their second project right after the release of their first one, which is still a steaming mess. It being a mess gameplaywise could have been excusable, but they fucked up shit like DRM-free, offline-multiplayer and single-player is still missing in action. These aren't technical matters but strategic clusterfucks that sealed their fate.

I am quite disheartened by the way all the big gaming project that promised DRM-free handled this matter. D:OS and W2 made getting the DRM-free disk an opt-in. Broken Sword needed a full-on backer revolt before they even considered sending DRM-free disks as an opt-in. Pier Solar HD and PA are still refusing to acknowledge that Steam isn't DRM-free.

Norfleet

I told you this Kickstarter business was nothing more than an avenue for shilling the latest vaporware.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom