Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How to start out with the Fallouts now?

pippin

The problem with fo3 was about not being able to handle the lore properly. There were ufos in fo1 and you could argue about how Frank Horrigan feels like a cartoony robot, especially in comparison with The Master. If anything, FO3 feels like a fanfiction of the original Fallout, which certainly was Todd's initial intention when they started to work on the game.

Lemming42

Arcane
Well shit.:rpgcodex:

When F3 got released it had some merits. Open world was one. The main quest was fun till about half of the game. Yeah sure, the mechanics were cluncky as shit and the dialogue sucked, but I was willing to overlook those issues for some time. The real shame were all the DLC's, especially the UFO one. That was a goddamn travesty.

I've defended Fallout 3 on these forums before as a mediocre action-adventure game, but the main quest is something that really can't be defended no matter how you look at it. Dad is one of the most retarded characters of all time, the "PRESIDENT IS ACTUALLY A COMPUTER, I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN!!!" thing is completely stupid, the completely botched homage to the Master ("this is wrong, destroy yourself!" "ok"), the abysmal final battle with the shitty robot and the Enclave troops with 1HP who die if you breathe on them, the entire stupid Project Purity bullshit fiasco, the really un-intense torture scene at Raven Rock and the Colonel guy inexplicably outranking the President and ordering everyone to kill you, etc.

When I first played it back on it's release I legitimately thought the main quest was intended as an intentionally awful homage to the 50s sci-fi B-movies that Fallout takes inspiration from. I still can't figure out how they won a writing award for it.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Anyone who gave Fallout 3 an award or supports said award-giving, factually, has no soul.

And the award for writing goes to. . Fallout 3!
giphy.gif

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
Well shit.:rpgcodex:

When F3 got released it had some merits. Open world was one. The main quest was fun till about half of the game. Yeah sure, the mechanics were cluncky as shit and the dialogue sucked, but I was willing to overlook those issues for some time. The real shame were all the DLC's, especially the UFO one. That was a goddamn travesty.

I've defended Fallout 3 on these forums before as a mediocre action-adventure game, but the main quest is something that really can't be defended no matter how you look at it. Dad is one of the most retarded characters of all time, the "PRESIDENT IS ACTUALLY A COMPUTER, I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN!!!" thing is completely stupid, the completely botched homage to the Master ("this is wrong, destroy yourself!" "ok"), the abysmal final battle with the shitty robot and the Enclave troops with 1HP who die if you breathe on them, the entire stupid Project Purity bullshit fiasco, the really un-intense torture scene at Raven Rock and the Colonel guy inexplicably outranking the President and ordering everyone to kill you, etc.

When I first played it back on it's release I legitimately thought the main quest was intended as an intentionally awful homage to the 50s sci-fi B-movies that Fallout takes inspiration from. I still can't figure out how they won a writing award for it.

Well if you put it that way... After a couple of try-agains I've gave up on it completely. Even Brotherhood of Steel had better story. And to think that I bought the collector's edition before its release. Still have the Pip-Boy sitting on my desk. I use the lunchbox to store my Warhammer minis so at least something good came out of this shit-nugget of a game.

pippin

And to think that I bought the collector's edition before its release. Still have the Pip-Boy sitting on my desk. I use the lunchbox to store my Warhammer minis so at least something good came out of this shit-nugget of a game.

Those goodies looked good, to be honest. This is how you understand that current fad of selling collectors editions without the actual game in them :lol:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
No, it had no merits. There is only a ridiculous illusion of open world that is shattered as soon as you reach the Capital. The main quest is fucking retarded from Step 1. It had no redeeming qualities and the DLC just made it more clear for retards to see. Not that many of them actually realized how retarded it is to VATS head-shot a super-mutant to death with 10mm Pistol at level 2 but retards, retards never change.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
3 years ago I played all the Fallouts for the first time, in order. It was awesome, and one of my best gaming memories ever, although I did end up rushing through FO3 just to finish it for completion's sake.

I prefer FO1's compact storyline. It was the shortest of all 4 games for me, but I kind of liked the immediacy of having a ticking clock over my head for most of the game. It made me feel like the game represented a living and breathing world that would go on without me, rather than pausing while I do a bunch of side quests (although, I realize that you can buy extra time at certain points).

That said, FO2 and NV are great sprawling, companion focused, RPGs. I think both are equal in terms of storyline and companions (I actually think I prefered NV's companions overall, which might be blasphemy). NV does have Gamebryo combat, which is a definite impediment, but honestly FO1 and 2's turn based combat isn't exactly super complex either. The main virtue of those games' combat is that it can usually be avoided, where as its harder to avaoid combat in NV.

FO3 sucks in all respects, except art design and level design. In terms of art design, I do give them credit for translating the look of Fallout to a 3D setting. As much as I hate the game, I do think the look of the the interiors of the Vaults, for example, were dead on. And most of the rest of the world looked great too, capturing the general "future by way of 1950s instructional videos" aesthetic of the earlier Fallout games. Likewise, I think the basic landscape/architecture and level design of the game is great (barring some of the tedious underground tunnel sections). As much as I liked NV, for example, most of its level design tends toward the flat and functional. There weren't any cities as interesting as the multilevel Megaton, to name one FO3 example.

But while the world looks great, it's boring and doesn't have any of Fallout's flare or character. Megaton is another great example. It's like Bethesda decided that the tone of the older fallout games was "wacky" so they populated the town with a bunch of broad, wacky, sub-sitcom level characters, like that chick who makes you create a cookbook for her. Which I think is a massive misreading of tone and central conceit of the original Fallouts. The original Fallouts had some comedic elements, but they were always less broad in their comedy and much more satirical. Their comedy usually came at the expense of very specific targets and ideas, and most importantly, they were usually grounded in very realistic and very serious characters and situations, which often cast the comedic elements in sharp (and sometimes disturbing) relief.

I love playing Fallout 2 as a naive evil doer, for example. A gullible hick who does terrible things, not because he is deliberately bad, but because he just doesn't know enough about the world to not be influenced by the bad intentions of others (a play style which can be mined for lots of humor). That sort of contrast between horribleness and wide eyed, "gee-whiz," 1950s naivete is the central contrast which gives the entire series its creative spark and vitality (one needs look no further than some of the perk artwork to see it, afterall, much of which shows the smiling, cartoon, Vault Boy doing horrible, horrible, things).

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
No, it had no merits. There is only a ridiculous illusion of open world that is shattered as soon as you reach the Capital. The main quest is fucking retarded from Step 1. It had no redeeming qualities and the DLC just made it more clear for retards to see. Not that many of them actually realized how retarded it is to VATS head-shot a super-mutant to death with 10mm Pistol at level 2 but retards, retards never change.

I agree that VATS were pretty retarded, and the game itself was buggy as shit. Oh well, it's one of those memories I should probably forget about.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom