Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How to start out with the Fallouts now?

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Fallout 3 car explosions are radioactive since they make appear that "+1RAD/SEC" sign in the UI.

True too. I glanced the Wiki about Fallout universe vehicles. According with the wiki,"They are generally run on electric engines drawing power from on-board batteries or nuclear powered with a small reactor to the rear of the vehicle, but vehicles running on petrol also exist."

I thought that the vehicles were not nuclear in any sense. My mistake.

Ninjerk

Arcane
But they're not "nuclear" because the entire game is a simulation. I have a hard time thinking about what else the mushroom cloud could be suggestive of besides LOOK THE CARS ARE NUCLEAR/ATOMIC.

naossano

Cipher
Plot-wise, you should play Fo1 first, that is not a debate.
Then, you can play Fo2, FoT or FoBos in any other. Those three games reference Fo1 events a lot, but don't reference each other at all.
Once you played Fo2, you can play Fo3 or FoNV in any order. They only reference Fo1 & Fo2, but don't reference each other much.

Personnally, i started Fo2 and i deeply regret it. I'll try to spoiler things the least as possible, but there are a lot of mentions of Fo1 main factions and all of those fall flat i you don't know their stuff, as those aren't much present in Fo2.

Also, if you want to really understand some "species", you cannot do it without playing Fo1 as other games don't give them much justice. Sure, it might piss you even more about the way some late games like Fo3 handle those, but at least you would know why.

The more cohesive experience of the bunch is, as mentioned earlier, Fo1-Fo2-FoNV with an honorable mention for FoT. If you are willing to sink time with those three games, i suggest playing those more than once, with different characters and differents choices as you would miss a lot of contents if you only do one playthrough.

For those who played in any order and aren't afraid of spoiler any more, here is an interesting/funny thread :
http://www.nma-fallout.com/showthre...ed-the-Fallout-series-in-the-wrong-order-when

Paul_cz

Arcane
Gotta say, as much as Fallout 3 sucks in various respects (mostly in writing/quest/characters department) I still enjoyed the shit out of it for the exploration and general post-apo atmosphere. It was immersive and engaging. And Point Lookout was especially good.
But NV trounces it completely anyway.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Gotta say, as much as Fallout 3 sucks in various respects (mostly in writing/quest/characters department) I still enjoyed the shit out of it for the exploration and general post-apo atmosphere. It was immersive and engaging. And Point Lookout was especially good.
What did all the people coming in and going out of Megaton eat? Where did they come from? Where did they go?

pippin

What did all the people coming in and going out of Megaton eat? Where did they come from? Where did they go?

You saw that MrBtongue video, huh? He made a good point though, absence of crops makes the fo3 world quite "unbelievable", in a negative way. It's not coherent that you have so many communities (some of them small, but standing nonetheless) living out of canned goods and other kind of stuff.
Although one lady says there are mirelurk cakes.

Go straight to FO2 if you like polished mechanics/combat,
Fallout 2 makes few changes and the combat still isn't good.

FO2 is a little bit too big for its own good. There was a sense of coherence in FO1's wasteland, you feel they were going through problems which were somehow connected. In FO2, the groups of communities feel largely dissassociated from each other. At least in NV there was this moment when the interests of one faction collided with the others, so you were forced to prove your allegiance (to them or to yourself). And let's not talk about the random encounters...

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Gotta say, as much as Fallout 3 sucks in various respects (mostly in writing/quest/characters department) I still enjoyed the shit out of it for the exploration and general post-apo atmosphere. It was immersive and engaging.

Fallout 3 is mostly copy-pasta - and all those buildings around DC, you can't even enter them. The game has fast travel and level scaling. Then there's the awful animations, cookie-cut questing, window-dressing stats, characters you just wanna kill on sight, vampires and other absurdities, and just repetitive everything. As for post-apocalyptic atmosphere, I'd rather play STALKER.

Ninjerk

Arcane

You saw that MrBtongue video, huh? He made a good point though, absence of crops makes the fo3 world quite "unbelievable", in a negative way. It's not coherent that you have so many communities (some of them small, but standing nonetheless) living out of canned goods and other kind of stuff.
Although one lady says there are mirelurk cakes.

I wondered when I played the game, long before MrBtongue was even a thing. The myriad problems with the Capital Wasteland were already detailed in criticisms of the game on NMA (I think Roshambo wrote the the one I found and agreed most with?) which led me to register there. After awhile, I thought NMA kind of sucked and I started looking around again last year when I decided to get back into playing video games and stumbled on the Codex.

200 years after this nuclear war there are still old grocery stores with canned foodstuffs in them even though the only vegetation appears to be a hydroponics lab on Rivet City or w/e the name of the ship is (and I can't see how an operation that small would be enough to feed the people in the room, let alone Rivet City or the rest of the wasteland). Are the townspeople just swapping shit with the Brahmin in Megaton?

bloodlover

Arcane
I remember reading somewhere that since F1 is "timed" it can go really bad for a newbie. Is it true?

pippin

I played GoG's FO1 + mods and the time limit was there, apparently.
Edit: I'm talking about the muties' invasion.
Still, if you complete the quests of one location and then you move to another until you complete the game, you should be alright.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
There's another "limit" of sorts - Necropolis will change after the 110th day.

pippin

from GoG's forums:

The mutant invasion had no relation with Water Chip quest except you could hasten the end by divulgin the location of Vault 13 to water merchants. In that case Vault 13 would've been invaded on day 400 instead of 500.

Here is the mutant invasion occupation timer info:
Day 90 - LA: Boneyard
Day 110 - Necropolis
Day 140 - Hub
Day 170 - Brotherhood of Steel
Day 200 - Junktown
Day 230 - Shady Sands
Day 400/500 - Vault 13

I remember there being bugs that prevented some of the later occupations from happening but TeamX has restored the invasion in full force in their Fallout Restoration Mod including fixing the invasion scripts so occupations actually occur in all cases.

Applypoison

Numantian Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Start with FO1 if you play RPGs for the story/ending and enjoy the idea of typing out questions during NPC interactions (à la old Commodore64 adventure games)

Are you a retard of some kind
Just someone who enjoys learning and applying different languages, and I suspect there are other reasons people enjoyed this kind of gameplay out of King's Quest, Quest for Glory, etc.

The "Ask About..." element of FO1 added a little bit of puzzle and role-playing to FO1's NPC interactions. I wouldn't go so far as to say it was missed in FO2, but it was a plus.

FO2 is a little bit too big for its own good. There was a sense of coherence in FO1's wasteland, you feel they were going through problems which were somehow connected. In FO2, the groups of communities feel largely dissassociated from each other. At least in NV there was this moment when the interests of one faction collided with the others, so you were forced to prove your allegiance (to them or to yourself). And let's not talk about the random encounters...
That I agree with, hence why I do think FO1 nailed story & immersion better. However, I typically don't consider those to be major selling points for a vidya game, hence why it doesn't weight much (for me) when comparing franchises and sequels.

Last edited:

Ninjerk

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Start with FO1 if you play RPGs for the story/ending and enjoy the idea of typing out questions during NPC interactions (à la old Commodore64 adventure games)

Are you a retard of some kind
Just someone who enjoys learning and applying different languages, and I suspect there are other reasons people enjoyed this kind of gameplay out of King's Quest, Quest for Glory, etc.

The "Ask About..." element of FO1 added a little bit of puzzle and role-playing to FO1's NPC interactions. I wouldn't go so far as to say it was missed in FO2, but it was a plus.
It doesn't do anything important, though. I think it would be better if typing keywords could actually do some stuff that one can't through dialogues.

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
Xathrodox86 Joined: Oct 27, 2014

Well shit.:rpgcodex:

When F3 got released it had some merits. Open world was one. The main quest was fun till about half of the game. Yeah sure, the mechanics were cluncky as shit and the dialogue sucked, but I was willing to overlook those issues for some time. The real shame were all the DLC's, especially the UFO one. That was a goddamn travesty.

Perkel

Arcane
Xathrodox86 Joined: Oct 27, 2014

Well shit.:rpgcodex:

When F3 got released it had some merits. Open world was one. The main quest was fun till about half of the game. Yeah sure, the mechanics were cluncky as shit and the dialogue sucked, but I was willing to overlook those issues for some time. The real shame were all the DLC's, especially the UFO one. That was a goddamn travesty.

It's not like you had quest in which there was giant robot from cartoons annihilating enemies.
I mean if something like that would happen then fallout lore would implode.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom