Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How to start out with the Fallouts now?

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
just be aware that the first parts of both 1 and 2 are complete and utter arse and require a bit of patience but once you get past the rats and the temple youll be gravy

my suggestion would be 1 - 2 - new vegas

forget 3; its a poor mans borderlands with shit mechanics and worse story

F3 was indeed the poorest of them all. Still it was kind of game-breaking with it's rich world and pretty engaging (at times) main story. Just do the main quests first, then move to the rest. Otherwise you won't finish it.
:retarded:

For it's time I mean.:troll:

Ninjerk

Arcane
just be aware that the first parts of both 1 and 2 are complete and utter arse and require a bit of patience but once you get past the rats and the temple youll be gravy

F3 was indeed the poorest of them all. Still it was kind of game-breaking with it's rich world and pretty engaging (at times) main story. Just do the main quests first, then move to the rest. Otherwise you won't finish it.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

The only time it was good is when it wasn't made.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
All of the characters in both games fall short of

sorry

>a nuclear bomb that goes off decades after it's been dropped

In order to get a nuclear explosion, you need to combine two pieces of enriched uranium of subcritical mass into one block of supercritical mass. The problem is that when one piece starts approaching the other one, they start heating up A LOT, because they start exchanging neutrons and it accelerates the reaction of depletion, which is accompanied by a massive energy release. You approach those pieces a little more, and they become red-hot, then white-hot, then they start melting. As they continue to approach each other, melted uranium will start evaporating (4200 degrees C).

So it's impossible to bring those two pieces together, they'll melt and destroy any mechanism holding them, then they'll fly away from each other and cool off. So to actually combine them, you need to send the two pieces flying towards each other with such a speed that would supersede neutron flux density, which is at least 2.5 km/s. Then they'll hit each other before heating up too much, and produce an energy release that would give you a nuclear mushroom. Such speeds can't be achieved with any gunpowder firing mechanism, you need to use explosives, but it's still not that simple. You need a "slow" explosion, and a "fast" explosion. The first one will propel the uranium at a certain "slow" speed, and the second one will accelerate it even further, because if you give it 2.5 km/s speed with one push, it will shatter the uranium.

So you also need to detonate everything with an extreme precision (0.000001 second), which means the electronic components need to be in a flawless state, and there has to be a thermoregulator.
The explosives themselves need to be changed every other 5-10 years or they won't go off properly.
The uranium elements need to be changed every 15 years or so, or they'll degrade to the point of not being able to explode.
And there are some short-lived components with fissile material, that need to be changed quite often.

Needless to say, that bomb couldn't go off just as an idle piece of rock lying next to it couldn't do it.

So that piece of writing is stupid. But whatever. Let's examine this:

>a chick who loves looking like a walking piece of shit
Now that's just fucking retarded.

All around the Megaton bomb always was a bit awkward. Anyway, think and question about it in an dystopian universe where plasma weapons exist is a waste of time.

About the thread, i recommend start from the beginning with the first Fallout and continue with 2. I never played Tactics so i can't help there, sorry.

Perkel

Arcane
Go this way -- > Fallout 1 -- > Fallout 2 --> Fallout: New Vegas

bonus:
Fallout Tactics

Then if you really want to play something else Fallout 3 heavily modded as vanilla is shit. Best choice will be Tale of Two Wastelands which is basically Fallou3 in Fallout New Vegas engine.

Perkel

Arcane
All of the characters in both games fall short of

sorry

>a nuclear bomb that goes off decades after it's been dropped

In order to get a nuclear explosion, you need to combine two pieces of enriched uranium of subcritical mass into one block of supercritical mass. The problem is that when one piece starts approaching the other one, they start heating up A LOT, because they start exchanging neutrons and it accelerates the reaction of depletion, which is accompanied by a massive energy release. You approach those pieces a little more, and they become red-hot, then white-hot, then they start melting. As they continue to approach each other, melted uranium will start evaporating (4200 degrees C).

So it's impossible to bring those two pieces together, they'll melt and destroy any mechanism holding them, then they'll fly away from each other and cool off. So to actually combine them, you need to send the two pieces flying towards each other with such a speed that would supersede neutron flux density, which is at least 2.5 km/s. Then they'll hit each other before heating up too much, and produce an energy release that would give you a nuclear mushroom. Such speeds can't be achieved with any gunpowder firing mechanism, you need to use explosives, but it's still not that simple. You need a "slow" explosion, and a "fast" explosion. The first one will propel the uranium at a certain "slow" speed, and the second one will accelerate it even further, because if you give it 2.5 km/s speed with one push, it will shatter the uranium.

So you also need to detonate everything with an extreme precision (0.000001 second), which means the electronic components need to be in a flawless state, and there has to be a thermoregulator.
The explosives themselves need to be changed every other 5-10 years or they won't go off properly.
The uranium elements need to be changed every 15 years or so, or they'll degrade to the point of not being able to explode.
And there are some short-lived components with fissile material, that need to be changed quite often.

Needless to say, that bomb couldn't go off just as an idle piece of rock lying next to it couldn't do it.

So that piece of writing is stupid. But whatever. Let's examine this:

>a chick who loves looking like a walking piece of shit
Now that's just fucking retarded.

You spend ton of time explaining how bomb works on piece of level which was created only because game journos needed something "amazing" to see on their presentation so they could write how they nuked city in their demo at betsheda booth in their shitty mags.

Start the game, blow up megaton 7 minutes later....

Funny thing is that most Megaton residents think the bomb is harmless. There's no way that thing is still dangerous after all this time, right? That would make no sense. Its presence is kind of unnerving but the cult guys want to keep it so I guess there's no harm in it.

Hah! The fools. They don't know how a nuclear bomb works.

INDEED

Last edited:
All around the Megaton bomb always was a bit awkward. Anyway, think and question about it in an dystopian universe where plasma weapons exist is a waste of time.

The problem of the Megaton Bomb is also thematic - Nuclear weapons are something to be feared and respect in a world that was destroyed by them. The Master had a nuke in his basement and was scared shitless of it, so he put it in the deepest part of his vault, had guards around it and had the key on his most trusted lieutenant's hand, on the other side of the map, behind a army of Super Mutants.

It could've been part of a epic game-spanning quest, hell, that bomb could've been the MAIN QUEST! Why is the Brotherhood not giving a shit to a potentially active nuke? Why is the Enclave not giving a shit either? ITS A NUKE FOR FUCK'S SAKE!,

Its the equivalent of getting into the first town of a generic fantasy RPG, where you find a ancient magical superweapon on the middle of the townsquare, but everyone's ok with it because it never went off after centuries. In fact, even the local wizards nearby don't give a shit, even through their job description includes "fixing and stopping dangerous, ancient magical threats."

Then a level 2 character with some scrub skill fixes the problem in one, two minutes top.

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

The only people who know it's not just a pile of scrap metal are Simms and Burke, for some reason. Megaton is not exactly hidden so I can only surmise the BoS and the enclave don't have members with at least 30 in Repair skill. :M

Its the equivalent of getting into the first town of a generic fantasy RPG, where you find a ancient magical superweapon on the middle of the townsquare, but everyone's ok with it because it never went off after centuries. In fact, even the local wizards nearby don't give a shit, even through their job description includes "fixing and stopping dangerous, ancient magical threats."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paladin's_Quest

Last edited:

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
One should start with Wasteland, the inspiration behind Fallout. Barring that, play FO1 first. I can't give much of an opinion on FO2 as by the time it came out, for me FO1 was played to death and FO2 appeared as (lots) more of the same. Good game, but not as new or as urgent as the first.

epeli

Arcane
Just imagine what it could've been. :negative:
(Yes, I know of Codex's Van Buren project, but I'll refrain from judgement until it's done.)

Applypoison

Numantian Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Start with FO1 if you play RPGs for the story/ending and enjoy the idea of typing out questions during NPC interactions (à la old Commodore64 adventure games).

Go straight to FO2 if you like polished mechanics/combat, longevity, party management and just more content in general with a larger gamut of C&C and character development.

Drink bleach if you are thinking of playing FO3 :P It's the kind of game that puts 80% of its budget into immersion, but then the gameplay fails so hard that everything falls apart. New devs, next-gen console mentality, etc.

Play FO:NV if you want an ok mix of everything, with up-to-date assets like 3D and voice-acting. Basically what FO3 should have been, at the minimum. (The target audience for NV seemed smaller as well, which is always a good thing when it comes to media).

FeelTheRads

Arcane

True. I also think cars going off in nuclear explosions is perfectly fine because the game is sci-fi, right? Sci-fi means everything goes.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Start with FO1 if you play RPGs for the story/ending and enjoy the idea of typing out questions during NPC interactions (à la old Commodore64 adventure games).

Go straight to FO2 if you like polished mechanics/combat, longevity, party management and just more content in general with a larger gamut of C&C and character development.

Skipping Fallout 1 just because Fallout 2 does some things better is so, so, SO WRONG. Take it back.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane

True. I also think cars going off in nuclear explosions is perfectly fine because the game is sci-fi, right? Sci-fi means everything goes.

Are you talking about FO3 right? In case of that game, cars don't go off in nuclear explosions. Yes, they have a bit the "mushroom" form (Probably caused by the bethesda laziness about design other animations) but they are not nuclear .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXqvv3dN8i4

Sci-fi means everything goes... but there's limits of course. But in a dystopian world where technology is invented in different way its hard argue about why some things don't work like in the real world.

PD: Sorry my bad english

pippin

Sci-fi means everything goes... but there's limits of course.

Sci-Fi doesn't mean "anything goes". That's fantasy. Sci-Fi has that name because it has some degree of "truth" in it (at least, some elements are more plausible than others found in fantasy). I'm thinking of Bradbury, Asimov, Dick... Of course there were "out of this world" elements in their novels, but they dealt with problems which were contemporary to them (and us).

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Sci-fi means everything goes... but there's limits of course.

Sci-Fi doesn't mean "anything goes". That's fantasy. Sci-Fi has that name because it has some degree of "truth" in it (at least, some elements are more plausible than others found in fantasy). I'm thinking of Bradbury, Asimov, Dick... Of course there were "out of this world" elements in their novels, but they dealt with problems which were contemporary to them (and us).

True. That's what i wanted to say.

Cazzeris

Fallout 3 car explosions are radioactive since they make appear that "+1RAD/SEC" sign in the UI.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom