Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How to start out with the Fallouts now?

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
You gotta play the original Fallout first, and without patches.

They immediately patched the game to casul-mode after release because of perceived butthurt over time-limits

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Windows keeps multiple copies to cover all versions of DLLs to avoid the problems in the old days of a newer DLL replacing an old one and a programing requiring the old version to work.

So the VC++ Redist needs to be run to make sure you have the correct versions of the DLLs installed. This is hardly "modifying the OS".

It might be benign, but its still modifying your Windows install and lacking the courtesy to give fair warning. Its just bad practice. And why does fixt need Visual C++, can't we just copy a bunch of files over? Also note how the modder hasn't fixed the problem of the water chip quest time limit being by default 65,535 days, but then he admitted he wasn't all that good with installers...

eremita

Savant
First Fallout has much better post-apocalyptic atmosphere. It's a game with vision. F2 was obviously made by talented and smart people but it's a tangle of more or less coherent parts in the end.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I've never read George Martin's books. I wanted to start with the first one, "Game of Thrones", but then I heard someone saying that "Storm of Swords" is the best evar. Now I'm thinking of starting with that one, and then maybe I'll read the earlier ones.

And OP, don't discard Fallout:Tactics. It may not have dialogues or role-playing, but it is definetely best combat-based game using S.P.E.C.I.A.L. ruleset up to date. Exactly what a man needs after completing first two parts.

Paul_cz

Arcane
That stuff is all configurable during installation and only a retard would modify stuff from how it was done by Interplay, for the first playthrough at least.

The "purist" install claims to only fix bugs, typos, exploits, oversights. I would call removal of the water chip time limit going far beyond that. It puts the 16 bit number in the quest screen, "For disabling one of Fallout's original features, you now have 65,535 days to find the water chip, you pathetic faggot!"

Don't remember anything about OS modification, any specifics ?

Visual C++ Redist, or somesuch. Attempts to install even if its already installed.

The removal of time limit is voluntary too, I had it normally enabled when I played the game this year with FIXT. 150 days and then the vault is busted.

As for Visual C++ redist, that is a standard part of most games installation these days, there are dozens of versions and games (and this patch) include it because without it the game would crash, and the creator of the patch (or hundreds of games) have no idea if you have this specific required version installed already or not.
It is not modifying OS in any way, just installing some libraries that you can uninstall if you don't want them, not that they do any harm anyway.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
That's because we all bought the same magazine. :M

True enough. In times of old my father used to buy me these CDs with full games from magazines - CD Expert, Big Games, etc (Full Games magazine is actually not from my time), but I discovered Fallout in 2001 when I came to my current abode and discovered a old CD full of demoes, one of which was Fallout (which was in the Strategy session, weird), then by a stroke of luck I found the first Fallout being sold very cheap on promotion (8,50 R$ I think, cheaper than a GoG game today) in a shopping center. FO2 my father found in a magazine stand.

I remember that around 2003-2004, the brazilian Fallout community in Fallout Resources (today's Vault BR) discovered the existence of Fallout Tactics, which made us go on a hunt for the game until one of our members snagged it. Then, in a hilarious event that would never happen today, he started a mailing chain, where one member sent FOT copies to another member through mail, then the other member had to send FOT copies to another member, over and over. I think I was the last recipient, a bro from Rio sent it to me, I still have the CDs stored somewhere alongside my Fallout 2 CD (my FO1 CD has been lost, saddly, my FO2 CD was lost for years until recently I found it in my drawers).
In potato they attached a full version of FO1 to a gaming magazine back in 1999 and FO2 in 2000. Glorious times.

Niektory

one of some
Patron
In potato they attached a full version of FO1 to a gaming magazine back in 1999 and FO2 in 2000. Glorious times.
Would be even more glorious if they didn't cut out the intro song "Maybe" from that version for some reason (probably licensing restrictions). It made me very confused when I saw people talking about the song which wasn't in the game I played.

pippin

I would reccomend non-modded playthroughs of 1 and 2, in that order. However, removing kids from the first game broke many things, including some endings... iirc the good ending for the Followers was impossible to obtain because of this. I guess it's not really necessary to visit the EPA in your first FO2 playthrough, though.

Would be even more glorious if they didn't cut out the intro song "Maybe" from that version for some reason (probably licensing restrictions). It made me very confused when I saw people talking about the song which wasn't in the game I played.

Including full games every now and then was a common practice back then. I was able to play Starcraft and Caesar 3 because of this. :incline:

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
They did? I actually thought that I just liked "A Kiss to Build a Dream On" more and that's why I remembered that, but not the FO1 song. Huh.

iirc the good ending for the Followers was impossible to obtain because of this.

No. They only recorded a "bad" ending for it. There is no "good" ending.

you are both correct. It's impossible to obtain but not because of retardo editing.

There are two possible endings for the Followers of the Apocalypse in Fallout. One of them is described above. In the other one, the Followers were massacred by the remnants of the super mutant armies of the Master. The "happy" ending for the Followers is unavailable, and the Followers are not mentioned in Fallout 2, therefore many players have assumed that the Followers were destroyed. However, their appearance in Fallout: New Vegas confirms that the unavailable ending is considered canon, as though the Followers didn't travel further north.

Last edited:

Niektory

one of some
Patron
They did? I actually thought that I just liked "A Kiss to Build a Dream On" more and that's why I remembered that, but not the FO1 song. Huh.
Yep. The Mariposa theme plays instead in the intro.

dukeofwhales

Cipher
I actually completed FO1 and 2 for the first time in the past couple of months. I played FO1 then FO2 (back to back), and would recommend that order. FO1 is less ambitious but also feels tighter and more cohesive, and FO2 makes callbacks to the events of FO1. Combat is very simplistic but this isn't such a bad thing because it makes it easier to just laugh and reload when your NPC unloads an SMG into your back and you explode into giblets without having to worry about redoing a 20 minute combat encounter. Also, the interface has some quirks (buttons hidden behind long-clicks) so have a quick squiz at the manual, all the gameplay mechanics are self explanatory though.

In terms of mods I just used the widescreen mod and the bugfix mods suggested on GOG.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Robert Deniro is the killer and the little kid knows it. So is Johnny Depp, and he buried her beneath the sunflower bed.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
The Steam version of Fallout 1 right now is the most "out-of-the-box-ready", it seems. It already has some fixes and hacks integrated, including a modified options panel and multiple resolution support.

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
just be aware that the first parts of both 1 and 2 are complete and utter arse and require a bit of patience but once you get past the rats and the temple youll be gravy

my suggestion would be 1 - 2 - new vegas

forget 3; its a poor mans borderlands with shit mechanics and worse story

F3 was indeed the poorest of them all. Still it was kind of game-breaking with it's rich world and pretty engaging (at times) main story. Just do the main quests first, then move to the rest. Otherwise you won't finish it.

pippin

Point Lookout was kinda nice, though, especially that chinese spy mission. Otherwise, yeah, don't even bother with fo3.

Ninjerk

Arcane
just be aware that the first parts of both 1 and 2 are complete and utter arse and require a bit of patience but once you get past the rats and the temple youll be gravy

my suggestion would be 1 - 2 - new vegas

forget 3; its a poor mans borderlands with shit mechanics and worse story

F3 was indeed the poorest of them all. Still it was kind of game-breaking with it's rich world and pretty engaging (at times) main story. Just do the main quests first, then move to the rest. Otherwise you won't finish it.
:retarded:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom