Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How to start out with the Fallouts now?

Shape

Educated
Hello!
I think I should start off by humbly apologizing for not completing Fallout 1 and 2 already, but having that pointed out in the very topic name, let me explain my problem. I've pretty much finished all the mainstream fantasy (g)oldies like BG, Torment, M&M's and so on, but I was never convinced by the post-apo world of Fallout. Well, after a playthrough of Wasteland 2 and reading all the good word about the first two Fallouts I realized that it might deliver a couple days of great fun!
My questions are:
1. Which one should I start off with? I've heard some people say that F2 is much more polished in terms of gameplay mechanics, and considering how old both games are I think the slightest edge could make a world of a difference? (or am I wrong?)
2. Are there any must-have mods for playing these old fellas right now?

Thanks in advance!

TripJack

Hedonist
apology not accepted :rpgcodex:

fallout 1 is what you want, only more polished gameplay mechanic in fallout 2 is the controlling/equipping companion characters being less shit and that's not enough to warrant skipping 1

must-have mods for both games are the unofficial patches and resolution patchers, timeslip's sfall mod is nice too

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
I suggest starting with F2, then moving to 1 (retrospect for the win) and later F3, and finally Tactics. I won't comment on New Vegas since I haven't played it.

Shape

Educated
I'd start with Fallout 3.

Great mods can be found here.

Oh I forgot to point out that I have already played F3 and New Vegas. I'm looking for something with more reading and awesome dialogues (like Torment etc)

Meh, the writing in F1 and 2 is not up to par with that in F3.

Did you also like F3 more than NV? What made the writing in F3 so good in your opinion? Because I felt like the main quest was lackluster

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Start from the beginning. They're the same game even the stories are basically carbon copied. FIO1 came first so it's s'pecial' that way and FO2 is bigger, longer, and has more depth.

Shape

Educated
FeelTheRads, nevermind the F3 questions, just noticed the link to the "great mods" :P I guess I should stop asking questions on the internets, silly me :P

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Did you also like F3 more than NV? What made the writing in F3 so good in your opinion? Because I felt like the main quest was lackluster

I have not played NV as I typically dislike Obsidian's games.
The writing in F3 is much closer to that of Torment because it's more personal. In Torment you're searching for your memories, for yourself basically. In F3 you're searching for your father which I believe in the end is also a metaphor for "yourself".

It's a much deeper game than some people give it credit for, although it did win a couple of awards for its writing so it didn't go by unnoticed.

Shape

Educated
Did you also like F3 more than NV?
I think it's safe to say that everybody here did. Did you try Fallout : Brotherhood of Steel ? Great shooter, by all means.

I have not played NV as I typically dislike Obsidian's games.
The writing in F3 is much closer to that of Torment because it's more personal. In Torment you're searching for your memories, for yourself basically. In F3 you're searching for your father which I believe in the end is also a metaphor for "yourself".

It's a much deeper game than some people give it credit for, although it did win a couple of awards for its writing so it didn't go by unnoticed.

Haha, okay now I know that apparently I am doomed to be made fun of forever here, shame on me :P Thanks a lot to TripJack and The Brazilian Slaughter on helping me out in kicking off my Fallout playthrough, and I apologize for my apparent lack of knowledge in the Fallout department once again :) Atleast I brought some good laughs to some of you. Bye!

just be aware that the first parts of both 1 and 2 are complete and utter arse and require a bit of patience but once you get past the rats and the temple youll be gravy

my suggestion would be 1 - 2 - new vegas

forget 3; its a poor mans borderlands with shit mechanics and worse story

Don Peste

Arcane
Fallout 1, then 2. No mods needed, do it like a real man.
Just be sure to get to the Café of Broken Dreams in Fallout 2.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
:lol: you've been trolled a bit Shape because not having played Fallout 1&2 is a capital offense here, and with good reason.

Let me tell you about Fallout :

Fallout is probably the truest cRPG ever created. Yeah, it has its flaws, yeah the combat could be better, yeah PST has better writing (but 99% of other crpgs have worse writing), but the thing is fallout has one of the most amazingly constructed settings, and its whole design is so brilliantly layered that you feel like you're playing against an actual DM who makes the whole world react to your choices. And almost no other games have managed to pull this off (Arcanum almost did it, but not as competently as Fallout). I initially played Fallout after playing the IE games and at first it was a bit hard to get into it, but eventually I loved it. If you enjoy it the first time you finish it, you'll surely enjoy replaying it many times, trying out different builds and choices.

As much as I love Fallout 2, you should start with Fallout 1 because it's the better game due to its consistent atmosphere and focus. Fallout 2 is a great game too and it should be played after Fallout 1.

Spockrock

Augur
Fallout 2 was my first RPG, so I am biased probably, but aside from a few things that are subjective (like the quality of its content), it does have a few improvements over the original game (mostly UI stuff, like the ability to make NPCs move when they block you inside a room or a corner forcing you to load an earlier save). Fallout 2 is bigger and more fun in my opinion, and it has some very cool areas (like Vault City or Navarro). I didn't get any of that in Fallout 1, even though it's pretty much the same game, there's something raw about Fallout 1, and I liked Fallout 2 more because it felt more refined in comparison

and definitely try Fallout Tactics. it's a good game (not a very good Fallout game, though, very similar to Fallout 3 in this respect)

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Fallout 1 is a great game. Fallout 2 is a good game (mainly due to being a sequel to a great game). Fallout 3 is shite. New Vegas is a good game (the 'shite' engine kept it from achieving true greatness).

DraQ

Arcane
Start chronologically. FO1->FO2.

Not only is it the logical progression, but you'll also avoid getting spoiled, both story-wise and in terms of inevitable loot/enemy inflation.

Skip FO:T - decent enough combat, but was boring and repetitive as a whole.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Let me tell you about Fallout :

Fallout is probably the truest cRPG ever created. Yeah, it has its flaws, yeah the combat could be better, yeah PST has better writing (but 99% of other crpgs have worse writing), but the thing is fallout has one of the most amazingly constructed settings, and its whole design is so brilliantly layered that you feel like you're playing against an actual DM who makes the whole world react to your choices. And almost no other games have managed to pull this off (Arcanum almost did it, but not as competently as Fallout). I initially played Fallout after playing the IE games and at first it was a bit hard to get into it, but eventually I loved it. If you enjoy it the first time you finish it, you'll surely enjoy replaying it many times, trying out different builds and choices.

As much as I love Fallout 2, you should start with Fallout 1 because it's the better game due to its consistent atmosphere and focus. Fallout 2 is a great game too and it should be played after Fallout 1.

:bro::bro::bro:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom