Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How to protect against melee/crossbow attacks?

the_shadow

Arcane
I've been playing Underrail for 20+ hours, have hit Level 18, and pilfered almost everything in Southern Underrail/Core City that isn't nailed down. Bullets bounce of my chest thanks to a souped up ballistic vest, and energy weapons are soaked up with an energy shield. However, low speed weapons such as sledgehammers, knives and crossbow bolts are still pretty damaging.

How does everyone else deal with this? Steel armor is the best solution I've found so far, but it's heavy and doesn't help much against 100+ criticals. Riot gear doesn't seem to work as well as expected either, and carrying a shield limits to one handed weapons.

Sykar

Arcane
Low frequency energy shield + dodge and evasion work wonders from my experience. Add to that Evasive Maneuvers and Uncanny Dodge and those crossbow and melee suckers will be brought to tears.

Ziem

Arbiter
Generally in this game the best defense is to not get hit :lol:
Melee enemies get completely destroyed by acid/bear traps with quick tinkering
Crossbowmen are basically snipers (except high freq shields are garbage against them), they should be a high priority target and taken out as soon as possible (stealth can help) or disabled by a flash/molotov/psi/whatever to prevent them from shooting you. Theoretically metal armor is good against crossbows, but crits will still hurt. Evasion can also be decent, but it's unreliable (max cth reduction from evasion/dodge is 60%)

Snufkin

Augur
Evasion can also be decent, but it's unreliable (max cth reduction from evasion/dodge is 60%)
At what point should I stop spending points in evasion/dodge?

On dodge/evasion builds if you are pumping it bump it as high as you can(every lvl max it) , also use armor with max 15% penality and nimble so your dodge/evasion not only not suffer but also get 15% boost.

Another tactic is getting ballistics feat and craft tactical vest with Laminated Fabric, Kevlar Overcoat and Anti-rifle Vest. That means dumping evasion and dodge. Tactical vest tripples your dmg threshold, that means you will have huge DT.

Last edited:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
At what point should I stop spending points in evasion/dodge?
120 dodge/evasion is best, especially combined with the uncanny dodge feat (which kicks ass btw). You can live with 90 or 100.

And that's my solution to the_shadow . Uncanny dodge gives you 100% dodge over the next 3 atttacks and for each 30 points in dodge, you can dodge another attack. So with 120, I could dodge the next 7 melee attacks which means that no melee gang could ever touch me at that point.
This probably wont be so useful to a big armored char with low dodge/evasion, but even 3 attacks are good shit.

Last edited:

Severian Silk

Where does one purchase melee shields? I have not seen one in stores yet AFAIK.

hilfazer

Scholar
Melee shields only come as a part of Riot Gear armor. When crafting Riot Gear you can add a shield using metal plates or a beetle/burrower carapace.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Energy shields reduce melee damage, although not as successfully as they do against ranged (melee weapons have a % they bypass shields). You'll need a low frequency shield emitter to have the better results. The shielding type that effects melee is the "Very Low" one. You'll find them just like any other shield in shops (in time) and as loot scattered around.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom