Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware How to make the game world more immersive

Evil Melonhead

Literate
Hello there Iron Tower Studio crew! What a splendid game you have in the making, I really must commend the quality of your product! I especially enjoyed the fine music. I played the third beta demo over half a year ago and wrote a comprehensive critique, but then I decided to can it for reasons that your Sapiens cognition couldn't possibly fathom.

Anyway, here is a another mixed list of things to consider:

1) The game lore makes it clear that the civilization has descended from a technologically magnificient state to preserving bits of fairly primitive craftwork here and there. What is inexcusable is that masonry, which is the very basis of all civilization and a fairly easy skill to preserve, is all but forgotten. All the fortifications show damage from old struggles, yet it is unexplained why repairs have not been attempted. Clearly the game benefits from the sense of apocalyptic upheaval and even cities having unattended ruins, but you could explain with an NPC why the local lords lack either the funds or interest to hire brick layers and masons to restore secure walls and thus solidify their power. Did the Madooran demo address this?

2) You could search out for genuine Latin curses and swearings if you really wanted to make the people in your world to have distinct character and culture. Basically there are websites that list and explain Latin curses. If you want some assistance in finding the right insult for the occasion, I could lend some of my precious time to help you fight the decline with your crass writing. :salute:

3) The game character should become a lucrative target for thugs if his wealth exceeds a limit.
a) Sleeping in any inn would randomly result in a check for PER or streetwise, unless the event has happened before. Begin with streetwise for detecting a shady character in the lounge and then have a PER check for the attempt to pilfer some of your purse contents while you sleep, then DEX for catching the thief if you didn't catch the attempt early; begin with PER for catching a well-do looking merchant spicing your drink while you left it unattend it, then attempt CON check to not pass out if you failed. If player fails either the CON or DEX check, then the game informs that he has lost all his liquid assets, but then consoles how the thieves were content with your treasures and spared your life.
b) Leaving a city with plenty of gold has a PER and streetwise check to be extra careful for any ambush. If fail, then the player faces with a CYOA sequence to hand over all the gold, or begin a difficult fight against brigands.

If the player should lose his fortune, the game would reward him with Robbed Blind trait!

I could write these scenarios in detail if you still are willing to have something like that in your game, but since you are already so advanced, this offer might come too late.

4) While I played the third beta demo, it was possible to sequence break the Thieves Guild #1 quest. If you first snuck into the Daratan compound and killed Flavius, then you could meet his talking carcass in TG1. Is this still unfixed? It would be really cool if you could actually resolve the gate keepers' debt for having killed Flavius, but in turn they would spite you for killing one of their own.

hiver

Hello there Iron Tower Studio crew! What a splendid game you have in the making, I really must commend the quality of your product! I especially enjoyed the fine music. I played the third beta demo over half a year ago and wrote a comprehensive critique, but then I decided to can it for reasons that your Sapiens cognition couldn't possibly fathom.

1) The game lore makes it clear that the civilization has descended from a technologically magnificient state to preserving bits of fairly primitive craftwork here and there. What is inexcusable is that masonry, which is the very basis of all civilization and a fairly easy skill to preserve, is all but forgotten. All the fortifications show damage from old struggles, yet it is unexplained why repairs have not been attempted. Clearly the game benefits from the sense of apocalyptic upheaval and even cities having unattended ruins, but you could explain with an NPC why the local lords lack either the funds or interest to hire brick layers and masons to restore secure walls and thus solidify their power. Did the Madooran demo address this?
The game isnt made for mass market retards, which means things like this are expected to be understood by players themselves.

2) You could search out for genuine Latin curses and swearings if you really wanted to make the people in your world to have distinct character and culture. Basically there are websites that list and explain Latin curses. If you want some assistance in finding the right insult for the occasion, I could lend some of my precious time to help you fight the decline with your crass writing. :salute:
Fuck that shit man...

Since youre a newfag, let me explain this by saying this topic has been rehashed and rehashed and rehashed about a thousand times and the conclusions was my answer above.
(btw, fuck and fucking were ancient curse words and even Latins used it - although not in English, of course)

zwanzig_zwoelf

3) The game character should become a lucrative target for thugs if his wealth exceeds a limit.
a) Sleeping in any inn would randomly result in a check for PER or streetwise, unless the event has happened before. Begin with streetwise for detecting a shady character in the lounge and then have a PER check for the attempt to pilfer some of your purse contents while you sleep, then DEX for catching the thief if you didn't catch the attempt early; begin with PER for catching a well-do looking merchant spicing your drink while you left it unattend it, then attempt CON check to not pass out if you failed. If player fails either the CON or DEX check, then the game informs that he has lost all his liquid assets, but then consoles how the thieves were content with your treasures and spared your life.
b) Leaving a city with plenty of gold has a PER and streetwise check to be extra careful for any ambush. If fail, then the player faces with a CYOA sequence to hand over all the gold, or begin a difficult fight against brigands.

If the player should lose his fortune, the game would reward him with Robbed Blind trait!

I could write these scenarios in detail if you still are willing to have something like that in your game, but since you are already so advanced, this offer might come too late.

4) While I played the third beta demo, it was possible to sequence break the Thieves Guild #1 quest. If you first snuck into the Daratan compound and killed Flavius, then you could meet his talking carcass in TG1. Is this still unfixed? It would be really cool if you could actually resolve the gate keepers' debt for having killed Flavius, but in turn they would spite you for killing one of their own.
Okay, TL;DR version:
1. Add cover-based shooting plox.
2. Add anal ring and more shiat from Mass Effect.
3. Make it more like Fallout 3 too!!!
4. Add sex scene with Antidas.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

This is a pretty interesting idea IMO.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom