Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware How similar can a competitor's game be legally?

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Shows how much I know about who owns BG. :P

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Game companies can patent certain ideas to ensure that other companies don't use them. For example, Nintendo's patented the sanity meter from Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Reqiuem, which is why you don't see any other franchises using sanity mechanics in the same way as they did.

They also patented the + shaped D-pad, which is why the PS uses 4 buttons and the xbox uses a round d-pad. But that's a physical patent, not a software one.

Destroid

Arcane
Game companies can patent certain ideas to ensure that other companies don't use them. For example, Nintendo's patented the sanity meter from Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Reqiuem, which is why you don't see any other franchises using sanity mechanics in the same way as they did.

They also patented the + shaped D-pad, which is why the PS uses 4 buttons and the xbox uses a round d-pad. But that's a physical patent, not a software one.

That's hilarious, but also fortunate I guess since round D-pads are better for me.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Having worked in engineering and design (I'm a draftsman, I work in oil and gas) this is the kind of thing I was on about when I thought there would be a 'has to be at least x% different' type law, which is the case for engineering designs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom