Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How not to suck at combat

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Anyone tried a space marine (PWA + Bolter) yet? It's on my list of "fun stuff to do in AoD"

Shadenuat

Arcane
Another thing about Dodge - I think counter attacks with heavy weapons should have smaller chance to hit (if they don't already). That feeling when you strike an axeman dodger with dagger and he counter attacks for massive damage.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I've never understood why counterattack functionality was combined with dodge.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
I noticed that counter attacks use different types of attacks according to the weapon used. Daggers use flurry, the gladius uses power attack, sheadvagsomething (the big axe everyone uses) uses fast attack...

It's something to consider when making builds, methinks.

Tigranes

Arcane
I love the balancing on Power Armour - many characters have to make interesting choices between the best armour they can get their hands on & power armour.

E.g. as a 10AP blocker, I could get 21DR block with Honour-Bound, or even, once I got the Widowmaker's armour (I think), 23? 24? Whereas power armour gives you 14 upon block. In cases where you cannot avoid being hit by heavy swingers, I took off my power armour; no point having STR or DEX or regen bonuses if you are hit for 10 damage each time, whereas with my best armour and block I could reduce that to virtually zero.

Also love how you can switch between PWA modes on the fly during combat, although that does make cheesing even easier. (Poison guy, run away from him for 3 turns, poison again; or use that +3 DEX bonus to AP to spam fire vials and kill any single enemy in 1-2 turns).

Pegultagol

Erudite
For the life of me I can't figure out how to beat the barbari in the Arena,

and is blocked at Monastery,
possibly bugged at Gaelius faction quest,
can't get past the golem in the Inferniae village after they throw you down the hole
can't do anything at Zamedi or Hell Gate or Dead River
can't find anything at the Arch
can't get past the Slums in Maadoran
can't fight the thugs with Power Armor

Here are the stats
2zdoz07.jpg

oqlq4h.jpg

Am I screwed?

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I'm afraid you are, yeah. Your SP is spread far too thin. Also 3 dodge, 7 block - just don't. Always focus on one of those.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Am I screwed?
If you haven't solved Monastery yet you should be able too, get tower shield and side with raiders - should be enough to eventually get through.
With 7 swords and shield you can kill demon in Inferiae. He is a lot weaker than one in Zameddi.
Same goes with Arena. Arena is possible with even bit lower stats. Git gut, use nets and bolas. Focus hammer dude a bit first, then switch to sword guy - he has strong DoT attacks. Try using faster weapon since your DEX sucks.
If you can deal with demon at Inferiae, get out (don't forget to get a rope & hook somewhere) take his heart and bring to Zameddi. At least you'll be able to check what's inside.
Can't you use Persuasion on a dude in Hellgate? He will give you an amulet to pass around droids, you just need to kill 1 droid somehow.

Tigranes

Arcane
3 Dodge 7 Block is a terrible idea, as is your weird effort to put a lot of civil skills at 2. This is sort of like spending 3 skill points across outdoorsman, gambling, science and repair when you level up in Fallout, or something. There's no good reason to put anything at 2 unless you're going to put it up to 3/4 at least at some later stage, or you need that 2 for an early Teron check.

That said, you're not stuck. I don't know what 'blocked at monastery' means, but your character is still good enough to beat the Barbari or beat the Monastery villagers. Your guy isn't that bad at fighting.
You should also be able to just go to Ganezzar join Meru & also do a lot of the quests there, though I don't know why you think Gaelius quest is bugged or how.
Why is your equipment so terrible? Even without crafting, you should be able to find armour better than a standard lorica segmentata. But where the hell have you spent all your money in that case?

Pegultagol

Erudite
Thanks guys, I just played without any plan in particular and seems to have fallen into some hard times. Should have specialized more, especially when I got dialog checks that I couldn't clear at Teron.

I was able to beat the barbari and some other challengers thereafter in the Arena after buying some nets and whetstone and backing off after bleeding or poisoning them. Looks like looting the items yield far better amour and weapons that can be used right away. I really didn't have any money, but got a nice boost from one of the Basil's shakedown missions so I think I am ok there.

The Gaelius quest involved my char going back to report to him about the discussions with Meru at first, but I can't seem to find the bastard nor find a way to reach him. I suspect he is still at his palace in Maadoran, but I can't get past the Centurion at the palace gates. I guess I should side with Meru if there's no other choice. The monastery I spent too much time away after triggering the raider conversation and failed it. But I learned that by starting the conversation with the healer in Maadoran, not going back to follow through the questline. There were some instances that the game automatically 'assumes' that you are privy to certain information, especially place names that just pops up in conversation without prior knowledge or introduction.

Guess I should go and fight the demon and also go back to the Dead River, and try my luck there. Thanks again for your help.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
Pegultagol, here are some tips for the future (since you ARE going to replay this game, I'm sure):

- Pay more attention to the associated stat for every weapon. You chose swords, but you have 9 str and 6 dex. Swords are dex weapons, so if you switch these stats around and you would be a bit stronger.
- Dagger + Sword: choose one weapon and stick with it. That 5 SP you spent on daggers could've been used to improve your CS (along with another 5 from general). Also, IMO, if you're going for CS, dagger is a better fit than sword.
- Block + dodge: choose ONE defense and stick with it. Dodge is better :martini:
- If you're just starting the game, don't try a hybrid character. Play a pure fighter with the Imperial Guard questline, so you get the hang of AoD's combat. A pure fighter-IG can dump both INT and CHA and lose very little in the process
- Constitution: your CON is too high for a hybrid. If you were a pure fighter, 7 CON would be ok, but as a hybrid it's a massive waste. Again, don't try to make a hybrid on your first playtrough
- Your charisma is ok. Did you remember to get training from Dellar before leaving Teron? + Dodge + Sword and +CS, perfect for your build
- Did you do the problem solving questline? Great way to get some free xp with a couple of easy fights. That and Kemmebi's quest, both perfectly doable with your character

Pegultagol

Erudite
Hey Eyestabber, thanks for all the great tips! I really did flub missing the point about the sword being DEX weapon. Next time I start out with new character will go for dodge and sword or dagger like you suggested. And maybe specialize in either Alchemy or Crafting.

I remember rejecting the IG commander to ambush some caravan in the beginning and digging myself further all around, reloading often. I managed to get out of Teron when all seemed lost and I was at a dead-end, and again at Maadoran (by betraying the co-conspirators).

I did the Kemmebi's quest, which was one of the highlights for this guy's fighting career. Also moved up ranking in the Arena fights too. But the faction quests are all screwed up though, can't report back to Gaelius after conversation with Meru, Meru comes back to Ganezzar like nothing happened after I wanted to loot some Aurelian soldiers in the first event during trip to Al-Akia. I still hold out hope that I find something that will get me through. No luck in Hellgate, the demon in Zameddi (?) kicks some serious ass without me being cooperative or not, only path forward is through Dead River it appears, lol.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Dead River is harder than Hellgate for melee character, especially if he isn't built well.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
Hey Eyestabber, thanks for all the great tips!
No problem. :greatjob:

Next time I start out with new character will go for dodge and sword or dagger like you suggested.
Sword + dodge (no CS) is probably the easiest route. Buy "Dreamweaver" as soon as you reach Maadoran from "The Imperial Trader" inside the Commercium building. Awesome weapon with HUGE THC bonus that can carry you all the way to the end. Actually, your current character can still buy it, no?

And maybe specialize in either Alchemy or Crafting.
Alchemy is arguably stronger, but crafting is more straightforward and consistent. I suggest crafting, since it's a flat +1 damage at every even number. Remember to buy every single whetstone!

I remember rejecting the IG commander to ambush some caravan in the beginning and digging myself further all around, reloading often.
That first fight is tough, yeah. IG is not really meant for hybrids (it's doable, but very hard).

I managed to get out of Teron when all seemed lost and I was at a dead-end, and again at Maadoran (by betraying the co-conspirators).
It means you "left early" twice, thus missing all the "main quest XP". Your character is probably lagging SP-wise. A lot.

But the faction quests are all screwed up though, can't report back to Gaelius after conversation with Meru, Meru comes back to Ganezzar like nothing happened after I wanted to loot some Aurelian soldiers in the first event during trip to Al-Akia.
Did you stumble upon a bug? If you did, send your save to the ITS guys.

I still hold out hope that I find something that will get me through. No luck in Hellgate, the demon in Zameddi (?) kicks some serious ass without me being cooperative or not, only path forward is through Dead River it appears, lol.
Zamedi is an optional area, if you can't defeat the demon, skip it. Bear in mind that no matter how screwed up your game is, you can still finish it by reaching the end game location and going with one of the choices presented there. Your best bet is to fight the enemies at Hellgate and Dead River and choose whichever route you find easier to reach the endgame location. Against the enemies in Dead River, antidotes help a lot. In Hellgate high armor DR results in most attacks hitting for zero damage. Don't bother with finding the Divine Spear in Hellgate, just go for the exit.

Pegultagol

Erudite
I see the end through Hellgate, I guess I will have a go at it. I was confused to all heck because my character suddenly had realizations I didn't know he had, what an oracle he is. Dead River lived up to its name very well.

And
2zqsy8k.jpg

I think the game is not in a mood to offer me another chance anymore.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Sword + dodge (no CS) is probably the easiest route. Buy "Dreamweaver" as soon as you reach Maadoran from "The Imperial Trader" inside the Commercium building. Awesome weapon with HUGE THC bonus that can carry you all the way to the end. Actually, your current character can still buy it, no?
This. I actually played the whole Arena and most tough fights with just 7 in Swords thanks to that awesome weapon. Even at endgame i again switched to it, because of high THC and everything you can do with it. I play a 10AP blocker with sword and rule every fight. Exception was the Thieves encounter-ambush in slums, which was uber tough even if "prepared".

Tigranes

Arcane
7 Sword? You only need 5 for almost every fight if you have Dreamweaver, including Zamedi demon. Possibly knock it up for Agathoth. Swords are an underwhelming skill, but Dreamweaver makes it very powerful. The merchant dagger at start of Maadoran can do a similar boost for dagger characters.

I keep saying don't overlevel your weapon skills, BTW, because that can help you make your character stronger - those points can go to civil skills, CS, or alchemy/crafting. Often I see people pointlessly overlevel their weapon/defense when, sometimes, investing some of that SP on alchemy or crafting would make them better combatants.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
7 Sword? You only need 5 for almost every fight if you have Dreamweaver, including Zamedi demon. Possibly knock it up for Agathoth. Swords are an underwhelming skill, but Dreamweaver makes it very powerful. The merchant dagger at start of Maadoran can do a similar boost for dagger characters.

I keep saying don't overlevel your weapon skills, BTW, because that can help you make your character stronger - those points can go to civil skills, CS, or alchemy/crafting. Often I see people pointlessly overlevel their weapon/defense when, sometimes, investing some of that SP on alchemy or crafting would make them better combatants.

Kind of depends on a weapon, doesn't it? Sword passive is shit, so you're indeed better off leveling other skills, perhaps Alchemy for a DoT build.

Axes, though? The passive is so good, its definitely worth having it as high as possible.

Same with Daggers. You need to be able to land aimed attacks for passive to even make sense, so you need to raise it high.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
7 Sword? You only need 5 for almost every fight if you have Dreamweaver, including Zamedi demon. Possibly knock it up for Agathoth.
I like comfort, what can i say. I had quite a good time without nailbiting THC or using nets everytime. There also was enough room for 6 Alchemy very early on and now 7 Streetwise which spiced things up. Now, at end game, i am experimenting with lore/crafting but it kinda tightly coupled with PER/INT, so canno do much with it anyway.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

If you fight that Ordu guy in Ordu camp, you need 10 sword, or legs hit to lower his dodge is something like 15%, not very manageable.

Urbanolo

Augur
So I just completed my second playthrough with dagger - crit assassin and I have to say that daggers are much much stronger than axes if you have the points to invest in the critical strike and are also much more satisfying. I've killed Agathoth in 2 turns on my second try (bleeding 20hp on top of crit damage is just too much).

If somebody here haven't played with (small) daggers yet, I encourage them to try. You don't even need to level crafting, because you'll get 2 amazing daggers in the mid game and in the late game in Maadoran.

Tigranes

Arcane
If you fight that Ordu guy in Ordu camp, you need 10 sword, or legs hit to lower his dodge is something like 15%, not very manageable.

Interesting. I've beaten him without much trouble recently with a ~7 axe, though, and I doubt 10 Sword + Dreamweaver (which is like, what, 160 Attack Rating?) is necessary for anybody. I'll see how he is next time I fight him.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Interesting. I've beaten him without much trouble recently with a ~7 axe, though, and I doubt 10 Sword + Dreamweaver (which is like, what, 160 Attack Rating?) is necessary for anybody. I'll see how he is next time I fight him.
I have 140 with -20 from low PER/Shield (i know... 6INT wasted, should've gone with 6 PER). That's like 35% on Agathoth.

Also why torturing yourself? I had 10/10 combat build and could repair the light bridge at the end and checkout pretty much every location.
I do want to try a more social lore "explorer", so i would probably tone down the weapon skills then. For the first run/combat build i had good fun being straightforward.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom