Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How Much Will They Make!

How Much Will D:OS II Make?

• $1,000,000 - More Than Divnity: Original Sin

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • King Comrade

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • $2,000,000 - Bards Tale Defeated - Pleb Tier

Votes: 56 55.4%
  • Everyone Will Ask For Refund

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • $3,000,000 - Wasteland 2... WASTED!

Votes: 12 11.9%
  • $3,500,000

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • $4,000,000 - More Than PoE?!

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • $4,500,000 - Torment Breaker!

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • $5,000,000

Votes: 6 5.9%

• Total voters

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Will Change The Maximum Amount If Needed.
I think this makes my guess obvious though..

DOS2.php

DOS2CD.php

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
4,5 or 5 million, depending on how soon the Codex fundraiser starts.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I say they will raise at least $2.000.000. They will get the $1.500.000 MCA stretch goal and put Bard's Tale 4 in the dust.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
depends on stretch goals

MCA announced and other cool stuff: 2.5-3 millions at least
A bunch of Lair beneath the phantom forest!11!! category goals : 1.5-2 mills at the most

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I say they will raise at least $2.000.000. They will get the $1.500.000 MCA stretch goal and put Bard's Tale 4 in the dust.

Bard's Tale IV actually had more money than D:OS 2 at this point in its campaign.

Gotta wait and see how low funding will fall during the mid-KS slump. Starting your campaign right before PAX Prime is a bold move.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
The biggest KS craze seems to be over and I think 2m is probably as good as you are likely to get in this day and age for 'classic RPG' types of games.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Bard's Tale IV actually had more money than D:OS 2 at this point in its campaign.

Gotta wait and see how low funding will fall during the mid-KS slump. Starting your campaign right before PAX Prime is a bold move.

Bards tale had shitty Backer Tiers and was never a highly anticipated game outside of certain niche communities.. I think we all saw it coming after Torment.
I think anyone who wanted a Bards Tale - backed it immediately and everyone else (me included) had Tile-based GURP fatigue, probably as a result of Legend of Grimrock 2.

I didn't back Bards tale that's for sure. DO:S II was an instant backing for me.. but who knows. You could be right.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't know, how much do you think they'll make!

This is fun, isn't it!

Asking questions with an exclamation mark at the end, could anything be more edgy!

just think how many goats for black africa could be bought with this hedonistic western money

for shame

RAYCISS imperialist western scum, check your privilege. Goats are worth more than silly scraps of paper, they must be traded for goods of similar utility value. Like cows, firewood or women.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I was way off on Shadowrun Hong Kong if I remember correctly.

I will say $2 mil this time.

4verse

Literate
my estimate (based on 5 imo comparable past kickstarters):

CNlH4a0VEAAcw-7.png

btw: we got 1mil at around day 5 ... :)

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Getting more German speakers on the Codex is always a good thing. Soon we can have a dual language front page.

Fairfax

Arcane
Considering this picture:

RWXEcCl.png

The worst case scenario (biggest, fastest drop) is probably Bard's Tale IV, while Pillars had the most balanced campaign :lol: along with Bloodstained.
D:OS II made ~975k in it's first 3 days, so worst case scenario they make ~$1,477,000.

Best case scenario is Mighty No.9 (lowest percentage in the first 3 days), which is nothing like this game, but for the sake of testing: $3,250,000.

But then again, this is an established franchised and a sequel to a successful (the most successful KS RPG so far), highly praised game with plenty of content and media exposure already. I don't think there's a similar case with a CRPG on Kickstarter, so it's hard to tell. The exposure probably means it won't gain as much traction in the middle days because a lot of people know about it already.
Assuming none of the upcoming stretch goals blow people's minds (although they're pretty good so far), I'd say it'd be closer to Torment than Pillars, so basically more like Wasteland 2, which had ~43% of its funding in the first 3 days.

Anyway, my guess would be $2,500,000.

Fairfax

Arcane
[More stats]
Average pledge per backer:
Torment: $56
Project Eternity: $54
Wasteland 2: $48
Divinity OS: $48
Divinity OS II: $45

I'll compare Torment: Tides of Numenera and Project Eternity's campaigns to explain what I think Larian should do.

The two projects had basically the same number of backers: 73,986 backers from Project Eternity x 74,405 backers for Torment, the pitch was very similar, the genre was the same and the context for each developer was basically the same, except PoE had a dream team in its description (in theory, at least) and the big names for Torment came as stretch goals.

Torment had merely 84 backers at $1000 and above, while Project Eternity had 183.
Torment earned $186k with them, while Eternity made $274k.
Why? Because the big donor stuff was more interesting, simple as that. With $1k on Eternity you had the backer NPCs. With 5k you could get an inn, tavern or enemy company. The same $5000 pledge to Torment gave you an obelisk. Boring.

Ok, so PoE beat TToN among big donors by almost 100k, how come Torment made 200k more overall?
The B league: $100-1000?

Actually, no:

pillarsxtorment11us2p.jpg

(I included the $95 tier because that's where it started for TToN and it's just 5 bucks)

That's only a $29,325 advantage for Torment. That means what made the difference for Torment was actually the little guy, who paid less than $95 for it:

pillarsxtorment20lswi.jpg

Eternity actually had a few more backers there, but Torment made $315,487 more. This is what made the difference in the end.

Eternity had more than 2 times as many "whales" as Torment, made only $30k less than Torment in the $100-1000 range, but lost in the little league.
I think Larian should focus on making the $20-30 folks increase their pledges rather than the more expensive tiers. It doesn't hurt to get more big donors, of course, and they should go after them as well, but in the big picture they don't make that as much of a difference.

One problem with D:OS2 is that people don't have many options below $100. Divinity: OS II has 6 options below $90. Torment had 11 and Eternity had 7. Not to mention the $90 pledge itself doesn't have a lot of value. It's basically a 4-pack with a $10 discount. Each player would have only a $2.50 discount compared to backing the project themselves, yet one person would hold all the keys and pay the money upfront. It's not exactly that easy to get 4 people to commit so long before the game's release either.

They should keep in mind that - according to Steam - only 6.1% of D:OS players have finished the game. How many will finish the sequel in 4-player co-op mode? It's a limited group.

The pledges between $51-80 are also very important, not just the mid $40-50 ones. As is shown above, Torment made 19% of their sub-$100 funding there, at $429k. Eternity, however, made only 16% and $310k.
Considering the difference in the end was $315k, the extra $119k is more than a third of Torment's advantage.

I was looking at the most requested features on uservoice; some of them have been included in the game already, while adult mode and day/night cycle seem to be off the table.
Out of the stretch goals that could make people increase their pledges, I'd say a mod tool and MCA would be the best stretch goals they could add (out of the top suggestions, that is).

Anyway, so what is my conclusion, if I had to give Larian advice?

- Add at least 2 new tiers between $60 and $80.

- Add 1 tier between $30 and $50, if possible.

- Digital soundtrack for every pledge of $50 or more.

- Free copies of the first game in some of these tiers. Even some people who have already played the game would be interested in giving it away, potentially creating another new customer for the sequel. This was very successful for Torment, which gave you Wasteland 2 for $45 or more. Almost 14% of Torment's backers chose that option.

- MCA as stretch goal. Obvious reasons.

- Mod tool. Good RPG with cool mods, it's hard to think of someone as universally liked as that. I mean, if you don't want them, don't use them, so it doesn't make a difference to people who don't like them, but a lot of people do, and they're a big portion of the players that keeps playing and talking about the game over the years. It adds longevity, more content, happier customers, and so forth. It's a no-brainer.

- Better expensive tiers for big donors. Yeah, I said above that they didn't make a huge difference, but any extra money is good, right? Eternity got that right and they made almost $100k more than Torment among the big donors. Larian has 20/20 hindsight, they can strive for the best of both worlds.
People like in-game content. At $1k you could get a character in the game. With D:OS 2, gets you a painting of your likeness in-game and a physical copy of it. Cool, I guess, but not nearly as interesting as your own NPC. Not to mention you can already get that in-game painting with the $500 tier. They do have the "all Larian games for 10 years thing", which is really cool, but not your permanent mark in the game. Plus that means what, 4 games, best case scenario? It's not a lot.

$2.5k has no extra in-game stuff, same for $5k. You only get something interesting at $10k, and it's only one "high-ranking NPC". It's no wonder they only have 4 backers paying $1000 or more at the moment. That's 3 at $1000 and 1 at $2500. Big donors need better incentives to pay top dollar. Eternity had NPCs, weapons, items, inns, taverns, enemy companies and so on. That's one thing they got absolutely right, and it's also much more attractive to communites to raise funds, just like the Codex, GameBanshee and NeoGAF did for Project Eternity.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Anyway, this is just my two cents. I'm no game developer or crowdfunding expert, but I think many of the numbers speak for themselves. This took more research than I expected, but I really like Larian and what they're doing, and I wish them great success with the Kickstarter. Besides, who knows, maybe someone there stumbles upon this post and thinks at least some of what I said makes sense.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom