Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview "How Kickstarter Saved Obsidian" - Kotaku interview reveals cancelled Obsidian RPG Stormlands

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
No details about that project except the Stormlands title? My curiosity was supposed to be satisified, not teased!

EDIT: Anyway, JES being the only person wanting to kickstart this type of game is no surprise. Lack of passion for the project is clearly visible in the final product (and in the documentary too).

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
I don't care about the shit that got cancelled, I care about the shit they should be making. Of which there is ZERO news.

What's been the return on kickstarted sequels of kickstarter games so far? You'd think that without the tabula rasa of an open appeal to nostalgia ("remember all those things you - yes you - loved about the IE games? Well we're bringing them all back!") you'd never get the amount of enthusiasm and cash you got for the original, whether you ended up liking the game or not. Would be a nice test of VD's argument that Kickstarters are all about selling dreams: once there's a clear template, do you still have Blaine fanatics poneying up 10 grand a pop?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What's been the return on kickstarted sequels of kickstarter games so far? You'd think that without the tabula rasa of an open appeal to nostalgia ("remember all those things you - yes you - loved about the IE games? Well we're bringing them all back!") you'd never get the amount of enthusiasm and cash you got for the original, whether you ended up liking the game or not. Would be a nice test of VD's argument that Kickstarters are all about selling dreams: once there's a clear template, do you still have Blaine fanatics poneying up 10 grand a pop?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/shadowrun-returns
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/shadowrun-hong-kong

Diminishing returns - although the latter was a very low effort Kickstarter campaign.

It's pretty much the only major example we've got.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
With Project Eternity, they wouldn’t have to worry about a publisher...setting unreasonable expectations.

Nope, just themselves. :)

We hear—and report—a lot about Kickstarters that over-promise and under-deliver

Like Pillars of Eternity. :smug:

Confirmation that Feargus was really skeptical/reluctant about Kickstarter isn't surprising in the slightest.

Diminishing returns

Wouldn't seem to bode well for your hope that PoE will follow the Baldur's Gate trajectory.

Probably the only thing that could've blown the PoE kickstarter out of the water would be a Fallout spiritual successor. When they still had MCA, they could've fielded pretty much the entire dev teams of FO 1 and 2 (PoE would probably have done even better if it had Gaider as lead instead of Sawyer ;) ).

Weasel
Surely a successor doesn't need to raise as much as the original though, and still can improve on the first game? With SR for example, the first campaign is all about trying to get the game built from scratch, "this game won't exist without your backing". They had to build up a team, tools and the base game.

With SR:HK they have revenue from the first game as well as foundations in place and a more experienced team. So it seems reasonable that they could make decent improvements even with just a "top up" KS. And I'd guess there will always be more excitement on KS for something new than iteration on the same project, which is probably as it should be.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
When he laid those people off he did reveal that the Obsidian founders had gone without paychecks for months to keep the company afloat. :)

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Sawyer_5.png

naossano

Cipher
HBS almost said they didn't want more money at some point of the HK campaign.

Anyway, the whole point of the kickstarter is to kick the start. If you need the KS to keep going after that start, there is a problem...

I was under the impression that those profits were plugging-holes-in-sinking-ship money.

I don't think so. Feargus seems like the type of guy who lays people off before the ship starts taking on water.

Maybe I'm getting you wrong, but he doesn't strike me as the type of guy who sets aside PoE profits for a sequel when it could've been used to save a dozen jobs in his company. Obsidian seems to be part development studio, part welfare program for his old dev buddies rotting away in mobile games purgatory.

I'm guessing if they do a sequel, they follow Roger Corman's Carnosaur sequel approach: expect consistently diminishing returns, and aim appropriately lower with each new kickstarter.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Maybe I'm getting you wrong, but he doesn't strike me as the type of guy who sets aside PoE profits for a sequel when it could've been used to save a dozen jobs in his company.

Including the jobs of the people working on the sequel? :P

Obsidian seems to be part development studio, part welfare program for his old dev buddies rotting away in mobile games purgatory.

O_o

All I know is that in the documentary, Adam Brennecke says "we were running out of money". That implies they had some kind of emergency fund of money to run out of. And they sure had enough cash to put together a fairly fancy Kickstarter campaign.

Duraframe300

Arcane
When he laid those people off he did reveal that the Obsidian founders had gone without paychecks for months to keep the company afloat. :)

Exactly. The founders including Avellone and Feargus got by without paying themselves for months in the hopes of keeping the people on.

Maybe I'm naive, I just don't get why they aren't going the InXile route: as one game moves to a certain development stage the next Kickstarter launches.

It just seems like a pretty guaranteed way to have a somewhat regular stream of funding,for a "proven" developer with a fan base.

Maybe I'm getting you wrong, but he doesn't strike me as the type of guy who sets aside PoE profits for a sequel when it could've been used to save a dozen jobs in his company.

Including the jobs of the people working on the sequel? :P

People he has to let those go after the sequel sales disappoint ;). Feargus'd have to be convinced that topping off the kickstarter budget with millions of company money would result in commensurably higher sales, which'd essentially come down to gambling on PoE-kickstarter-fatigue being offset by enthusiasm after release instead of everyone going "look, an IE nostalgia project, we haven't seen that in a whole year."

Unless you're saying that they'd have no russian mmo's/whatever for those people to work on anyway, in which case I guess it might make sense. I'm mostly just talking out of my ass anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom