Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview "How Kickstarter Saved Obsidian" - Kotaku interview reveals cancelled Obsidian RPG Stormlands

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: J.E. Sawyer; Microsoft; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity; Stormlands

Obsidian have spoken before about how the Pillars of Eternity Kickstarter saved the company, most notably in their recently released documentary, but the details behind that occurrence have always been a bit vague. A new interview with Josh Sawyer posted over at Kotaku yesterday sheds some more light on what Obsidian was going through in 2012. It officially reveals the name of Stormlands (previously known to fans as Project North Carolina), a Microsoft-published RPG for the then-upcoming Xbox One whose cancellation in March 2012 led to the layoffs of 30 people. Perhaps more interestingly, it also reveals that Josh Sawyer himself had to drag Obsidian kicking and screaming into the Kickstarter era. It seems the management simply did not believe in it.

The idea was compelling to some at Obsidian—including a few other staffers who had independently suggested or thought the same thing—but some of the higher-ups disagreed, Sawyer told me. Some were skeptical that they’d even be able to raise over $100,000, let alone hit any sort of reasonable budget for a modern video game.

“I think because the company was in such a bad state at that time, it was very difficult for everyone,” Sawyer said during a recent phone interview. “I made it very very clear that we needed to do a Kickstarter. I couldn’t see any other way for us to move forward, because we were getting offered contracts that didn’t seem like they were gonna go anywhere—people were not really interested or excited about doing them. It seemed like we were letting a perfect opportunity slip out of our fingers.”

For a while they debated, arguing over how it’d make them look, how much to ask for, and whether people would care enough to crowdfund one of their games. Things got heated—I’d heard a rumor that Sawyer threatened to quit in the midst of these arguments, and although he says he never actually did, he acknowledges that the situation was tense. This isn’t some sort of big secret—in the first episode of Road to Eternity, Obsidian’s documentary on the Kickstarter process, various higher-ups at the studio talk about how in 2012, their future seemed dismal.

The debate ended in the spring of 2012, when two significant events turned Obsidian’s Kickstarter from argument into inevitability.

Event one was the Double Fine Adventure, which came out of nowhere in February of 2012 to break records and usher in a whole new era of crowdfunding. Their Kickstarter, helmed by the inimitable Tim Schafer, promised a point-and-click adventure that would evoke fans’ nostalgia for games like Grim Fandango and Full Throttle. It raised a whopping $3.3 million, exponentially more than anyone thought a video game could ever get on Kickstarter. (Previous Kickstarter games had usually capped out in the thousands or, at best, the tens of thousands.)

The second event was grimmer—in March of 2012, Microsoft cancelled the RPG they’d contracted Obsidian to make for their new Xbox, which was then called Durango. Obsidian was calling the game Stormlands, according to a source, and they’d designed it to be one of the Xbox One’s premiere RPGs, but Microsoft axed it during a final greenlight meeting. This was a brutal one—Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart called a company meeting shortly afterwards and, choking up, announced that they’d be laying off 30 employees.

At that point, to Sawyer and some others at the company, Kickstarter seemed like the only option. Maybe Obsidian could do for RPGs what Double Fine had done for adventure games. Isometric 2D role-playing games weren’t exactly in fashion—publishers didn’t think they’d sell well enough to be worth investment—but Obsidian was made up of people who had worked on games like Baldur’s Gate and Icewind Dale. If anyone could bring the genre back, it was them.

“We saw a closing window,” Sawyer said. “We said look, somebody is gonna try to Kicsktart a game like this. Somebody is going to try to Kickstart an ‘isometric 2D background with 3D characters, real-time with pause, fantasy role-playing game.’ There’s no way that this is going to go untapped for that long. There are enough other ex-Black Isle and Bioware developers out there, that if we don’t do it, we’re just gonna miss a perfect opportunity.”

But the co-founders didn’t want to put all of their eggs in one crowdfunded basket. Sawyer eventually struck a compromise with Urquhart: he’d spend the next few months pitching publishers on other, more traditional games, while producer Adam Brennecke put together everything they’d need to launch a Kickstarter for the game they really wanted to make: a spiritual successor to Baldur’s Gate.
As for future projects, the interview says Obsidian are "hoping to make sequels, too, maybe with more Kickstarters". There's nothing about that non-PoE project Feargus was talking about back in 2013-2014, though.

Caconym

Savant
An XBone-exclusive "RPG"? Not a single tear.

Likely could have been PC + XBone
Not that likely imho. "One of the Xbox One’s premiere RPGs" suggests an early system-seller which pretty much necessitates system-exclusivity (at least a timed one for a few years). Anyway, it'd have been a game designed primarily for a console, so... yeah.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So we have to thank Josh for PoE in the end. Inbefore PoE is shit and should not have been made.

But in the end, while PoE comes out infavourable compared to the IE games, it is still a good RPG which I enjoyed.

An XBone-exclusive "RPG"? Not a single tear.

Likely could have been PC + XBone
Not that likely imho. "One of the Xbox One’s premiere RPGs" suggests an early system-seller which pretty much necessitates system-exclusivity (at least a timed one for a few years). Anyway, it'd have been a game designed primarily for a console, so... yeah.
Let's see:
  • Dead Rising 3 (Capcom Vancouver, Microsoft)
  • Killer Instinct (Double Helix, Microsoft Studios)
  • Ryse: Son of Rome (Crytek, Microsoft Studios)
These are XBone's initial exclusives. All of them ended up on PC.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sawyer eventually struck a compromise with Urquhart: he’d spend the next few months pitching publishers on other, more traditional games

I wonder if any of these "more traditional games" ended up getting greenlit. Maybe when they say that "Kickstarter saved the company", they're really referring to one of those. :P

Caconym

Savant
Let's see:
  • Dead Rising 3 (Capcom Vancouver, Microsoft)
  • Killer Instinct (Double Helix, Microsoft Studios)
  • Ryse: Son of Rome (Crytek, Microsoft Studios)
These are XBone's initial exclusives. All of them ended up on PC.
Fair enough, although DR3 and Syn yf Rymy were a year late to PC, and 2013's KI's PC release date is still TBD.
Imagine the butthurt over a big new Obsidian RPG being Bone-exclusive for at least a year.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I think they are over playing the role of the kickstarter here, no Tank ruskie MMO and no WOW clone ruskie MMO and Obsidian would be composed of 9 or so employees that made PoE right now.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
while producer Adam Brennecke put together everything they’d need to launch a Kickstarter for the game they really wanted to make: a spiritual successor to Baldur’s Gate.
Baldur's Gate huh :roll:

With MCA leaving, and the inevitable flop of armored warefare and that mmorpg, I'm wondering if they're not in direr straits now.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
while producer Adam Brennecke put together everything they’d need to launch a Kickstarter for the game they really wanted to make: a spiritual successor to Baldur’s Gate.
Baldur's Gate huh :roll:

With MCA leaving, and the inevitable flop of armored warefare and that mmorpg, I'm wondering if they're not in direr straits now.

The Armored Warfare beta is apparently doing very well. But isn't that the Russians' problem? As long as Obsidian find new stuff to do by the time it's released...

valcik

Arcane
Microsoft cancelled the RPG they’d contracted Obsidian to make for their new Xbox, which was then called Durango.
Would be shit anyway.

34gt0k9.jpg

Aenra

Most types of businesses, they over expand, make bad deals, go to bed with wrong partners or simply lack the basis upon which to form expansive policies..
..they simply fold back in.. or, if foresight was never a strongpoint, they disappear.
Most type of businesses, they need to have their product readily available before they can ask for the customer's money.

One business in particular however, unlike the rest of us, no matter how incompetent, shoddy or unreliable its practices, no matter how many its mistakes, no matter how non-existing its (future) project, can always take advantage of a) a legal, ROI-free 'investment' type of movement going on (KS), b) a legion of morons that will always be there to "support", no matter what; and lately, in tangible a manner on top of it.

And then people wonder why there's mostly shit out there.
And then people wonder, because i don't, why said morons have come to label as "incline" (lol) the mere repetition of formulas first seen 20 and 30 years. And let us be honest, bad repetitions. Shallow, shorter approximations of what once was.
What i do not wonder about is how so many hotheaded intellectual rednecks still fail to grasp how money is being made out of them. Even here, within said forum. For a return hardly of equal worth. Empires were made that way, let alone something as simple as a profitable small time business. All it takes is morons fanatics. Many a kind. Always available.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom