Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How have your tastes changed?

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
I recently played some early wizardries, Jagged Alliance, and HOMM3. I like them even more than back in the day. I guess my tastes haven't changed much.

buffalo bill

Arcane
I used to prefer dialogue-heavy turn-based isometric games that I could expect to win on any given playthrough--e.g. Fallout, Torment, Arcanum. Now I mostly play roguelikes. Either I've become patient or a masochist.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Used to be more of a storyfag in the past, now can't stand a RPG without good gameplay, this with modern games having less and less interactive storylines and more and more railroaded cinematic crap that are for the most part pulp fantasy fanfiction.

skyst

Augur
I just have a ton of shit that I can't stand anymore. Off the top of my head...

• Games that value items like this.
  • Crap 3d art. Sprites are fine and usually look better!
  • Lore-dump NPCs. I just don't care anymore. Put me in a world and let the game not treat my character like a retarded space alien - I'll figure it out.
  • Talent trees.
  • Linear dungeons with little loot alcoves.
  • Fast travel and quest markers.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
After a decade later and playing perhaps hundreds of games, I still regard the first Deus Ex as the only game I played so far that almost reached perfection. I guess my tastes didn't change at all. figures..

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I forgot to mention one very important thing, similar to what skyst said: terrible multicolored UIs.

This is fine:

PoEPatch105.jpg

This is NOT fine:

Depths+of+Peril+%25281%2529.png

Those fucking Blues and Greens, not to mention the abomination at the bottom right corner, are unacceptable to me. If any game has colors like that, I will not play it.

Ash

Arcane
Mustawd so how did you find GUN? Not bad for a third person shooter, no?

Myself, not changed much in tastes. Still a gameplay fag. Still old school. Still love a wide variety of genres, although the modern market is slowly narrowing those tastes as it itself narrowed in variety so that one is only left with old games in a bunch of genres.

Zerth said:
I still regard the first Deus Ex as the only game I played so far that almost reached perfection

Oh boy do I have a surprise for you in that case...

Last edited:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I am sick to death of Fantasy settings. It is probably why I still have not played Pillars of Eternity. I had actually hoped they would have taken a better approach to the tired and fucking boring generic fantasy setting, and really stir some shit up with it.

I now pretty much avoid fantasy setting games, unless for some reason I just end up really liking the game (like Lords of Xulima).

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Mustawd so how did you find GUN? Not bad for a third person shooter, no?

Myself, not changed much in tastes. Still a gameplay fag. Still old school. Still love a wide variety of genres, although the modern market is slowly narrowing those tastes as it itself narrowed in variety so that one is only left with old games in a bunch of genres.

Oh boy do I have a surprise for you in that case...

Yeh, GUN is just as nice as it is short. I think is the first wild western fps I ever played.

You mean the GMDX mod? I definitely should check that out. Wonder if it fixes the poor peripheral vision of AI.

Max Damage

Savant
Used to not mind RTwP combat much, but nowadays I find it almost impossible to enjoy. Partly because of AI limitations and bugs, partly because of all the flashy spells/abilities straining my eyes. I also appreciate more tight game worlds over open ones because I don't enjoy excessive downtime/power fantasy as much as I used to. In general, I mostly play roguelikes and dungeon crawler RPGs nowadays, never been that big into the genre before discovering ADoM and blobbers like Wizardry/M&M/DM/Grimrock.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom