Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How have your tastes changed?

Nuclear Explosion

Are there any RPGs or RPG design philosophies that you now like that you used to dislike, or the other way around.

For example, I used to abhor RTwP combat but now I greatly enjoy the IE games. I also used to despise Sawyerism (I even had Roguey on ignore) but now I admire aspects of Sawyer's game design philosophy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I was a JRPG fag (or Final Fantasy fag, to be more specific) that was amazed by the open world of Skyrim, and demanded more games with an open world. Now I realize an open world is shit most of the time, and Skyrim was not an exception.

The prophecy is true.

Red Rogue

Learned
I was a JRPG fag (or Final Fantasy fag, to be more specific) that was amazed by the open world of Skyrim, and demanded more games with an open world. Now I realize an open world is shit most of the time, and Skyrim was not an exception.

The prophecy is true.

I wholeheartedly agree. Big open world RPGs are crammed with trash level quality filler 99.99% of the time. An exception that I personally loved was New Vegas, but I still usually avoid open world RPGs with a 10 foot pole.

As for how my tastes have changed:
The sweet spot for my ideal game length has decreased. When I was young with a lot of time and not a lot of cash, 80+ hours and I was all over it.
Now I find that anything over 35hrs~ and I'm just about ready for the game to end. I prefer a concise story that I can complete in, say, two weeks now. When I'm grinding through a game for 5 or 6 weeks the details of the story get hazy and I lose focus.

Freddie

Savant
Used to like RPG's in fantasy settings, AD&D and a like. Now it's just uninteresting.

Used to like where game were going with AAA titles regarding PC / NPC / NPC interaction KotOR 1 and 2, few things from the first Mass Effect, thought that they have the budget to make it perhaps work. Now I'm grown to be cynical concerning AAA titles direction in that regard.

Mustawd

1. I'm spoiled by good UIs compared to some of the older crap UIs of back in the day
2. I'm spoiled by tutorials vs RTFm
3. I no longer see the point of 100+ hr games. I'd rather have a tight 20-40 hr experience than something that is a chore to finish because the mechanics couldn't keep up with the content (i.e. everything starts to feel the same or I'm just OP as fuck).
4. I enjoy 2D more than 3D
5. I no longer expect anything good to come of AAA games. I've accepted I'm no longer their target audience. I'll keep my eye out for good timewasters, but that's about it.

Deleted Member 16721

The most noticeable thing that has changed about me is my desire for very difficult and challenging RPGs. While I have played tons of RPGs that weren't this in the past, but I'm starting to feel that before I jump into an RPG nowadays I want to make sure it has a high level of difficulty. Not many games really meet this criteria, sadly, but I hope going forward that others start to feel as I do, and that is feeling a bit bored with RPGs that don't challenge you in several ways.

Other than that, still a diehard RPG fan and will play pretty much any RPG if it has the traditional RPG elements. I am old-fashioned in that I like pen-and-paper-style systems and I greatly enjoy new RPGs that use those as well. :)

Severian Silk

Big open world RPGs are crammed with trash level quality filler 99.99% of the time. An exception that I personally loved was New Vegas, but I still usually avoid open world RPGs with a 10 foot pole.
I use my dick in these cases.

Tigranes

Arcane
Eh. I more or less started on WRPGs with BG2, and I still enjoy it - but tastes have broadened, in many cases with the help of the Codex, which works really well for the purpose when you skip all the retardposts. I got to learn about and try things like King of the Dragon Pass.

Starting with BG2 and going backwards to play older games, even as I was living in the 2000s and watching Oblivion come out, was a weird experience - your best new release of the year was the 90s game you discover in your journey back in time, and then the real new AAA game is one you play for a little while on the side when you want a refresher.

Game length doesn't matter for me. If a game is good I'll replay it over the years, it's hard enough to find good games - and if it's a really big game, I'll just take longer to finish it. Even when I was young, with lot of time and no money (or bandwidth), I didn't look at it thinking "hey this game is 100 hours!!!!!". Who cares how long it is, if it's not very good?

Deleted Member 16721

Nowadays I don't really like to bother much with RPGs that aren't epicly huge, at least 50-60 hours. I have nothing against Tyranny, for example, but knowing it's only what, 20-30 hours or so, makes me likely to not even want to bother. I would rather delve into some huge RPG that is going to take a large investment. Even if I don't finish said huge RPG, it still offers the allure and option to play it for a long time in one run, and I dig that.

Like Tigranes, I also have gone back in time over the years, playing RPGs I missed from back when. I like playing the oldies because the RPG elements are still fully in-tact in them, and I appreciate that. :)

Tigranes

Arcane
In other words, length isn't important, quality is.

Of course there's a delightful feeling of rolling a character you know you're going to take through a massive, 100 hour journey. But in the end, a good game that finishes too fast is better than the, uh, excitement of an epic journey that isn't very fun.

Deleted Member 16721

Length is important, and certain amounts of quantity are important as well. It obviously varies from game to game, but I like when there are more classes, more races, more stats, more skills, etc.. Even if they are not balanced extremely well, I like having many options in RPGs.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
I didn't used to like top down RPGs but now I do, still don't like straight turn based games and probably never will

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've become more picky since less and less games manage to hold my interest; but I'm also much less inclined to overanalyze and nitpick about trivialities in games I care to give a shot. It's a rare treat, a good game.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
- used to only play jrpgs

- discovered codex in 2005

- used to only play codex-approved rpgs (fallout, bg, etc)

- currently (mostly) only play turn-based 'crawlers (which codex barely acknowledges)

- (since there aren't many tb 'crawlers) i play stuff like Knights of the chalice, or anything turn-based

tl;dr: used to care about "story" and "characters", but now I play rpgs for their gameplay only.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
My personal definition of an RPG consists of two rules:

- if it has a dodge or roll button, and/or if the conflict resolution requires "twitch reflexes" = not RPG.

- if stats/attributes (character advancement) aren't primary determiner of conflict resolution = not RPG.

You guys would be amazed how effective those 2 rules are for filtering out non-RPGs.

Deleted Member 16721

What if the dodge/roll button has a dice-roll determining the success of the roll? I.e. an abstraction of a roll (you physically see the character rolling but their chance to be hit during said roll is based on stats.) :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom