Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How does Elex compare to Gothic

Falksi

Arcane
I loved Risen 2. Funny as fuck.

Yeah dialogues were fun in Risen 2. I'm definitely gonna replay Risen 1 and 2 sometime again. Cannot stand Risen 3, main character's voice alone is enough to render it unplayable for me so I never got far into it. They should've kept the same guy from Risen 2.

Think this is the dude......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_Roberts_(actor)

Totally agree. Hope we see him in more games. He absolutely nailed that part, and has been criminally underused.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Risen 2 has some of the best dialogue I've ever come across in a game. The main character's dryness/wit/sarcasm adds loads to the game. Brilliant stuff. Risen 3 is flat as a pancake in comparison.
Dialogue alone made it a 8/10 game, everything else was pretty shit but damn the dialogue was good.
Risen 3 had this edgelord MC with a down syndrome voice, hated it.

Trashos

Arcane
There is a German dude somewhere trying to figure out how to make a game that is better than Gothic 2 and banging his head on the wall.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
It's like this
Gothic 2 => Healthy food
Gothic 1 => Homemade pasta or all those fatty foods
ELEX => McDonald's
Risen => South East Asian street food
Risen 2 & Risen 3 => Ramen/cup noodles

In the end everything turns into shit, but some are good for you, some worth it just for the taste, and some are stuff that you should avoid if you have access to anything better.

wyes gull

Savant
This dirty romanian stealth dexer does the job of explaining from someone that likes G1/2 & R1 and hates G3 & R2/3, if you've got way too much time to spare.

And he makes a critique of the actual gameplay which is a nice surprise.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Lol what annoying bitch this one is. Watched 18 minutes and decided to stop for the sake of my nerves. He is just spouting how great the first two Gothic games are(which they are),endlessly. Most of the shit he is going on about are very bias,it is more of opinion/whine peace than a review. Also most positives that he gives about the first games are personalized bullshit,waiting for swampsharks to take their route my ass,running around and jumping like retard is the way of the swampshark dodge! Who the fuck will wait half an hour for some extremely slow enemies to pass when you can just run past them or around them?! Also apparently ELEX have tooooo much dialogue,sooo every quest giver should be like "Me need tails,go kill hamsterbug monster!".

Zlaja

Arcane
Elex is GOTY 2017. Those who refounded the game on steam deserve solitary confinement.

Keep jetpacking, bros!

Dodo1610

Arcane
Elex was a 7/10 game for me. Prior to release i was sure it would be PB's end so Elex was able to suprise me. It does a lot of things right and certainly is PB's best game since Risen. Espacially after the terrible Risen games.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Elex was a 7/10 game for me. Prior to release i was sure it would be PB's end so Elex was able to suprise me. It does a lot of things right and certainly is PB's best game since Risen. Espacially after the terrible Risen games.

:lol: even i fell to the urge to do this retarded quote.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
ELEX looks like it tries to go into the good old Gothic 2 days... by degrading control scheme.

I can't understand how could they screw it up after making a much better controls and UI in Risen 8 freaking years prior. Also art direction. I didn't play Risen 2 much but its design certainly looked more consistent than this game. Usually I don't like the use of the word "Eurojank" but here it's applicable. The game just is frustrating to play and their mix of medieval tech and society with postapocalyptic aesthetics doesn't work. I've completed Risen relatively recently and it was great. I played Gothic 2 when it came out but never played the expansion so I too wanted to try it lately but controls were too oldschool for me. ELEX controls are no less uncomfortable and all the presentation - music, models, level design, aesthetics, sounds, animation - is worse than Gothic 2 even if graphics are better. Can't fight through this game to the meat of the gameplay.

Sad!

ELEX is not quite as good as Gothic 1/2 as an overall package, especially in the context of their respective release eras. But these are 2 of the greatest RPGs ever made, so just because a game isn't quite as good as them, doesn't mean it's not good in general.

Moreover, ELEX is actually better than G1/2 in some ways. I will go over the comparison below in detail:

Exploration: Both G1/2 and ELEX are great at this but in different ways. All 3 games have a lot of hand-placed unique content, but G1/2 are smaller and tighter, with less space but more content per cubic foot. ELEX is huge but pays for it with less denseness. Also, G1/G2 handle vertical exploration with climbing of walls and surfaces, whereas this is still available in ELEX, but mostly the player utilizes the jet-pack to get around in the third dimension.

Writing: This is one area where ELEX is actually better. The main story, twists, and the general background lore are more exotic and interesting than Gothic's generic fantasy. In both cases though, the writing is very functional and down to earth, no modern emo-loredumps.

Quests: Again, ELEX has more quests than G1/2 (around 500 total), and the quests have more C&C on average. Many of them can be done in different ways, have more consequences, and present more choices.

Combat: The combat in G1/2 was better, especially for the times, but at least ELEX's is not as bad as Skyrim's. It suffers from small budget and lack of time, but overall, has enough depth and challenge to be mildly entertaining.

Graphics: At the time they came out, G1/2 were better looking, but in absolute terms, ELEX of course looks better now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom