Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How do I play Morrowind?

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Playing Fallout 1 is an acceptable excuse for taking a break from Morrowind.

Just out of curiosity, jarmaro, have you ever played Gothic?
You are insulting me implying I didn't.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Morrowind's main story is awesomely written. You never know who's bullshitting who.
Yeah, modern games accustomed me to believe every word, never doubt anything. Yet, there's always that possibility that there isn't any deepness, you only think there is. I think stories in games should show two or three times that someone lied to us/betrayed, so game lets us know we can be suspicious.

Monastery of dissident priests as far as I understand belongs to Azura... So little changies to old prophecies wouldn't be hard for her. She had thousands of years for preparations after all. Actually, I don't remember if they gave us copies of prophecies or old papers. Maybe they didn't have any prophecies in the first place?

This is what made Morrowind so awesome, it even gives you clues on the opening cinematic where it says that prophesy is fulfilled... the games lets you believe what you want to believe.
Wanna say "Yeah I am the choosen one of Asura" then go ahead and believe it
Wanna say "Yeah they made these requirments and tasks and because I did them means I am the choosen one" you can believe that too
Wanna say "I was just at the right place and time and that is why they named me choosen one" yeah you can believe it to
The game allows you to create your own story about what is really going on
What it doesn't do is give you an actual option about what you believe
You never get the chance to side with Dagoth Ur and while you do get the chance to take care of the Tribunal gods it is not the same

Dark Souls is very similar in that respect, everybody tells you the story that best suits their interest but in the end it all comes down to what you want to believe
It goes against decades of taking literally what the storytellers want to tell us and actually questioning it

I think the first example of that was Ultima 4, where Britannia needed an Avatar and while the trials of finding the shrines and the runes was important, the actual journey is what made your character into that by making your beliefs mattered as much as your actions

As a final note, I think this should be moved into the "Let's play" section of the forum, because your direct narrative of the game and your questing fit that perfectly
I don't remember if we already have a lets play for Morrowind but this is too damn fucking good

Keye_

Educated
I've got an itch to play Morrowind again from this thread.
Last time I played as a mage, but powergamed a bit too hard and got burned out. I completed the main story but that was about all I did.
Since then I have relinquised my powergaming ways and adopted a more roleplaying approuch to rpgs.
Now I'm doubting between playing an orc warrior and follower of Malacath or a monk style character.
Has anyone here ever played a character that was mostly hand-to-hand with light armor? It it feasable? I tried this in oblivion once and I remember it sucked.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Last time I played as a mage, but powergamed a bit too hard and got burned out. I completed the main story but that was about all I did.
Since then I have relinquised my powergaming ways and adopted a more roleplaying approuch to rpgs.
Now I'm doubting between playing an orc warrior and follower of Malacath or a monk style character.
Has anyone here ever played a character that was mostly hand-to-hand with light armor? It it feasable? I tried this in oblivion once and I remember it sucked.
Yes I did to try out the changes to hand to hand that the Morrowind Code Patch uses so you will damage the stamina bar first and after that you do health damage... not very interesting really

DraQ

Arcane
Yes I did to try out the changes to hand to hand that the Morrowind Code Patch uses so you will damage the stamina bar first and after that you do health damage... not very interesting really
That's vanilla behaviour actually.

HTH is very weak at the beginning, but it's the only skill that factors into damage dealt and it levels fast, so it can become quite interesting when maxed out and with multiple stacked enchantments fortifying HTH (you need expansions or successful completion of Threads of The Webspinner for fortify skill effect).

It also hits rapidly and staggers a lot, so it can be viable, if tedious disabler even at lower levels.

Lastly, it can be used as a means of nonlethal violence, for example to obtain an item (as long as it isn't worn) off someone reluctant to part with it or to disable aggresive attacker without killing them, and it can be combined with magic (mostly attribute and stamina debuffs) to a good effect.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
I didn't give a fuck about this guy and his wife for now, so just went, as I planned, forward. Reached Tel Vos and talked with its Master guy. Tower looks nice, it's Bribe is normal start of conversation since Redoran house, so I don't even know if they'd gave me their permission without it or not. Doesn't matter, he was all for me being hortator. He gave me some info about other members of Telvanii, but most important was to kill guy Tel Aruhn. But that's for later. Now, few seconds of travel from Vos I had Tel Mora with men-hating misandric Telvani Mistress. Of course some bribe and she's all good with me being hortator. Like everyone.

QFyEMM7.jpg

Now, another ashlanders' camp is nearby. I hoped this one will have better quest. Nope, they don't even have Ashkchan, only Wise Woman. By the way, all wise woman tents had carpets before entrance. This one didn't. And she wants me to purge all people from nearby Daedric Ruins(!). Beceause her people spend every winter(or some sort of time, I don't remember) there. Beceause there is no other safer place than Daedric ruins of Sheogorath.
So I went there, shrine was residenced by mad people. And jsut when I came Temple agents started attack. I think I could choose with who I can cooperate. Anyway, killed all mad men and went back to Wise Woman. Now she wants me to bring her to shrine so she can see if it's safe. I hate mission swith followers. At least she has water walking beceause she's mage. Took her to shrine, she's all happy. Now it's time to go back.

orU9ea4.jpg

Next step: Wife for Askhan. Fast recall to Sadrith Mora. 1000 Drakes for her. Plus I have to buy clothes for her. Turned out I could use boat to get to Tel Mora. Doesn't matter now, but it hurts. Bought clothes and went back. Now it's another follower mission. Fuck my life. And of course I cannot ask sailor to transport me to mainland, despite it being much closer than other destinations. So I had to walk, or rather swim, a lot. Hit on Tel Aruhn and killed Telvani here, as guy told me. Went to ashlanders camp. So I walked, walked, saw that camp and understood something is not right. It's wrong camp, FUCK MY LIFE. Anyway, I wasn't here yet so I became their Nerevarine by killing people and then giving their items to some shy guy. Easy. Continued my travel to RIGHT camp. There guy was all-happy with "Telvani" wife and made me Nerevarine. It's almost over, I am Nerevarine of four camps and it's only one Telvani mistress before I become Hortator.

DzkGMgV.jpg

Last place I have to go is Tel Branora. Thanks god, I could use boat. Turned out Mistress Therana is mad and have Khajjit sex slave. Nice. She was ignoring me at first, but of course power of many 100 drakes made her listen to me. Last thing to do was going back to Tel Vos and becoming Hortator of Telvani.
It's the end of this bullshit. Hortator/Nerevarine missions are definitely worst Main Quest missions, everything made me rage, curse and whine and overall was bad. But some may say it's climatic. But I don't share that view.

To be continued... Soon.

At least sooner than this one

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom