Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How do I play Morrowind?

Jarmaro

Liturgist
I am about to play Morrowind (not for the first time, but first time for serious) and I have few questions:

How does one roleplay in Morrowind? I've read many threads on codex, but didn't catch what does it actually mean, especially when there's much talking about larping and I don't see a diffrence. Can I go exploring the island if my character doesn't have actual reason to do it?

Do I have to play with right mindset? I've read that Morrowind is first RPG, then Action, unlike oblivion and skyrim, should I then focus on plot and world instead of actual character progression?

Are there improving game mods beside of graphic mods? I've seen many mods, but most of them change game too much and are not lore-friendly.

Rpgsaurus Rex

Don't use mods, play it as is. Don't over-think, just roll with it. If the MQ hooks you, do that. Go exploring if you feel like it. There are a ton of hidden things and quests.

No need to LARP if you don't feel like it. MW has plenty of "game" on the first playthrough esp. if you're an exploration junkie.

Read books if you want to catch on to the story and the setting.

Once you've played a while and something really starts bugging you, look for mods. There's probably one out there for everything by now.

I am about to play Morrowind (not for the first time, but first time for serious) and I have few questions:

How does one roleplay in Morrowind? I've read many threads on codex, but didn't catch what does it actually mean, especially when there's much talking about larping and I don't see a diffrence. Can I go exploring the island if my character doesn't have actual reason to do it?

Do I have to play with right mindset? I've read that Morrowind is first RPG, then Action, unlike oblivion and skyrim, should I then focus on plot and world instead of actual character progression?

Are there improving game mods beside of graphic mods? I've seen many mods, but most of them change game too much and are not lore-friendly.

Also I can't believe nobody posted this yet.
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Roleplaying
Is it for serious or you are just kidding? Hard to say when someone post anything connected to oblivion here :roll:
Lol, newfag, your entire post is just
EjJopdb.jpg

And you expect serious answer, you fucking LARPer? Hone your bait skills, ffs.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

How does one roleplay in Morrowind? .
You roleplay by playing the game. No melodramatics needed. Morrowind isn't exactly an old-school game, but it is old-school in that regard.

get the mod that lets you harvest flora just by clicking on it, instead of all flaura functioning like chests. It also makes them disappear when they've been picked until they respawn.

DraQ

Arcane

Is curiosity not enough motivation? How about greed? Back in the old days player was expected to be proactive, not just reactive.
As for roleplaying, Morrowind takes care of most of that by putting you in a "fish out of water" situation to sync you, the player, with you, the character somewhat. You can help it by imagining some sketch of who your character is and acting appropriately, but don't overdo it, if you find yourself drifting towards that Oblivion page, get up from your computer and bang your head against the nearest wall until you feel lucid again.

Yeah, all you really need to enjoy Morrowind is treating it as a world instead of game:
  • avoiding metainformation (so no wiki, internet searches nor poking around with CS)
  • avoiding outright exploits (basically stuff that shouldn't work)
  • avoiding boring, repetitive activity cycles (for example if you find yourself at a merchant doing something along the lines of "buy ingredients->alchemy->sell potions->wait 24h for restock->repeat" then fucking stop)
  • not training unless you actually need to and never in long sessions (see above for repeating training sessions, plus Morrowind isn't particularly well balanced in regards to level so by making ton of cash and burning it all on training you may miss the sweet spot altogether)
  • taking it slow - it's all about the journey, not the destination (as the destination will be boring, maxed out demigod anyway).
  • avoiding actions aimed specifically at level up mechanics - don't aim for specific multipliers, or maxing out HP in the long run, just let level ups happen as you play
  • paying attention - Morrowind has a lot of information it won't spell out for you, hidden in all sorts of stuff, from layout of the world, through all sorts of text, to individual models and textures - again, treat it as a world, rather than a game.
  • Oh, and get the official patches plus Morrowind Code Patch - I would avoid modding it the first time around.
Yes, but:
  • The game is solid enough to not actually need them. They help but are not necessary.
  • Some improvement mods mess with stuff they should well leave alone or make dumb changes - for example BTB's basically works by constricting player's freedom in regards to things like spellmaking and enchanting, prohibiting any and all fun things you might want to do with those mechanics and effectively making them pointless.
  • Tweaking your mod setup is massively absorbing activity, even with cosmetic stuff you will likely burn yourself out before you even play on retarded shit like downloading things like better looking bottles, running around the island seeking particular bottles you've modded to see how they look in different context instead of playing (and absorbing metainformation in the process) then repeating with different bottle mod. Yes, I've seen cases like that, even here on the 'Dex, of all places.
  • Even cosmetic mods may obliterate hidden information Morrowind overflows with.
  • Making informed decision about gameplay mods would require you to delve into details of what they change, which would spoil both the mechanics and, more importantly, the content. You generally can't avoid soaking up tons of meta information when fishing for mods.
For the most fun you must install most of the mods from here: http://btb2.free.fr/morrowind.html
Graphics replacers are not strictly needed and BTB's GIs is massive scrubfaggotry - if that's your mindset then you will be better served playing Skyrim.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
"Treat it as a world" is the best advice. Don't read up on the game. Read up on the world in the game.

Do you have the map that came with the boxed edition of the game? I don't know if it's in the digital versions. If so, then examining it might give you some ideas regarding interesting places to explore!

Graphic overhauls are not needed imho, you'll be sucked into the world's atmosphere in no time.

Also, find Caius Cosades.

Soph

Educated
Will you update this topic with your experiences roleplaying in Morrowind? Like a diary or something, to help other people who are blown away by the options of Morrowinds vast world. You know, those other two people.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
I can, but mostly general things, beceause I often play for hours so I will be hard to remember everything.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom