Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview How CD Projekt RED treats gamers as people

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: CD Projekt

VG24/7 caught up with CD Projekt's Konrad Tomaszkiewicz discussing how many companies claim to put gamers first, but CD Projekt’s mature stories and DLC strategies put it ahead of the pack. Here's a snippet to get you going:
VG247: It’s been one hell of a year for CD Projekt, with the success of Witcher 2 on the Xbox 360, the continual success of GOG and the announcement of Cyberpunk. What factors do you attribute all of this success to, and how can other independent studios learn from what you’ve done? Can anyone do it?

Konrad Tomaszkiewicz, CD Projekt RED: There are many indie studios out there who manage to achieve success. I think the key elements are passion and staying true to your ideals. Our dev studio has a clear vision of what we want to achieve in our games i.e. creating mature and complex RPGs. We also want to treat gamers in a way we would like to be treated ourselves, which sometimes means being rebels in the industry. That’s why our games – both developed or sold on GOG.com – have no DRM, we take much care about our customers long after the release. Those are our ideals and staying true to them is the best way to acquire great and faithful fans.

Thanks to abnaxus.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I agree that CDP treats it's customers well and this is something to be thankful for, free addons and major patches are really a great thing. They are one of my favourite current companies (though Gabe is still on the top :M ).

However this strikes me as contradiction to what they have done with Twitcher2:
staying true to your ideals. Our dev studio has a clear vision of what we want to achieve in our games i.e. creating mature and complex RPGs.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
However this strikes me as contradiction to what they have done with Twitcher2:
staying true to your ideals. Our dev studio has a clear vision of what we want to achieve in our games i.e. creating mature and complex RPGs.

Mature? Yes. Somewhat complex plot? Yes. Complex game? No.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
If CD Projekt spent half the time and effort designing their games that they do hyping their games and company they might actually produce a decent ARPG.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Mature? Yes. Somewhat complex plot? Yes. Complex game? No.
I guess he compares it to other popular modern "rpgs" like ME3 etc., where you just run forward and shoot things, TW2 does look somewhat more "complex" in the context.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In before Skyway's ''Witcher 2 is COD with swords.'' (yes, he said that).

He says that because of the Temerian soldiers going into cover and acting all TACTICOOLy in the assault on La Valette Castle.

Personally I think it's more like Mass Effect with swords.

Ermm

Erudite

He says that because of the Temerian soldiers going into cover and acting all TACTICOOLy in the assault on La Valette Castle.

At least in the thread I read, he didn't mentioned assault on La Valette Castle, but said that on the game as a whole, and when someone mentioned that Dark Messiah of Might and Magic is more worthy of that title, and after that, well, everything continued in typical Skyway fashion.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

At least in the thread I read, he didn't mentioned assault on La Valette Castle, but said that on the game as a whole, and when someone mentioned that Dark Messiah of Might and Magic is more worthy of that title, and after that, well, everything continued in typical Skyway fashion.

You need to participate on CDS Chat to know of the true Skyway :obviously:

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Complex RPG's?

:lol:
You'd be surprised. Remember the LP of that one guy who couldn't get past a fight during the tutorial chapter and started screaming about how the game was unbalanced? I've also seen hundreds of complaints by people who are confused about how to use potions, or who don't know how to advance the plot without linear corridors and quest markers, or by people who can't read the journal, etc. Let's not forget the people who wish it was first person, or want to create their own character. If you grow up playing shallow, linear games then The Witcher 2 is indeed a good deal more complex even though by RPG standards it's quite tame.

You have to remember that a lot of players don't even bother reading tutorial messages, skip all dialogue and cutscenes, and just button-mash their way through games, and if a game won't accommodate them they assume it's broken. When you develop for a niche audience, you can get away with games that don't lead players by the nose at every single moment. When you are making a big-budget console game, it basically has to be as dumb as possible to make sure people don't get stuck, and unfortunately lower and lower standards for games means that newer gamers don't have the skill set to enjoy mainstream games that were released even 10 years ago.

Of course, for some reason Bethesda games are an exception, but I'm pretty sure that's only because they're kind of impossible to fail at. Even if you never touch a single quest and decide to tromp around hitting everything with your sword, at least you're still having fun of a sort. Not so in The Witcher 2, where the story is the fun, and if you don't care about the story, or are too dumb to access it, there's nothing left for you.

Mrowak

Arcane
Complex RPG's?

:lol:

Ok Bros, it is time for me to make a shocking revelation. You see, Polish RPG scene has very little to do with cRPGs - in fact until not so long ago cRPGs were seen as reterded offshoots of the 'proper' P&P RPG systems. Why this is important?

Bacause when Polish devs talk about RPGs, their complexity and paving new paths they don't think of 'worthless and boring' games of yesteryears such as Ultima, Wizardry, Eye of Beholder, Dark Sun, Arcanum and stuff like that. They think more about all the fun adventures they had with Warhammer, Earthdawn, Vampire, AD&D... with a twist. RPG scene here has utmost contempt for rulesets, tables, digits, dice and all that nonsense - instead they focus on storytelling. Yep, in their eyes cRPGs should not about 'tactical combat' (there are wargames for that) nor about boring character progression (every shooter has that) - all RPGs are means of telling an interactive story. And this is exactly the mindset behind TWitcher 1 and 2 - to make the most appealing interactive story there is. I have to say that while in this they may follow Bioware, they do a much better job than them. And yes, as far as storytelling is concerned they are doing much more complex RPGs than anyone since Planescape.

Apart from that the devs are very lax on combat system. They do not really enjoy the old 'proper' RPGs where nothing happens - again the purpose of an RPG (even P&P RPG) is an adventure, not rolling dice. And so they take hints from the games they do relish: hack&slasher, fighting games and other stuff they play on their consoles - stuff they can have fun with - stuff their audience can appreciate as well.

Lads, there's no way CDPRed will make a proper 'Codex approved' RPG - they simply do not care and they are not suicidal enough to shoot for such a small niche market. At least in the one facet their picked (storytelling) they prove to be fairly competent so far.

Also, what sea said.

Black

Arcane
There's also the fact that potato "gamers" see Bladder's Gates and other ass erects as good rpgs, so no wonder they don't know shit.

Mrowak

Arcane
There's also the fact that potato "gamers" see Bladder's Gates and other ass erects as good rpgs, so no wonder they don't know shit.

Yes, we do - especially BG2, though ME series is kinda meh in majority's opinion. It could be worse - we could enjoy Diablo 3.

Black

Arcane

Yes, we do - especially BG2, though ME series is kinda meh in majority's opinion. It could be worse - we could enjoy Diablo 3.
Apparently bg2 and d3 aren't that different. Difference being, blizzard at least tries to somehow fix d3 while bg2 is fucked forever.

Mrowak

Arcane

Apparently bg2 and d3 aren't that different.

:retarded:

Are you fucking blind? o_O

Difference being, blizzard Bioware and Interplay at least tried to somehow fix d3BG1 in BG2 while bg2 after D3 Diablo series is fucked forever.

Fix'd for ye.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Just ignore him. The whole "Baldur's Gate = popamole" thing is among the Codex's most annoying memes.

Mrowak

Arcane
Just ignore him. The whole "Baldur's Gate = popamole" thing is among the Codex's most annoying memes.

Yeah, but I am not saying that BG2 is the pinnacle of RPGs, but WTF BG2 has in common with Diablo?

Black

Arcane

Yeah, but I am not saying that BG2 is the pinnacle of RPGs, but WTF BG2 has in common with Diablo?
Both are pretty shitty rpgs :codexisfor:

:hmmm:

Define RPGs.
a shoulder-fired, anti-tank weapon system which fires rockets equipped with an explosive warhead
No wonder you Pollacks can't make complex RPGs and you lost to Germans if you don't even know what RPGs are.

attackfighter

Magister
Black's the guy who said that Diablo 3 voice acting was comparable to VtMB, his whole perspective is fucked.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom