Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Sounds like bundle fodder to me!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Oh, so this is actually worse, well that's a shame. :(

Cargo cult Europeans do it again. Like a good sequel takes what works from its predecessor and does more of the same, preferably better and removes or improves the stuff that didn't work but it seems like these jokers thought to themselves "bigger and more is better, right?"

phtmyr

Cipher
Levels should be consisted of small tight areas. You plan a path, premeditate and perform a series of executions to get through. That is challenging and satisfying. That sort of level design also makes AI's flaws stand out less. In Hotline Miami 2 the ideal way to deal with the stages seem to be waiting around a corner or behind a door, lure enemies towards you and hit them with a pipe.

Accomplishing a single difficult challenge rather than series mediocre challenges is less frustrating and more satisfying.

Needless to say I've just finished the prison stage and I'm not happy.

Picked this up since it looked like an interesting tacticool Crimsonland. Is the game supposed to control like shit?

1. Mouse aiming is really laggy with some weird acceleration or slowdown.
2. View isn't locked to character so whenever you aim you have to aim a second time because the camera shifted when you shifted your aim causing your aim to be wrong.
3. To see more than 10 feet you have to use the shift-view, which makes #2 around 100000x worse and makes any kind of active play useless, so its only useful for scouting and sniping.

Game would seem to be pretty fun for me if they could make shift simply zoom out, lock the camera to your character, and not fuck with my mouse so that it functions the same in-game as it does in my OS.

ColCol

Arcane
Was the shotgun gimped? I'm having issues with it during combat that I can not remember happening in the last game.

Grim Monk

Arcane
Was going to buy full price to support the team, but something told me to wait.

Even a :negative: two man Indie Dev team is not safe from the :decline:.
Yet another case of Dark Souls 2/Risen 2 style "Developer forgetting how to make their own game" syndrome...

Hope the Dev's respond to criticism and releases an fix/overhaul patch.

Last edited:

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I found the best missions were The Writer's, Jake's, and Richter's, if only because they maintained a level of balance between the amount of gunners and the size of the levels. The absolute worst levels for me was the Soldier's and the Detective's (save for the last on of the latter, which I thought was pretty good). They had the issue of an overabundance of gunner enemies, wide-open environments where you can just get shot from offscreen, fat enemies mixed in which break the flow of combat, and literal popamole sections where enemies are totally immune to gunfire until you wait for them to pop out of cover, which are just tedious to deal with.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I found the best missions were The Writer's, Jake's, and Richter's, if only because they maintained a level of balance between the amount of gunners and the size of the levels. The absolute worst levels for me was the Soldier's and the Detective's (save for the last on of the latter, which I thought was pretty good). They had the issue of an overabundance of gunner enemies, wide-open environments where you can just get shot from offscreen, fat enemies mixed in which break the flow of combat, and literal popamole sections where enemies are totally immune to gunfire until you wait for them to pop out of cover, which are just tedious to deal with.

Aye. Anything that slows down the pace just seemed counter-intuitive to the design. The last thing I want in Hotline: Miami is a fucking top-down cover shooter, which is exactly what a lot of those scenarios become.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
The only baiting I have to do really is with Beard because his levels are huge and open. Other than that I just barge in and kill everyone in mostly one go, especially with the Fans, Richter, Jake and The Son. I aced Death Wish yesterday just like that: killed everyone in one go with Mark (got a dreadfully awesome combo for that, something like 22), massacred everyone with Tony (initial 11x combo) and finally, despite a bug that spawned me right into the line of fire of an M16-wielding guy, killed everyone in two combos with Alex & Ash. Corey's part is way more difficult and my route is not optimal yet.

It's harder to find routes for these levels because the lines of sight are way bigger, there's glass almost everywhere and some enemy placements are really tough (fat gangsters are more prominent than in HM1), but once you know them it's not that hard.

Though to be honest, as soon as the editor is released I'll start making levels more in the vein of HM1's: smaller rooms and random weapon pickups on the ground.

Last edited:

sser

Arcane
Developer
Is the beard the guy that's in Hawaii? Those are the ones I haven't really cared for thus far.

Gulnar

Scholar
So, what do you think, Pardo was really the mutilator? Or the 'dream' was just that, a dream?

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
So I finished the game, and it's a really 90s style sequel, the American Revolt to Hotline Miami's Syndicate. An extended mission pack where everything is bigger and the difficulty is turned up to 11.

This can be fine if you git gud, and it is quite amazing what skacky is capable of, but for plain, average players like me, it limits your options to sticking to a few select paths and exploiting gimmicks like there is no tomorrow. If you don't do that, the game punishes you by killing you again and again until you either git gud, or obey its will. Paradoxically, there is not enough margin of error to go wild. The levels, as large as they are, are generally a lot less "permeable", with fewer access points into different rooms; many players will find themselves effectively railroaded. Combine this with less choice in selecting your playstyle due to character restrictions, and HM2 is significantly less replayable than HM1. HM1 was mostly designed around monster closets. Apparently, Dennaton thought everyone loved that part of Hot and Heavy where you have an area with four rooms surrounded by corridors and lots of glass everywhere. And granted, it was a good level, once. In HM2, you run into this kind of situation constantly.

I find the large levels to be another problem. It makes death a harder consequence, since you don't lose 10-20 seconds of progress, but up to several minutes. When the last parts of a level are about removing some of the trickier enemy chokepoints (like the ever-present attack dogs or those fucking jumping inmates), replaying that mostly safe, practiced 80% turns into tedium. There is also a high chance the AI will glitch, which turns them unpredictable. This happens a lot with dogs, who lock into spinning around, then strike out unpredictably to kill you.

There are some excellent missions in this game, some good characters, and sometimes you get both at the same time, but it is weaker than Hotline Miami. Not a bargain bin game, but I foresee myself replaying HM1 a lot more than this one.

Finally, maybe I didn't get something, but the ending was a complete non-sequitur. Can someone explain where that came from?

Ivan

Arcane
It took me a replay to get the ending.

Talking about the Son, right? He's tripping balls and killing The Fans. Bear>Tiger>to headed Ducks

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
I get it until that part. I'm talking about
the nuclear war stuff. The crazy general who engineered the coup and pushed the button is probably the same person we have seen in the Hawaii missions, but that whole plotline seems to be dangling. It just happens.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
After the game introduced me to the writer character, I played as him and discovered that he wouldn't fire his guns. It took me a while to recognize that he was actually unloading the guns instead of fucking using them, which left him vulnerable to... everything with no prior warning. It was at that point that I realized the extensive dialogue is both dull and pointless, so I started skipping everything.

So it ends with a nuclear war and everyone dies, I guess? Doesn't seem so bad compared to the rest of the game.

Unwanted

Xu Fugui

Unwanted
It was at that point that I realized the extensive dialogue is both dull and pointless, so I started skipping everything.
Now I agree with this but the example you provided was not a good one. He tried to revive the guard by the door after killing him and tries to tell the others to call an ambulance. He can't pick up knives either and there is no blood when you knock people down. I think it was fairly obvious that he didn't want to be lethal.

ColCol

Arcane
So, what do you think, Pardo was really the mutilator? Or the 'dream' was just that, a dream?

No, he is a murder, but I don't think he is the mutilator.I think his breakdown comes from the fact that he knows he is deranged and is in danger of getting caught

Phage

Arcane
Manlet

No, he is a murder, but I don't think he is the mutilator.I think his breakdown comes from the fact that he knows he is deranged and is in danger of getting caught

He is the murderer, hence the whole 'returning to the scene of the crime' thing. I think the breakdown came from the fact that the murderer he invented was getting more attention than his blatant killing sprees.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom