Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hoshigami Remix

Repressed Homosexual
I decided to start playing this again, this time through the end. I really recommend it or FFT or Tactics Ogre fans (it is made by ex-FFT devs in fact).

The game has a generic, unremarkable story, but where it shines is in some of the ingenious ideas it has.

The best idea of this game is that you have action points, but you can go above your action points threshold (up to 125%), or below, and this affects your initiative either positively or negatively. I always thought it was a brilliant idea and it works really well. I think all other tactics-type turned based or RPG games should copy it. The second best idea is that magic is casted through "coins", to which you can add enchantments, and experience with various combinations to boost the stats of your points, their MPs, etc.

They made a spiritual successor a few years after its release called Stella Deus, but I didn't find this one interesting. The story and world is bland and unbearable and they severely dumbed down the combat system, making it not very interesting anymore.

There is a PSOne version called Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth, and a DS one called Remix. The DS version was made 6 years after and it is much superior, it reduces much of the aggravation in the original release. It also has a superior soundtrack and a host of other improvements.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
You know FFT and Tactics Ogre both already use action point systems and you can get your next turn earlier by not moving or not acting or both, right?

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Apparently there's a Vandal Hearts 3... wtf.
It's a very odd looking game but I remember liking it (8 or so years ago on PSN). Granted I was like, 12.

vandal_hearts_flames_of_judgment-1103699.jpg

Also it looks terrible.

Repressed Homosexual
Apparently there's a Vandal Hearts 3... wtf.
It's a very odd looking game but I remember liking it (8 or so years ago on PSN). Granted I was like, 12.

vandal_hearts_flames_of_judgment-1103699.jpg

Also it looks terrible.

It's not a bad game, it's just a bit bland. But it works.

Also the developers from this are making Unsung Story (that "Matsuno" game in development hell), they took the project back from Playdek. They are probably the best people to take care of this.

Repressed Homosexual
You know FFT and Tactics Ogre both already use action point systems and you can get your next turn earlier by not moving or not acting or both, right?

Yes, but with Hoshigami you have more flexibility. You can move many times, and you can also attack many times in a single phase. So for instance, you can exploit this and spend all your points to attack an enemy 3 or 4 times in order to kill him, even though your next turn will be delayed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom