Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Horizon Zero Dawn, open world PS4 action-RPG from Killzone devs and FO:NV lead writer John Gonzales

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Infinitron, May 10, 2014.

1. toro Arcane

toro
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Now you are just fucking with me.

I agree on Ted Faro, the character has no internal coherence. Also he should have never been allowed near the Zero Dawn project.

HADES function was not to override Gaia. Read the wiki. Hades function was to revert the world to a blank state under Gaia's supervision. The game fails to specify this but it's obvious because the game states that HADES was a subordinate function of GAIA serving as the "extinction failsafe protocol" for Project Zero Dawn. Only when the mysterious signal occurred was Hades able to override Gaia because somehow he became a self-aware AI like Gaia and he started writing viruses. The hackers did not simply hacked the system they made all subsystems self-aware. That's like rewriting an OS on the fly. I find it hard to believe but then Russian haxxors are pretty good. Seriously. Read everything again.

Anyway, for me, the quality of the main villain is more important than many other things. Even more important considering that he will probably make a return in the sequel. But it doesn't matter, my point was that there is no rationale for his existence.

TL;DR: You accept some dumb things including Hades and I accept other dumb things excluding Hades.

There is no argument which can convince me that Hades existence was not retarded. Therefore we can agree to disagree.

^ Top  
  2. Darth Slaughter Arcane Patron

Darth Slaughter
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Finish the game today, I generally liked it as a hiking console adventure with RPG elements. The above issue is in-game explained that those robots that co-exists in the world with the tribes of nora, banuk, carja were made to not harm humans at all. Only after Hades started to influence the machines they became more agressive.

About the Hades issue, I cringed when they made a system that would sterilize the world every time the terraforming process went wrong. I agree that it could be a necessity, but I'd rather have they made gaia overlook everything real-time and course correct everything on the fly. And if things got wrong, Gaia herself could take care of the task of wiping everything and repeating the process, being so self aware of everything almost human like. Also, it was also for nothing since looks like gaia got it right on the first time.

Terraforming is a very complex process, but it's the same earth with all the necessary conditions to support life (distance from sun, size, etc). Also, Its believable that humans knows how earths biosphere formed and they would even know more about the process in the future, which would make a template to terraform the earth a very promissing endeavor. Gaia would detect any abnormalities and counter act them in time to steer things in the right direction. It's obvious it would be easy/predictable to course correct it. The only thing that could compromise is if some kind of pathogen infect the species early on altering the dynamic of the species of flora/fauna introduced, affecting evolution, but evolution wouldn't really take place at all since the species were all genetically stored and would be cloned and reintroduced as final species..

It would make a lot more sense the villain be related to the apollo part, since Ted Faro purges it, this would bring it self aware, and it would make much more sense since Apollo would have all the knowledge of humanity and that could be a motivation to kill them all. also, it would make Ted a double stupid decisions guy. And it would be also more impactful in a relationship between Sylens and Apollo, since Sylens was avid for knowledge.

In any case, I agree that the swarm devour biomass and proliferate at geometrical rate is a little too much, and gaia being an antropomorphic AI, these are very much stupid things.

But the game is good, fun, even though quest are simple and badly written, the game is beautiful, the robot creatures are variable and offer a challenge, and combat gameplay is actually fun. It's obvious that this game followed the successful witcher 3 structure, but witcher 3 is more RPG due to the fact you have choices in the main story, and also in character creation/skill setting. You can max out your character in Horizon zero down. It's in between The witcher 3 and Assassin's creed origins, which is more actiony and you can't miss anything.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Ash Arcane

Ash
    Parrots:
    reading this thread:

"Popamole"
    "Popamole"
    "Popamole"
    "Popamole"
    "Popamole"

...Yet most still saying they enjoyed it. Damn storyfaggots and mole-whackers. Often are both one and the same, mind you.

Does the game have undemanding gameplay even remotely comparable to whack-a-mole, or are you unfairly assigning it that label just because it's a AAA action game? Does it have tons of handholding? dead simple level design? Little combat challenge? A lack of resource management demand? An overly-generous economy (skillpoints, money etc)? A somewhat automated process during climbing segments or somewhat automated interactions in general? Problems presented and detailed by other NPCs, and often solved by said NPCs too (or with much of their help)? Regenerating health? Frequent QTEs? A sense of tedious repetition? A lack of consequences for failure or bad play? Overpowered player mechanics?
    ...eh that'll do for now. If yes to even two or three of these, you're probably playing braindead popamole. And if so, what the fuck are you doing? You know there are plenty games with both decent gameplay and story right? Do you realise with popamole the gameplay is just wasting your time with menial repetitive tasks and is often in conflict with the story all the same? Enough of your decline-enabing.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    • Brofist x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Anthony Davis Obsidian Entertainment Developer

Anthony Davis
    Parrots:
    I just confirmed with Sawyer, Avellone wrote all of Dead Money.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 3
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Trashos Magister

Trashos
    Parrots:
    As if I didn't have enough reasons to love the dude. Thanks!

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    Parrots:
    Why are you surprised? Witcher 3 was GOTY here and probably this game combat is less popamole than that.

• Despair Despair x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Falksi Magister

Falksi
    Parrots:
    Fuck me this game is boring. Only 4 hours in but it's absolutely dragging like fuck.

As others have said, "dialogue" is now this fucking bizarely common pointless "give me more cutscene" setup, with fuck all actual real choice. It's all just so, so dull. I've already realized the best way to play it to go straight for the option which finishes the conversations asap.

But Jesus there's just so many bullshit cutscenes. It's dragging like fuck. Out of the 4 hours played there's prob been around 45 min worth of fun combat.

Does it get any better? When I'm enjoying myself I am having fun, but Christ it's a slog to get to those parts.

Compared to the 2013 Tomb Raider reboot it's far worse so far.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. TedNugent Arcane

TedNugent
    Parrots:
    Oh jesus, what the fuck is this shit

Looks like your standard 2017 AAA title.

^ Top  
  9. TedNugent Arcane

TedNugent
    Parrots:
    Hold my beer.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Quillon Cipher

Quillon
    Parrots:
    :philosoraptor:

• Funny Funny x 5
    ^ Top  
  11. TheHeroOfTime Magister

TheHeroOfTime
    Parrots:
    Why is this game in the CRPG forum?

"B-b-but Skyrim is..." Skyrim is a game marketed as RPG and one that tries to be one, but completely fails to do so. This is an action-adventure Open world game. The only RPG things it has is the level-style progression. Is that enough to get listed here? I don`t think so.

PD: It's pretty good game tho. IMO one of the best Open wolrd gaems evar in some regards.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    Parrots:
    NOT AN RPG

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Falksi Magister

Falksi
    Parrots:
    Tries to be to a pathetic extent though.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    Parrots:
    do or do not

there is no try

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. ERYFKRAD Arcane Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    So do not try is ruled out too?

^ Top  
  16. --- Magister

---
    Parrots:
    But what is an RPG?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • Hoo Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Falksi Magister

Falksi
    Parrots:
    Just had to uninstall after playing around 8 hours. What a fucking bag of wank. Dull beyond belief. It's not a patch on the Tomb Raider 2013 reboot, and lord knows how it's received so much praise.

As others have said, pointless filler dialogue, boring side-quests, boring main quests, combat which is good but over before you know it, it's pathetic.

You know what I thought after uninstalling? "It's like someone took Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, watered it down, removed all the wonder, and made it a shallower experience"

What fucking times we live in when KOA:R is a bastian for depth.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. TedNugent Arcane

TedNugent
    Parrots:
    But is it open world?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. Ellef Deplorable

Ellef
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    > console exclusive
    > in the grpg section

good one

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. DemonKing Arcane

DemonKing
    Parrots:
    It's not much of a CRPG but its a decent enough game. I find the combat can be quite challenging at times, especially with larger mobs. The world building and presentation is pretty good and the skill-tree progression system is reasonably extensive.

The dialog is mostly click and forget - I've played around 10 hours so far but can only think of one instance where I was forced to make a binary choice - and that didn't seem to have much impact. The lead character also is pretty much set in that you can't really play her as evil.

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Assisted Living Godzilla Learned

Assisted Living Godzilla
    Parrots:
    Skyrim tried being a RPG? You could change that games skill unlocking system to what Far Cry or the Devil May Cry games have and it wouldn't change anything beside how it's presented.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014
    For anyone interested, here's video of lead designer's GDC talk: http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1024963/-Horizon-Zero-Dawn-A

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)