Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Horizon Zero Dawn - open world action-RPG from Guerilla Games - now on PC

Duraframe300

Arcane
Yeah, there's definitly some SJW'sm in the game. Not too in your face or anything, but................
The real problem here is,.... well it's Aloy. She and her dialouge is handled terrible for a game that pretends to be an rpg.
Because even the actual dialouge CHOICES that do exist (and they are very, very rare) they don't actually express ANY actual opinion.
Nor does the game have any choices other than that. None. The game literary forces you her decisions, manners and personality down your throat.

I mean people complained about Geralt being too much of an establised charachter in twitcher. This isn't that. This is a whole other fucking level.
And there lies for me the most SJW part of the game. Because the charachter she is, is, while not over the top, still a *progressives* wet dream in the games context.

Other than that its good and gorgerous as far as popamole games go.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Prepare for the shitstorm of incoming "lolllololllololol there's no femunisums in the game youa re dumb" comments from retards.

Calling this game an "action rpg" is fucking LAUGHABLE. It is less of an rpg than the Far Cry series. Definitely less than Assassin's Creed. Neither of which are RPG's. I still like it a lot though. Dat world keeps you coming back. Robo dinosaurs are the best idea since fricken sharks with fricken laser beams attached to their heads.

I warned you, Codex. It started with System Shock 2 suddenly being an "rpg", then the slippery slope continued past Mass Effect 2, and now we have a linear, story drivem 3rd person action adventure being called an rpg.

Can't wait for Telltale's MAJESTIC new episodic RPG, Sam & Max season 4.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Prepare for the shitstorm of incoming "lolllololllololol there's no femunisums in the game youa re dumb" comments from retards.

Calling this game an "action rpg" is fucking LAUGHABLE. It is less of an rpg than the Far Cry series. Definitely less than Assassin's Creed. Neither of which are RPG's. I still like it a lot though. Dat world keeps you coming back. Robo dinosaurs are the best idea since fricken sharks with fricken laser beams attached to their heads.

I warned you, Codex. It started with System Shock 2 suddenly being an "rpg", then the slippery slope continued past Mass Effect 2, and now we have a linear, story drivem 3rd person action adventure being called an rpg.

Can't wait for Telltale's MAJESTIC new episodic RPG, Sam & Max season 4.

The true definition of an RPG: it says "RPG" on the box.

Duraframe300

Arcane

There are (now) lots of games worse in handeling it. Though, there are a few moments where Horizon gets really bad also.

Like the quest where you help a gay metalworker to get past a caricature of a conservative and the entire conversation is basically *Look at how much *right and progressive* I am than you with my questions and you can just react like a child*. Not even good arguments mind you but your standard 08/15 parody version of how a progressiv thinks any argument with someone that doesn't think like him works. And after that a small rant how people are stuck behind the times with the gay guy.

Though that entire questline had questionable writing.

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Just got to the palace in Meridian. OMG TEH KING HAS A PALACE AND LITTLE PEOPLE ARE OPPRESSEDED AND I, A TOTAL OUTSIDER WHO DOESN'T KNOW SHIT FEEL LIKE TELLING HIM HE'S A BULLY.

Yeah, absolutely no librul propaganda here, move along.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Finishing up after Persona 5 pause (will go back to P5 after for newgame+)

And yeah, the game remains good, but slightly overrated and while not too obnoxious still with the sjw beats.

I'm currently finishing up the second to last mission and...

Yeah, I'm still not on board with how the game expects me to feel about certain things. Nor am I in love with Aloy's personality like everyone else seems to be. In fact as far as female protagonists in gaming go she ranks pretty low for me. IMO.

Including an incredibly cheesy *mah feelings* dialouge.

Duraframe300

Arcane
And done. Last mission was epic enuf even if the final boss was disappointing and decent sequel hook. Overall opinion didn't change.

Popamole linear open world game that's decently designed, doesn't overstay its welcome, offers decent nuff writing, a good number of gameplay options and is gorgerous to boot.
My (personal) main problems is that the writing definitly is too biased even if its not obnoxious and Aloy belonging to the most boring, one-note main protagonists I've ever played.

Really don't get what people see in her, except if you already share a similiar personality. But in that case she may as well be a silent protag.
On that, the lampshaded *brooding* romance between her and the war chiefs son is hilarious in how stilted it is. Were the writers ordered to strictly avoid attraction or emotion?

In conclusion: Enjoyed my time with it well enough to 100% (including all datapoints) it and clocked in at 72 hours.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Finished (took WAAAAAAAY longer than I should have on the first Deathbringer, completed the game on the same say).

I am disappoint. The story is clearly just a set-up for a bunch of sequels, probably one every year. Or as degenerate marketing suits call it, an "annualized franchise." Saw it coming but the part after the end credits makes it clear.

Story starts off great, but there are some holes big enough to drive a Metal Devil through. For example:

If the whole world was being rekt due to robots converting all biomatter into fuel, why not just launch genetic matter (or cryo frozen people) into orbit, wait for the Faro-bots to run out of juice and come back, then harvest the wreckage? No need for Minerva generating the shut down code. No need for the Apollo subroutine, no need for Hades, etc.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
Story starts off great, but there are some holes big enough to drive a Metal Devil through. For example:

If the whole world was being rekt due to robots converting all biomatter into fuel, why not just launch genetic matter (or cryo frozen people) into orbit, wait for the Faro-bots to run out of juice and come back, then harvest the wreckage? No need for Minerva generating the shut down code. No need for the Apollo subroutine, no need for Hades, etc.

But
Didn't they just wake up when new biomatter was available? Wasn't that the whole point of Minerva making the shutdown code? And Hades being able to override it? I thought it was supposed to be a cycle which kinda relied on the faro robots being integrated into the cycle. Hence hades just turns them back to eating biomatter when the time for the apocalypse comes

Quite liked it. They clearly just mashed together the bits of Far Cry and Witcher that they liked, but they did it pretty well.
Aloy was uninteresting and her dialogue was bleh.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Finished (took WAAAAAAAY longer than I should have on the first Deathbringer, completed the game on the same say).

I am disappoint. The story is clearly just a set-up for a bunch of sequels, probably one every year. Or as degenerate marketing suits call it, an "annualized franchise." Saw it coming but the part after the end credits makes it clear.

I have the impression that the robots dont need bio-matter specifically to function. The swarm consumed humanity as a means of self replication, like the grey goo scenario, but without bio-matter they would still function and pose a threat to any humans that would return to earth, hence the shutdown code decryption.

There is a log that mentions that there was a colony space ship launch, but it ended up in catastrophe.

Edit: Nice timeline here: http://horizonzerodawn.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I would put a SPOILER tag to this but I don't think it matters at this point.
The only smart thing from the main story is that the original catastrophe was caused by a bunch of hackers which toyed with the Faro Swarm. That was good.

But afterwards everything else is borderline retarded:
- Alloy is a fail-safe mechanism which happens to work but there is no rational reason to assume that Alloy would be able to restore Gaia. Everything is a huge gamble and we should accept that Alloy can do it because she is the clone of some Mary Sue (aka Elisabet Sobeck) !?
- Hades existence doesn't make sense. Nobody would plan for an AI capable of wiping out life on Earth when in fact they were trying to recover from a catastrophe caused by rogue AI.
- The Faro Swarm had an exponential grow rate. Well, that shit would overrun Earth faster than Elisabet Sobeck could write the requirements for Gaia and the rest of systems.
- The entire story is overwritten by the ending when Hades becomes a magic firefly. It's like the writers unzipped their pants, took their flaccid cocks out and then proceeded to pissed on everything that went before.

Also the game provides cheap emotional moments like this:
- Ted Faro killing a room full with alphas and destroying all human knowledge because he didn't want humans to repeat the same mistakes !?
- Elisabet Sobeck sacrificed itself by closing a huge bunker door because nobody could do it except her !?

Game-play mechanics are good, the world design is good maybe even great, tribes backstories were decent but the main story is a mess.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron

I have the impression that the robots dont need bio-matter specifically to function. The swarm consumed humanity as a means of self replication, like the grey goo scenario, but without bio-matter they would still function and pose a threat to any humans that would return to earth, hence the shutdown code decryption.

There is a log that mentions that there was a colony space ship launch, but it ended up in catastrophe.

Edit: Nice timeline here: http://horizonzerodawn.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline

Yeah, read that but the in-game lore dumps give WAY more detailed information on the backstory.

Also:

The robots actually need fuel (it isn't stated exactly what in the game, presumably some form of hyrocarbon)

Plants, animals and humans are the emergency fuel source, to be used in case normal fuel isn't available. Ted Faro himself is p. surprised when the first kill-bot starts blending up dolphins.

So clearly, if their normal fuel is gone and they have eaten all the biomass, they would eventually die off. Entropy, bitches.

I would put a SPOILER tag to this but I don't think it matters at this point.

The only smart thing from the main story is that the original catastrophe was caused by a bunch of hackers which toyed with the Faro Swarm. That was good.

Dafuq? Do they ever say that?

But afterwards everything else is borderline retarded:
- Alloy is a fail-safe mechanism which happens to work but there is no rational reason to assume that Alloy would be able to restore Gaia. Everything is a huge gamble and we should accept that Alloy can do it because she is the clone of some Mary Sue (aka Elisabet Sobeck) !?

She is not a fail-safe. She is Gaia's last ditch attempt to reactivate herself after explodinating Hades. Probably thought up by Gaia itself rather than being programmed.

The "failsafe" was Hades. It's explained in the game - Gaia procedurally generates an entire ecosystem. It is quite possible to get something wrong, thus they needed a way to reverse the process and start over.

- The Faro Swarm had an exponential grow rate. Well, that shit would overrun Earth faster than Elisabet Sobeck could write the requirements for Gaia and the rest of systems.

It's not actually said how fast they replicate in game, but we know they move slow as fuck, at lest the big ones. I'm not sure about the timescales either - inventing completely new technologies and putting it all together in the most ambitious project ever created by mankind in 15 months? Yeah right. And that's assuming they had 15 months. We do know that from Wichita it took 36 hours for the Horus robots to reach Robot Command which is in Utah or something.

- The entire story is overwritten by the ending when Hades becomes a magic firefly. It's like the writers unzipped their pants, took their flaccid cocks out and then proceeded to pissed on everything that went before.

Agreed, it's a cheap trick to set up a sequel.

Also the game provides cheap emotional moments like this:

- Elisabet Sobeck sacrificed itself by closing a huge bunker door because nobody could do it except her !?

Yeah that's more of the feminist bullshit I was talking about. Like a real wymyn is going to sacrifice herself like that, instead of getting one of her betacucks to do it. Please.

Game-play mechanics are good, the world design is good maybe even great, tribes backstories were decent but the main story is a mess.

Plus the music is amazing.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Also: ITZ coming - Strider prototypes already up and running:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Actually thinking about it again, I'm ready to make another one of my famous guaranteed true prophecies:

Horizon 2: Hades Boogaloo will explain what happened like this:

Far Zenith or some other corp or group, maybe eco-terrorists, built a colony somewhere in the solar system. Maybe Mars. They sent the signal that triggered the whole thing to teach humanity some bullshit lesson about greed or arrogance or something banal shit boring like that.

You saw it here first folks.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Dafuq? Do they ever say that?

There were at least 2 logs hinting that the original Faro spawn went rogue because some hacktivist eco-friendly group messed up with the machines signal.

http://horizonzerodawn.wikia.com/wiki/Idiot_Army

Personal Log
User 89865441

I'm not sure what I expected being part of a hacker collective to be like, exactly, but so far the whole Idiot Army thing has been anticlimactic. Turns out being a world-renowned cyberthreat mostly consists of hanging out in intentionally tacky-looking holospaces with dudes in anonymizing skins. Most of which are, like, meme-based. Like there's a dude, or maybe a few dudes, with a skin modeled after that Incredulous Pigeon reaction holo. Couple guys who are literally just walking kapok trees. I asked someone what the next big operation would be (I even had suggestions! Doxxing Far Zenith? Fitzing corporate warbots? Come on!) and he called me a "turd baron," as though [DATA CORRUPTED]

I'm sorry but I don't find the other thing. I could be wrong but I really like the idea - it somewhat similar to 12 Monkeys.

The "failsafe" was Hades. It's explained in the game - Gaia procedurally generates an entire ecosystem. It is quite possible to get something wrong, thus they needed a way to reverse the process and start over.

Exactly the shit I did not like :) Who can evaluate if something went wrong!?

Take notice that is not only about the ecosystem, it's about the human civilization. So basically Hades was designed to wipeout humans !?

I'm sorry but we can only agree to disagree. HADES is the most retarded idea ever. Anyone sane would be happy to bring back life to Earth and would not care if it was the "correct" type of life.

It's not actually said how fast they replicate in game, but we know they move slow as fuck, at lest the big ones. I'm not sure about the timescales either - inventing completely new technologies and putting it all together in the most ambitious project ever created by mankind in 15 months? Yeah right. And that's assuming they had 15 months. We do know that from Wichita it took 36 hours for the Horus robots to reach Robot Command which is in Utah or something.

You are correct. They don't mention it specifically but the replication rate was incredibly fast according to in-game logs and different animations (there are several instances in which the game shows you how the machine covered the Earth).

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Since the machines went nuts and started to consume everything in Timor(?), the projected extinction of the human race was 15 months. The delaying action by the military managed to extend the deadline for a further 2 years.

I really enjoyed the outcome being hopeless, and the game did a good job in presenting the despair of everyone involved, from the civilians, to the soldiers, scientists an command structure. There was no win scenario and the only outcome for earth was to be turned into a mars regardless.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
The delaying action by the military managed to extend the deadline for a further 2 years.

No it didn't. Plague started around October/November 2064. By the end of January 2066 everything was dead and Gaia sealed up. That's little more than a year. No extra 2 years.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
There were at least 2 logs hinting that the original Faro spawn went rogue because some hacktivist eco-friendly group messed up with the machines signal.

I'm sorry but I don't find the other thing. I could be wrong but I really like the idea - it somewhat similar to 12 Monkeys.

Take notice that is not only about the ecosystem, it's about the human civilization. So basically Hades was designed to wipeout humans !?

I'm sorry but we can only agree to disagree. HADES is the most retarded idea ever. Anyone sane would be happy to bring back life to Earth and would not care if it was the "correct" type of life.

You are correct. They don't mention it specifically but the replication rate was incredibly fast according to in-game logs and different animations (there are several instances in which the game shows you how the machine covered the Earth).
The ecosystem has to have the correct balance to sustain human life. If there ends up being to little oxygen, or too many predators or whatever, humans couldn't survive. Thus, there needs to be a way to start over and fix it. Thus: Hades, the reset button.

Presumably Hades was only supposed to work BEFORE the humans were released into the world. But due to some h4xxing it went rogue.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

The ecosystem has to have the correct balance to sustain human life. If there ends up being to little oxygen, or too many predators or whatever, humans couldn't survive. Thus, there needs to be a way to start over and fix it. Thus: Hades, the reset button.

Presumably Hades was only supposed to work BEFORE the humans were released into the world. But due to some h4xxing it went rogue.

Too much deus ex machina h4xxing for my taste.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom