Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Horizon Zero Dawn - open world action-RPG from Guerilla Games - now on PC

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.guerrilla-games.com/play/horizon

https://af.gog.com/game/horizon_zero_dawn_complete_edition?as=1649904300

http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/113677-unconfirmed-guerrilla-games-developing-open-world-rpg.html

Those of you who have been following the industry close enough to keep tabs on Killzone developer Guerrilla Games are already aware of the fact that they're working on "a brand-new, as-yet unnamed IP" that was rumored to be an RPG, but now unconfirmed reports come via Twitter that the game is indeed an open-world RPG and is "being compared to The Witcher." According to this report on OnlySP, we may be looking at an E3 reveal:

According to Shinobi602, Guerrilla Game’s next IP is some sort of open world RPG. As others have noted, some of the things posted in that erroneous leak that occurred the other day detailing Sony’s Press Conference in full are legit. But to what extent exactly most are uncertain.

An E3 reveal for the game is likely according to Shinobi, and in a much more interesting note the game is being compared to The Witcher in terms of the game’s scope which, is a bit vague as Shinobi noted to us, but could relate to the game’s story, open world size etc, but we’ll let you speculate on that part. Personally I think it’s related to the game’s world size considering the IP is supposedly open world.

Shinobi confirmed to us directly the this piece of information comes from a trusted journalist that he knows and not from a direct source inside Sony.
Anything being compared to The Witcher has my attention, but I'll hold out on any real excitement until some actual details are spilled.

RPGs, everybody's doing 'em these days. Amazed that they're comparing it to Witcher and not Skyrim.

Last edited by a moderator:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I love the internet age. Random Gaf posters become deep throats.

Anyway, PS4 exclusive means I will almost certainly never play it.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It'll look nice, at least. The killzone games don't inspire much faith in the studio's ability to write a good and interesting story. Only Killzone game I liked was the first one on PlayStation 2. At the very least, the game will look good, I'll give Guerilla the benefit of the doubt in that area.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
But John Gonzalez, who was the creative lead of New Vegas, joined the developer, and is the lead writer of this console exclusive, right?

:negative: Shit.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Guerilla games? An rpg?

Jake-Gyllenhaal-Laughing-In-Donnie-Darko-Gif.gif

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
I hear Grimoire 2 is going to be an Xbawx Exclusive.
EDIT- Also Grimoire 2 will be an MMORPG with a port to the Ninetendo Wii (The Wii will be lacking some features but you can use the motion controller thingy to make up for it)

Quit hatin'

Duraframe300

Arcane
I don't quite get what you mean DraQ.
I mean that it is truly the decline of the prestigious magazine, which is RPGCodex, to waste space on console exclusives, and witnessing it fills my heart with sadness.

Wasn't Demons/Dark Souls mentioned sometimes?

Also I'm not surprised in the slightest ever since they hired John Gonzalez. He fell in love with the gerne on New Vegas and this was probably the only way Guerilla Games got him.

Duraframe300

Arcane
It'll look nice, at least. The killzone games don't inspire much faith in the studio's ability to write a good and interesting story. Only Killzone game I liked was the first one on PlayStation 2. At the very least, the game will look good, I'll give Guerilla the benefit of the doubt in that area.

Did you like New Vegas plot? And charachters like House and Honest Hearts survivalist? Same Writer.

Perkel

Arcane
I have little to no hope for this. As someone said it will probably look amazing but systems, scope, characters and everything else what makes good RPG will be shit.

At least it is not new Killzone which was from start terrible franchise.

Still considering how awesome was Killzone lore .... nahh that lore wasn't even in games... fuck it. It will be shit.

Killzone lore is great. Problem is there is no lore in actual games. Just bang bang bang shit^2

That is why i posted above. Creating lore and story is whole other different thing that creating game with that story.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Assuming that a game won't have good writing based on past games might be a bit unfair. There's nothing stopping them from hiring on writing talent, after all, and as primarily a shooter developer, I wouldn't expect them to have a huge stable of writers on staff for the Killzone titles.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Did you like New Vegas plot? And charachters like House and Honest Hearts survivalist? Same Writer.
Yes, I very much liked New Vegas. Since my post, and I have learned that John Gonzales jonied Guerilla. On the other hand, Travis stout worked on State of decay, and that game didn't keep me interested more than five minutes.

Luzur

Good Sir
Killzone lore is great. Problem is there is no lore in actual games. Just bang bang bang shit^2

That is why i posted above. Creating lore and story is whole other different thing that creating game with that story.

from what i saw of the games its "evil" space nazis with glowing eyes VS "kinda good" helmetless i-can-see-their-faces-so-they-are-the-good-guys US...err, ISA goons.

Perkel

Arcane
That is what games tell you. Basically nothing more than space nazi vs good isa/vecta.

Lore not in games tells you much more complicated story.

That is why most of people who know lore want to play Helgasts and kill ISA scum.

It is kind of like Final Fantasy XIII lore where most of it and most important parts are not inactual games

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Killzone could have the best lore ever but it's still a shitty linear shooter with horrible analog stick aiming controls.

This game has two possible outcomes: 1) It's a shit game, and I laugh at it, or 2) It's a decent game ruined by being a console exclusive, like Dragon's Dogma.

imweasel

I mean that it is truly the decline of the prestigious magazine, which is RPGCodex, to waste space on console exclusives, and witnessing it fills my heart with sadness.
Still better than wasting space for shit like Skyrim.

:smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom