Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Horizon Zero Dawn - open world action-RPG from Guerilla Games - now on PC

vonAchdorf

Arcane
She isn't constantly talking to herself anymore.

Looks ok, I guess, some interesting tactics.

Last edited:

Severian Silk

If this is an actual RPG and the combat is at least as good as Witcher, then I might try this.

But I didn't find the combat or robodinos very convincing. Why do they roar like that? And if you blow up parts of a robodino, shouldn't parts start falling off?

(Maybe I am being unfair.)

Beowulf

Arcane
I think it would feel more at home in General Gaming:

It might be too early to tell, but judging from the focus of those videos the "rpg elements" might go as far as - they told you to get x cannisters as a quest, quests are an rpg element; you can find spear +5 damage, good itemization is rpg element as well, right. Our robodino shoots lazurs from it's mouth and has quadrillion of polygons. You live in a world where you craft explosive arrows on the fly, but thinking of creating a combustion engine as a means of travel for your people is beyond your capabilities.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Looks like a babbified Monster Hunter for the AAA masses. Also lol'd hard at the guy saying "this is totally an RPG because there are numerical values operating behind the scenes!!1" Well shit maybe Doom and Quake are RPGs as well because there are numerical values assigned to the different weapons?? Maybe every single game that was ever made is an RPG?

anus_pounder

Arcane
Was wondering why this looked like shit, realized its not ubisoft, it's console exclusive and it's made by the people who did Killzone.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
So this is the new era of action/adventure popamole games. Looks very similiar to Rise of the Tomb Raider - in a bad way.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Horizon Zero Dawn Previews

While the bigger news for those of you who live in the UK might be that Horizon Zero Dawn's release date has been moved up to March 1st, the rest of us are more fixated on the pair of new hands-on previews for the open world RPG that have emerged online.

The first article comes to us via GamingBolt:

The demo involves the main protagonist Aloy as she readies her equipment to hunt down these mechanized animals that roam the lands freely as the humans stay in hiding. Why is she hunting them down? It’s not answered in the demo as to why, but once I got my hands on the controls, it didn’t matter. With a smooth and precise configuration I hadn’t felt a third person adventure game with controls this good in a long time.

There were opportunities where I had to go hunting so I gave the old weapon a try. Aloy’s bow just had that feel, that, not only did it work perfectly it felt as though it knew how comfortable with it, especially when running or sneaking through the demo. The bow had a weight to it, a feel as though pulling back on it gave me the time I needed to look at exactly what I needed to take down, and it gave me the opportunity rather than feeling as though my pull back force amounted to nothing.

And then we take in a few more details, courtesy of SheAttack:

Horizon: Zero Dawn has a variety of primitive inspired weapons. You can use melee weapons for attacking up close and finishing off enemies when they are trapped or on low health. You can also used ranged weapons such as the bow and a sling shot type of weapon (my favorite) that can fling ice and fire bombs at enemies. I particularly admired how natural it felt to move around and dodge when necessary. I also felt the game was extremely fair and balanced as to how the enemies approached, charged, and attacked. There were plenty of ways to get out of a sticky situation by rolling, running, or using the variety of weapons. Maneuvering and using the ranged weapons felt spot on, and whatever I felt like doing, I did it. Whether it was shooting at enemies with my bow at a long distance or trapping an enemy to hot wire it and use as a makeshift vehicle, I felt like I was in charge.

I have no reservations or worries when it comes to the controls of this game, the overall feel, and the fun factor when hunting enemies. I had a blast and felt a rush of adrenaline each time an enemy sensed my presence and started charging at me. The music and sound effects definitely played a part in making it feel intense and gratifying.

Looks like as much of an RPG as an average Assassin's Creed game, and I have no idea why it's being marketed as such. How does misrepresenting the genre your game is in help drive sales?

Kem0sabe

Arcane
So entire game plot and details were leaked by 4chan and then reposted on neogaf, they seem legit.

Apparently game is only 20 hours long for a normal play-through...

---

Arcane
So entire game plot and details were leaked by 4chan and then reposted on neogaf, they seem legit.

Apparently game is only 20 hours long for a normal play-through...
Link?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom