Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TBS HoMM3 fan add-on Horn Of The Abyss now available in English

Bros, this shit is awesome! Really well made for an expansion (especially since it's fan created!). Seems balanced and professional.

I didn't like WOG too much, it was OK if you played vanilla to death, but too mish-mashy for my tastes, but this is on another level... Like NWC still lives! :D

Can't wait for further expansions and content if it's going to be made this well!

Anyone know when can further expansions be expected? Will they also be translated in English? Judging by that screenshot seems like Russians already have the new dwarf town? What will the third one be? Where can I see more screens of the new content and latest news (even if it's Russian)?

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Anyone know when can further expansions be expected? Will they also be translated in English?

All I could gather is that if they are working on something, then it's definitely the dwarf town. Here's an excerpt from the homm wiki on the planned towns:

The Kronverk (germ.) – the alliance of the northern nations – dwarves, highlanders and nordlings. The town consists of these races and other northern mythical creatures. The Kronwerk tactical style will depend on maximal defense and to the magical potential of the town NEW magic spells (Rune magic) will be added. As for the weak sides – rather slow unit speed and no flying units. Architecture – roman style and some Eskimo-styled (igloo, buildings made from ice and snow). The town will be released in HotA 2.0.

The Cathedral - inquisition, religious fanatics practicing torture and magic. Neutral alignment – (for their objectives tend to be good, but their methods are certainly evil). Strategy and tactics – attack oriented, powerful attack spells. Weak sides – rather slow speed, medium defense. Classic Gothic architecture – high buildings, narrow windows, faint lightning. The town screen will have bleak and sombre autumn atmosphere. This town will be released in HotA 3.0.

Note that they started work on the HotA add-on in 2008, the 1.0 version was released in 2012 and the english translation arrived just now, in 2014, so, whatever they're working on might take quite a while.

Damn I hope I won't die before all the xpacks are out. I want that Cathedral gothic town!

And this:

640px-Hotascr22x-1-.jpg

I love that new terrain. Reminds me of Heroes 1 desert scenarios...

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I installed Horn of the Abyss and I'm very impressed in how all the additions are so well integrated to the game. There are many nice, small touches like having troops in combat making idle animations more frequently, or dragon flies are constantly flapping their wings. I also like the resigned pikemen and halebardiers. The Cove faction is very nice and features a great town musical theme.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Looks very, very nice. I'll have to give it a spin. Never played much fan-made content, but I know it can surpass the original stuff if done well.

Suicidal

Arcane
Playing this online with my friend as we speak. It's awesome indeed, many nice touches that are present in newer HoMM games (such as showing how many units will die if you attack them and not just the damage, creatures accumulating in neutral dwellings as time passes, etc.). Hope they don't too long with following updates.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
They remade the Pirate Utopia map from HoMM2! And now you can actually play as a pirate! The HoMM2 buildings on the world map look great, too.

tindrli

Arcane
can anyone explain knowing that some of us are retards, what to install, where are the links, and what order, and can it bi installed on GOG version?

uaciaut

Augur
Got WoG installed on top of HOMM3 Complete, would installing this cause any problems?

Eyeball

Arcane
Only if you consider "won't Work at all" to be a problem.

WOG does not mix with this.

bloodlover

Arcane
Got WoG installed on top of HOMM3 Complete, would installing this cause any problems?

It only works with SoD or Complete version. Read the info from the HC forums.

The modification surely will not work on AB, RoE or WoG. No ERM (or other script language) support is available.

uaciaut

Augur
Fast answers, thanks, looks like i have to reinstall homm

edit: Actually i installed HoMM Complete again in another place and skipped uninstalling the WoG version in case i ever feel like playing it again, let's see if this causes any problems D:

Last edited:

uaciaut

Augur
A Dutchman bending over, a midget Chaos Space Marine, a shirtless midget with a redneck beard holding a trash can, a goat, a Jew with a hubcap, a Blue Meanie riding Chewbacca and an obese old man with hypothermia.

How is this NOT wacky enough for you?

Problem is most of said creatures look like they belong to tower/rampart so making a new faction with them kinda feels odd. In particular having a goat as a t4 creature kinda seems cringe worthy to me.

tindrli

Arcane
not just any goat, seems its a Sheep afterall but i could be wrong

ovis canadensis

bighorn-sheep-ovis-canadensis-ram-feeding-yellowstone-national-park-wyoming.jpg

or
Ovis Nivicola ( Russian relative)

baran.jpg

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
edit: Has anyone played the character with cannon specialization? I wonder if he's any good since you get the bonus only once every 6 levels.

This can't be right. The tooltip states that Cannon will receive att/def bonus every level AFTER [hero's] 6th level, I.e, game treats it just like any other level 6 creature in this regard.

Oh and the cannon hero is fucking amazing. Not only do you save 6000 gold on Blacksmith and cannon purchase, it does shitton of dmg AND attacks walls. I'd pick him as a starting hero on a 200% difficulty map for sure.

Last edited:

uaciaut

Augur
Man i forgot how annoying it was to pillage EVERY dragon utopia and not get the last 1-2 artifacts you need to complete a set, WoG kinda solved that by adding a shop that let you change artifacts in others from the same set for a price.

uaciaut

Augur
Also isn't the fact that the Cove Grail building makes all terrain the native one for Cove kind of counter intuitive given that most (if not all) cove champs start with pathfinding as a secondary skill?

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Also isn't the fact that the Cove Grail building makes all terrain the native one for Cove kind of counter intuitive given that most (if not all) cove champs start with pathfinding as a secondary skill?
True, but units get a speed bonus in combat when fighting on a native terrain tile.

Cadmus

Arcane
This is really good. I must say that many of the units look like they belong elsewhere, but fuck it, I think that part of that is just that we know it's an expansion and we are already used to the old units.
1) The 2nd best unit seems really overpowered, I like it because I get pissed at my pirates getting raped in every fight. It's like with Grand Elves, the unit looks so cool but you don't get to play with it because every fucking asshole will just kamikaze into them as long as he chips off at least 1 unit.
2) I like the new buildings that give you some more money and resources.
3) I hate the fucking bullshit 4 HP basic units, they are worthless, or somebody please educate me on how to use them properly, same like with Pixies.
4) The cannon is fun and the cannon hero is pretty good, especially in the campaign where you have to start from a scratch every time, so the cannon gives you some nice boost.
5) I don't remember the original campaigns to be this difficult, I saw only 3 maps and it seemed they all required some metaknowledge of what to do and what the enemy has. But maybe I just suck.
6) The new character portraits look kinda shitty.
7) The remade pikemen look shitty, same as the old ones.
8) The AI seems a lot better or is it just me?

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
somebody please educate me on how to use them properly, same like with Pixies.
The correct way to use them is to attack them with a necromancer.
:troll:

But, yeah, low HP units are a hassle, because they also have low attack and defense and the AI knows to target them to annoy the player.

I haven't played the campaign yet, but fan mods are often on the difficult side to challenge players who know the inside out of a game. There's one regular scenario that can only be beaten using some serious meta-gaming. I'm looking forward to next two factions being added to the game.

Cadmus

Arcane
somebody please educate me on how to use them properly, same like with Pixies.
The correct way to use them is to attack them with a necromancer.
:troll:

But, yeah, low HP units are a hassle, because they also have low attack and defense and the AI knows to target them to annoy the player.

I haven't played the campaign yet, but fan mods are often on the difficult side to challenge players who know the inside out of a game. There's one regular scenario that can only be beaten using some serious meta-gaming. I'm looking forward to next two factions being added to the game.
No, seriously, how do you use Sprites and similar such units correctly?

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Uh, you press W and attack when a slower enemy makes a move? They're actually quite good units for creeping.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom