Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HOMM 2 vs HOMM 3

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters

FeelTheRads

Arcane
The only "rule" I played hotseat with was that at some point we decide to fight with our main heroes, outside of towns obviously, and who wins is the winner.
Everything else is faggotry.

Orzie

Arbiter
With that logic, you could deinstall the game and fight on a piece of paper with pens. Who needs that video games and their rules.

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
The only rule we had for hotseat games was, "no peeking!"

Orzie

Arbiter
Seems that Heroes 3 will also get multi-colored fonts like Heroes 2 soon :) And even more.

5898620.png

Last edited:

Orzie

Arbiter
As an ironic response to this thread, here comes Heroes of Might and Magic III: The Succession Wars!

h_1441565640_3262062_905d896c26.png

Do you remember all those fancy HoMM2 fonts? As the other graphic elements of that game, they certainly added a lot to the comfortable fairy-tale atmosphere. H3SW Team was successful in implementing the fonts to HoMM3, creating the new font format. Now we can not only reproduce the original HoMM2 letters, but also design our own new elements to enrich the game's graphics. The prototype of such font can be seen on the first picture in the map name!

For those who does underestimate the importance of the presented update, we should clarify: the native HoMM3 fonts are monotonous and don't support half-transparent shadows and soft color transitions. Considering this aspect, they give in to HoMM2 fonts which look good even on beige backgrounds.

Wd0M1BG.png
MqcQEPv.png
mshE1B8.png

Orzie

Arbiter
Sure, I've always been for such kind of activities, although most of my dudes in the internets don't share this feature.

The only problem is that I don't drink alcohol. +M But still we can find something I guess.

To stay more or less on-topic, here are some more modding insights.

Heroes 3 lacked multi-colored flags, so we simply invented them. :)

d26Nyzn.png

Same goes for different castle exteriors on different terrains. Warning: harshly outdated graphics (2014).

g0yTy3SucG8.jpg

Last edited:

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Russian mod bros are doing god's work. I'm simply astounded by the level of professionalism and love put in stuff like HoTA and HoMM3:SW. :salute:

Orzie

Arbiter
Russian mod bros are doing god's work. I'm simply astounded by the level of professionalism and love put in stuff like HoTA and HoMM3:SW. :salute:
Thank you all for the kind words dudes. Actually, HotA Crew members also participated a lot in the development of H3SW, having my eternal gratitude.

I guess the reason for highly developed H3 modding in Russia is the absolute popularity of this game. We don't even say "HoMM3", it's enough for us to say "Let's play Heroes".
Still, other games of HoMM franchise are also very popular. Fun fact: WoG was also made by Russians (initially).

So you building on top of VCMI or WoG?
Modified WoG (ERA II) in the case of H3SW. Yet, we plan to make an install-and-play version unlike the previous release which was in fact an ERA II portable mod.
Don't ask us about WoG options, they will never appear as anything you got (or couldn't get) used to.

+ Will you be using the ashirox backgrounds for towns or is that just some cool fan art?
We actually have some nice results of working together with Ashirox. It was him who made the project logo (with the help of HotA team leader in the process of post-production).
His artworks certainly found a place in H3SW: the townscreens fit amazingly for the singleplayer menu, while his remake of the H2 main menu is going to be developed further to become H3SW main menu. Probably, we may even have the same active store signs like in the original H2 - it depends on Ashirox's motivation.

(again a lot of outdated graphics)

h_1428587721_8799397_bd361670f0.png

SjTjlYJ.png

W5mF6kG.png

Reject_666_6

Arcane
So I decided to give the mod a try and it's p fucking awesome. Looks and sounds amazing, can't wait to fiddle around some more. The only downside is that it's not compatible with the HD mod outside of menus (which is a shame, since vanilla ERA runs well despite lack of windowed mode support.)

You're also probably aware of this, but there's a dialogue box that pops up on launch saying amethyst.cfg is missing, but it seems to be harmless.

Orzie

Arbiter
I must note that the new version is to be released pretty soon. The old beta is too much outdated and doesn't describe the current state of the project.

As for HD Mod, there will be some compatibility tweaks, including new interfaces :) ERA is not compatible only with HD+.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Can't brofist that enough. Why can't anyone make tbs with such graphics anymore instead of shoving a shitty 3d down people's throats:d1p:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Buutttttt threeduuuu so innovative rotate camere to see the horses genitalia

Shadenuat

Arcane
Sooo sexyyyy
HoMM2 is the best looking game in the series

...weeeeell maybe aside from it not having purple dragons, knights with huge moustaches and huge magic tower shooting fireballs at enemies if they try to storm your city

also the Barb theme

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Anyone being able to beat the Alteris map for HoMM 2? It's a user-made map that was included with the Gold version.
You start with two small Warlock and Sorceress armies, two lvl 1 heroes (but with good stats and skills), and a village. You have to flee the starting position and regroup on an island to the north, where there are two villages to develop.
By the time I had built a Dragon Tower and some days before bulding a Phoenix Tower one of heroes was attacked by this guy with insane stats and troops to match:

kDyPMoA.png

PVN17pr.png

I had two stacks of Genies and was lucky enough to halve the stack of almost 400 Wolves.
But if this mofo heads for my island there's not much I can do.

And this barbarian is not even the main enemy...

Last edited:

Orzie

Arbiter
That was actually the main hero of the enemy, having some uber artifacts like the Ultimate Sword. Looks like you've been messing up a lot on the starting stage, the best strategy in Alteris is to capture native towns asap, gather manifold resources in the sea and get rid of the main barbarian hero being already prepared for his arrival. Suicide genies included.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
That was actually the main hero of the enemy, having some uber artifacts like the Ultimate Sword. Looks like you've been messing up a lot on the starting stage, the best strategy in Alteris is to capture native towns asap, gather manifold resources in the sea and get rid of the main barbarian hero being already prepared for his arrival. Suicide genies included.

There are two enemies, Yellow (Barbarians) and Purple (Necros, the main enemy).
I've just explored normally, and came across the yellow main hero. Came across him twice actually, and second time I managed to halve the Goblin stack, and with 20 spell power and a couple of Meteor Showers I did nice damage to him. In the meantime my dragons are multiplying, so it looks like I may have a chance after all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom