Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Holy crap NWN2 crashes a lot.

Ion Flux

Savant
Project: Eternity
I get a CTD about 90% of the time when I transition between areas within the city of Neverwinter and it's friggin' annoying. I'm running a GeForce 8800 GTS 512 on a WinXP x64 box with the latest official nVidia drivers and it's about as stable as a two-legged dog.

Anyone else notice this and uncover a solution they can share?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I get the same thing in The Witcher. Same engine.

Disconnected

Scholar
Try:
Error-checking & defragging your HDDs.
Using the original executables.
Disabling any & all mods.
Post for help on the Bio BB.

Ion Flux

Savant
Disconnected said:
Try:
Error-checking & defragging your HDDs.
Using the original executables.
Disabling any & all mods.
Post for help on the Bio BB.

It's unmodded, but I'll see if a defrag helps. I was hoping to avoid the Bioware forums, but I'll go ahead and post. If anyone has a working solution, I'll post it here.

cardtrick

Arbiter
I used to have exactly the same problem. Try disabling EAX (environmental sounds) before transitioning areas. That cut the incidence down from crashing 2 out of 3 times to more like 1 out of 10 or 20, which was much more manageable.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
I've only just recently started having a heap of crashes. One of the patches, or maybe SoZ, seems to have fucked things right royally. Sometimes it's a sound loop crash, sometimes it's a major graphical corruption bug before things go south. Games like Fallout 3, Crysis, Far Cry 2, and Stalker CS run well on max settings, so I'm pretty sure it's nothing wrong with my system as such.

I also have that annoying character avatar corruption bug. Me not happy.

hiver

I had a problem with default sound card set in the sound options.
After i changed that it stopped crashing on me.
Just choose one by one from the list until it stops crashing.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Ion Flux said:
I get a CTD about 90% of the time when I transition between areas within the city of Neverwinter and it's friggin' annoying. I'm running a GeForce 8800 GTS 512 on a WinXP x64 box with the latest official nVidia drivers and it's about as stable as a two-legged dog.

Is this a copy that is removed from inventory?

eggsackly

Novice
had this, too, and it helped to just let one character instead of the whole party walk into the transition areas. stranger than fiction but no crashes since.

Ammar

Scholar
I've always run the legit version with the latest patch and without any mods and had crashes when leaving an area, too. However it was nowhere near 90%, at the worst it was at 50% and was then improved by the patches. Now it's at about 10-20%. Systems runs nicely stable with other games.

So, while it only seems to appear on certain system I'd still bet it's a software problem with the game. BTW the Witcher might have the same Engine but I have no such problems there.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
I haven't had a single crash with NWN 2: SoZ with 1.21.1549 patch. I play with the disc image mounted over Daemon Tools and no disc in drive (it's not a cracked version of the game, but the original one) on Windows XP 32 bit with Service pack 3.
You can try making an image of your game disc and mounting it with daemon tools, tweaking the sound and graphics options, checking your disc space, and finally changing your OS.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Um, no. I didn't even face problems with the unpatched NWN2 to be honest.

Disconnected

Scholar
Running the game on 1 core (if you have a multi core processor)
This solved all area transition issues for us, but that was way back before MoTB was released. Patches since then made it unnecessary.

If you're having fps issues too, try disabling EAX like Cardtrick suggested, and lower the hardware acceleration a step or two.

deranged

Cipher
Try this:

If before the transition you have multiple characters selected, select a single one and initiate the transition using this character only. I never had a CTD but this solved my problems with the computer freezing when loading new areas.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
A long while ago, I *did* have some odd crashing problems, but as soon as i updated my motherboard BIOS and updated my chipset drivers, I have had no problems at all with NWN2.

Ion Flux

Savant
Jaesun said:
Ion Flux said:

Is this a copy that is removed from inventory?

Only the inventory of the store that I purchased it from.

eggsackly said:
had this, too, and it helped to just let one character instead of the whole party walk into the transition areas. stranger than fiction but no crashes since.

This doesn't seem to be the problem. I'll check the sound card configuration and report back later.

Zero Credibility said:
I had the same problem with MotB (but not with SoZ) and what fixed it for me was disabling party AI before transition. Also try what eggsackly suggested.

Something here might be useful as well:
http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting#Crash_on_transition

Oh cool. This looks promising. I'll check it out.

Based on what you guys are saying it sounds pretty idiosyncratic, but you've given me some good places to start looking. Thanks!

Relayer71

Liturgist
Never had a crash with NWN 2 or MoTB.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom