Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Hollow Knight

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Played about 10 hours over the past couple of days. Thus far, the game is really good, and indeed the best metroidvania I've played in years, if not the best ever. Only complaint I really have thus far is having to recover your stuff Souls-style, which doesn't really work given how often you can actually spend any of it, plus one very annoying gimmick in a certain section of one area. Other than that, enjoying myself immensely, absolutely zero desire to switch to Torment.:smug:

hajro

Arbiter
Its the attention to details, actual work done.
Like for attention this gif
geobugs_smalltvkf9.gif

1st something rudimentary like a pickup magnet powerup is done in a non world breaking way
2nd look at dat hitbox :prosper:

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I was going to play the game but I can't (boring hardware problems). By telling it's great, you're making the wound even more painful. :argh:

Jinn

Arcane
Damn, getting really tempted to play this. The major criticism I've heard levied towards it is that it's too derivative of Ori and the Blind Forest, which I haven't played either. While Ori looks like an absolutely stunning game, this game's tone and atmosphere seems to appeal to me a little more aesthetically.

So I guess the question is: this or Ori first?

Icymad

Novice
Damn, getting really tempted to play this. The major criticism I've heard levied towards it is that it's too derivative of Ori and the Blind Forest, which I haven't played either. While Ori looks like an absolutely stunning game, this game's tone and atmosphere seems to appeal to me a little more aesthetically.

Ori is more casual, better animated but not as inspired in the art department as Hollow Knight. Play Ori first, because there is some game breaking bugs (serves me right, day one, not even once) in this game and this game demand at least 30 hours in the first playthrough (longest metroidvania i played since Aquaria)

Jinn

Arcane
Ori is more casual, better animated but not as inspired in the art department as Hollow Knight. Play Ori first, because there is some game breaking bugs (serves me right, day one, not even once) in this game and this game demand at least 30 hours in the first playthrough (longest metroidvania i played since Aquaria)

Thanks for the advice, but I actually went ahead and got it. It is fucking awesome. Only about 2 hours in, so will come back and post about it when I get a little further in.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Saw a preorder trailer of it weeks ago and thought it looked like another 2d "artsy" indie game, is it actually worth it?

Jinn

Arcane
My opinion after a couple hours of play is yes, definitely. I don't imagine that will change. But you could always get it and get a refund if you're not liking it for some reason in the first 2 hours. Especially if you like metroidvanias in general you will be enjoying this. Not to mention it's only $15 and supposed to be a somewhat lengthy (for the genre) game.

I like the art style quite a bit, particularly when it's in motion. Maybe it's something that would grow on you.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

Ori and Hollow Knight are very different games. Ori is honestly a pretty bad metroidvania - there's little freedom or sense of exploration, developers clearly expect you to take a predetermined path through the game, and rewards for backtracking are mundane at best. The game feels like someone took the idea of a metroidvania and streamlined everything that makes one different from a linear platformer out of it (and the developer's opinion on Hollow Knight supports this strongly imo). It is, however, very good as a platformer (though combat is really shallow), excellently paced, and has great graphics and music.

Hollow Knight, on the other hand, is a game about exploration first and foremost. It has some decent-to-good platforming and some nice combat (much better than Ori in this aspect, especially the enemy design), but first and foremost it's about making your way through a sprawling, interconnected world. It has practically no handholding, and precious little guidance - there's not even automapping by default, you need to find a map dude in an area and buy it from him, and you need to devote resources to even have your current position be visible on your map as well. You always have multiple places to go, and going places almost always results in finding stuff that opens up more places to go.

Which one you like more honestly depends on what you expect from a game like this. I'm squarely in the Hollow Knight camp, though I did enjoy Ori for what it was.

Karellen

Arcane
Is anyone having any performance issues? I was trying out the demo I got out of Humble Monthly, and the game somehow managed to eat through 8GB of RAM, getting progressively more stuttery before finally freezing up around an hour into the game, forcing me to forcequit everything because the whole computer was out of memory. I guess I might be playing games on a potato, but still, it's been years since I've had that happen.

Visperas

Augur
I see in their Steam Page that they're still fixing a few issues. Are they common? Have you been encountering them?

The comments on that last news post are all about other bugs and stuff...

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I see in their Steam Page that they're still fixing a few issues. Are they common? Have you been encountering them?

The comments on that last news post are all about other bugs and stuff...

The main issue (still present in the beta branch) is that you occasionally get a random framerate drop, which is very annoying and can kill you if it happens at a bad moment. This seems independent of hardware and is likely another shit-legacy of Unity. For me, it didn't happen very often (maybe once every 30 mins?), but if you're sensitive to that kind of stuff, then I suggest waiting to see if patches fix it. Other than that, in the span of 40 hours it took me to 100% the game, the only bug I saw was one missing piece of flavor text (and the patch linked above actually fixed that).

Visperas

Augur
Cool! I actually got the game and yeah, those framerate drops happen from time to time but it's nothing major. It's a great game. I liked Salt & Sanctuary even more but this is very good.

Ivan

Arcane
does this have floaty combat like Salt and Sanctuary? or does it feel more grounded? floaty combat put me off Apotheon

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I spent an evening with this game. It's doubtful I'll play any more of it.

This game rips off Aquaria wholesale and then steals many pages from Dark Souls, both in terms of gameplay and aesthetics. It does absolutely nothing new, so the big question is whether it does something well.

With combat being the centerpoint of the game, it's good to know that they didn't screw that up. Enemies are varied enough that things never get dull, though I have to remark that getting above enemies and hacking downwards seems to be a universally viable tactic. The controls are simple and fluid enough that a keyboard works fine.

But sadly Hollow Knight has two major problems.

The first is the map system. In order to get a map you need to find the cartographer. Then you buy the map from him, then he directs you to a vendor in the starting town whom sells all the accessories for the map, like markers, the option to update the map and even something as basic as being able to tell where you are on the map has a price tag on it. Buying the accessories is a one-time affair, but for every new zone in the game the "find the cartrographer and buy the map from him"-thing needs to be done EVERY SINGLE TIME. This is easily the dumbest implementation of an in-game map system I've seen in years. I can understand doing it once, but until you've secured a map of the zone you're in you have NO MAP at all - even though you've spent good money buying everything needed to make your own map! And once you do find the cartographer and buy his map, your own map is automatically added to his, making the whole effort absolutely meaningless! (And being unable to add your own markings to a map in a metroidvania game is inexcusable.) I have good spatial awareness but even I ended up going in circles a few times in mapless zones, and the biggest reason for that lies in the second major problem of the game.

The second problem is the aesthetics. To put it bluntly they're dull. It's dull and grey, then it's dull and blue, then it's dull and green, then it's dull and brown, then it's dull and grey AGAIN, etc. Both Aquaria and Dark Souls have environments that made you stop and admire them from time to time. Hollow Knight has environments that make you want to kill yourself as they're all monotonous, uninteresting and look the same. This is not a game that motivates you to keep playing.

Pretty much everything else that I haven't mentioned is "meh". The music is "meh", the plot and story are "meh", the characters you meet are "meh", the inventory system is "meh". Nothing to talk about, really.

I'm sure this game will have its fans and be enjoyable to some, but to me it's just a hollow "meh". It's not a bad game per se, but I've played better and more interesting games than this.

Visperas

Augur
I spent an evening with this game. It's doubtful I'll play any more of it.

This game rips off Aquaria wholesale and then steals many pages from Dark Souls, both in terms of gameplay and aesthetics. It does absolutely nothing new, so the big question is whether it does something well.

With combat being the centerpoint of the game, it's good to know that they didn't screw that up. Enemies are varied enough that things never get dull, though I have to remark that getting above enemies and hacking downwards seems to be a universally viable tactic. The controls are simple and fluid enough that a keyboard works fine.

But sadly Hollow Knight has two major problems.

The first is the map system. In order to get a map you need to find the cartographer. Then you buy the map from him, then he directs you to a vendor in the starting town whom sells all the accessories for the map, like markers, the option to update the map and even something as basic as being able to tell where you are on the map has a price tag on it. Buying the accessories is a one-time affair, but for every new zone in the game the "find the cartrographer and buy the map from him"-thing needs to be done EVERY SINGLE TIME. This is easily the dumbest implementation of an in-game map system I've seen in years. I can understand doing it once, but until you've secured a map of the zone you're in you have NO MAP at all - even though you've spent good money buying everything needed to make your own map! And once you do find the cartographer and buy his map, your own map is automatically added to his, making the whole effort absolutely meaningless! (And being unable to add your own markings to a map in a metroidvania game is inexcusable.) I have good spatial awareness but even I ended up going in circles a few times in mapless zones, and the biggest reason for that lies in the second major problem of the game.

The second problem is the aesthetics. To put it bluntly they're dull. It's dull and grey, then it's dull and blue, then it's dull and green, then it's dull and brown, then it's dull and grey AGAIN, etc. Both Aquaria and Dark Souls have environments that made you stop and admire them from time to time. Hollow Knight has environments that make you want to kill yourself as they're all monotonous, uninteresting and look the same. This is not a game that motivates you to keep playing.

Pretty much everything else that I haven't mentioned is "meh". The music is "meh", the plot and story are "meh", the characters you meet are "meh", the inventory system is "meh". Nothing to talk about, really.

I'm sure this game will have its fans and be enjoyable to some, but to me it's just a hollow "meh". It's not a bad game per se, but I've played better and more interesting games than this.

Personally, I'm enjoying it a lot. I haven't played a lot of Metroidvania games but I think I'm gonna like the genre. I played Salt and Sanctuary and I loved it. What other better and more interesting games (in this genre) can you think of?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom