Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"Hobbit" Trailer Released

Discussion in 'Codex Public Library' started by WalmartJesus, Dec 21, 2011.

1. J_C Could be Matt Barton. Maybe. Patron The Real Fanboy

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Gerrard Augur

Gerrard
    Except it doesn't. Gandalf leaves after the party and returns later, there is no mention about how much time passed, but it clearly wasn't "right after".
    ^ Top  
  3. Trash Simply fabulous

Trash
    The butthurt LOTR managed to create amongst nerdish overweight male virgins is bound to be surpassed with this one. Go Jackson, go!

Pretty sure I'll enjoy the movie as well. Oh yes.
    ^ Top  
  4. hiver Augur Dumbfuck White Knight

hiver
    Not even comparable to so called fans of that shallow special effects shit being so butthurt by any realistic critique that crap deserves.
    ^ Top  
  5. Trash Simply fabulous

Trash
    Realistic critique and crap in one sentence. Hahaha.
    ^ Top  
  6. hiver Augur Dumbfuck White Knight

hiver
    What... you actually thought im going to repeat all of it in that sentence or was that the only pathetic comeback you could come up with?
    I cant tell which option is more dumb, seriously. And it is crap, nothing strange about that.
    ^ Top  
  7. Quetzacoatl Liturgist

Quetzacoatl
    :hmmm:
    ^ Top  
  8. Trash Simply fabulous

Trash
    Pointing out that talking about realistic critique in one breath and use the word crap as a describtion in the next is pretty laughable is as dumb and pathetic as whiteknighting for a 'girl' on the codex? :smug:
    ^ Top  
  9. Quetzacoatl Liturgist

Quetzacoatl
    ?
    ^ Top  
  10. hiver Augur Dumbfuck White Knight

hiver
    Trash, youre a dumbfuck. You can try and try and try but you wont ever succeed, not even in trolling. Because youre a dumbfuck.
    The critique of specific issues is in this very thread. Its not my problem you didnt read and that you cant flip back a few pages.

And i was not whiteknighting. Thats just a internet meme created by turds to desperately try to diminish something that makes them uncomfortable.
    Which usually is their desperate desire to please themselves by enjoying some hubris. In old greek sense of the word. Or Aristotle explanation, if you will.
    And that also... makes you a turd.
    ^ Top  
  11. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    In addition the representation of Sauron as a titanic warrior in full plate is wrong. He looks more like Morgoth. He should not look like a towering warrior who can sweep entire companies of soldiers with his mace. He was always more of a sorceror than a warrrior..
    After Numenor's downfall Sauron was "no longer able to assume a fair form". I have always assumed that meant he could no longer "shape shift" at will, and was trapped in his very tall (but not gigantic) "terrible dark wizard" shape, much like The Emperor in Star Wars if The Emperor was about 2,5 meters (8 feet) tall.

Why Jackson did it? Because the 12-13 year old boys the films were targeted at will cheer more if they see a titanic warrior with a great mace than a wizard with more limited physical prowess. Jackson is mostly about getting cheers from the peanut gallery and appeal to the feelings of kids, than any subtle story telling.
    curry Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  12. curry Augur

curry
    :bravo:
    ^ Top  
  13. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    I though Aragorns fight against the Uruk-Hais after Boromir being mortally wounded was good. It was fast and efficient and none of the slo-mo and stupic CGI shit that mars most of the other fights.

markec said:

I don't agree about this. Yes, Action-Jackson changed Aragorn, but not quite the way you describe.
    In the books Aragorn is about 80 years old (he has elf blood so he only looks about 40) and had prepared his whole adult life to be the returning king to Gondor. Indeed, it is the condition Elrond sets that no man less than king of both Arnor and Gonder will be worthy of his daughter Arwen, even if Elrond loves Aragorn as a foster son.
    In the movies Aragorn is a reluctant king and I think Viggo Mortensen looks just to weak to play Aragorn. Book-Aragorn is more "perfect" and IMO a rather boring character once he's no longer the mysterious Strider.
    Also, The Mouth of Sauron, who was a herald and thus should be granted diplomatic immunty while negotiating, should never have been killed by Aragorn. That is totally out of character for him and a despicable thing to do. In the books Aragorn just stared at him and the Mouth flinched and feeling threatened, thus showing Aragorn's inner strength. But of course, that is far too subtle for Action-Jackson, so he has Aragorn chop his head off, no doubt to wild cheers from the 13 year old boys in the theatre

Gondor only gave the the land of Rohan to the Rohirrim in the first place, and not only as a vassal state but as an equal partner in a defensive alliance. But that was probably not dramatic enough.
    ^ Top  
  14. hiver Augur Dumbfuck White Knight

hiver
    Just a detail or two.
    Aragorn did not have any elven blood. He was Numenorean. Elendil led a relatively small number of uncorrupted Numenoreans to Middle Earth, escaping the destruction of Numenor. Sauron who was captured long before that and led to Numenor as prisoner corrupted the rest, which decided to attack Vallars and distant Undying lands themselves in order to gain true immortality. Which caused the destruction of Numenor and complete change of the world itself. Sauron was also "killed" but he managed to escape as a sort of a ghost back to Middle earth where he grew corporeal again. But he couldnt change shapes anymore. Nor his werewolf and vampire shapes, nor those more pleasing to the eye.

Aragorn comes from the northern kingdom of those Numenoreans, that was called Arnor, and he is a direct descendant of Elendil.
    Numenoreans were given longer lives (and Numenor itself) as a reward for suffering they endured fighting with elves against Morgoth, thats all.

Also, there was no mention of height of Sauron. All the story says is that he was completely black and had a skin that burned like fire when Elendil and Gil-Galad fought him.
    I would think he was similar in height to humans and elves otherwise that would have been mentioned.
    The movie version is just ridiculous and basically a half assed Morgoth. Since Morgoth was atleast twice bigger than that anyway.

And i would agree with Markec that Aragorn was not so certain of himself and whether he will succeed, despite his years and experience. For example, he had been to Rohan and in Gondor, long before, where he became a commander and became very popular but he left before things escalated into him being more or less forced to take over.
    And even if Elrond gave him a demand of becoming a king of Gondor and Arnor before letting Arwen marry him, and therefore becoming mortal herself, Aragorn was never sure he will make it, in the books.
    But never in a way that made him seem weak. Rather just realistic and careful, because he knew what the stakes are and against what they are going.
    And his long years and experiences only made that opinion stronger. He knew he could be killed at any moment, as anyone else.

In fact he only made the final choice when he looked into Palantir captured from Saruman and revealed himself as Elendil heir to Sauron, then wrestled with Saurons mind and managed to keep his sanity and take control over the Palantir.
    Which were basically seeing stones old Numenoreans used to communicate between their two kingdoms.
    ^ Top  
  15. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    hiver, Elendil, and thus Aragorn, was descended from Elrond's brother Elros through one of Elros' female descendants. The brothers again were descended from Luthien, who was the offspring of the elf king Thingol and the demigod Melian. So Aragaron was the grand-grand-grand-etc-nephew of Elrond.
    But since Elros chose to be a human, I guess Aragorn didn't technically have any elf blood, and you are rigth that his longevity stems from his Numenorean descent.

Sauron's height and appearance is mentioned in one of Tolkien's letters:
    ^ Top  
  16. hiver Augur Dumbfuck White Knight

hiver
    Is that letter speaking of Sauron at the time we were discussing?
    Still, sounds as a relatively high human more than anything else.

Anyway, i could tolerate a greater height for the purposes of it looking epic in the movie... i mean, fuck it, if a moron is making it and he cannot do better and create a more interesting and engaging form then some giant figure (whos design he just stole from Morgoth illustrations of Howe and Lee), as we can see here:
    [​IMG]
    Then what can you do. fuck it.

But the rest.... the rest was so terribald it was insulting.
    I already said it so i wont repeat pointlessly but... killing Elendil with first shot...and all that...ugh!
    And Elendil even made some scared faces too ...
    Thats like... like.... I dont even fucking know what to compare it with! Thats like... ...like.... superman turning into a pedophile. Worse!
    ^ Top  
  17. abnaxus Arcane

abnaxus
    It's written that Morgoth crushed Fingolfin under his foot, so it should be more like

[​IMG]
    ^ Top  
  18. someone else Prophet

someone else
    Is LOTR your holy bible or something? Come on, you rage about it like Fallout fans raging about Fallout 3. It is just a game book. I don't like how the movie changed the characters, especially Merry, a noble and wise hobbit but you don't see me foaming about it.
    ^ Top  
  19. hiver Augur Dumbfuck White Knight

hiver
    abnaxus
    Yes. The illustration i posted shows a much smaller Morgoth and obviously was the one used for stupid Sauron in the movie.

someone else, what the fuck do you want?
    Youve read too many wyrmlord posts and now you came to me to complain about me?
    No its not my holy bible you moron. anything else?

oh yeah, i fucking hate that piece of shit 3 with fiery passion too.
    that shit does not deserve the name it carries.
    ^ Top  
  20. someone else Prophet

someone else
    hiver, imagine being with Grandalf, what wise counsel will he give?
    [​IMG] : Chill man
    ^ Top  
  21. Wyrmlord Self-Ejected Patron

Wyrmlord
    Your troll was very successful.
    ^ Top  
  22. hiver Augur Dumbfuck White Knight

hiver
    Well, dont post insulting derogatory stuff and maybe i could, wise old fart.

Oh yeah, worked great for him. maybe you could try too.
    ^ Top  
  23. Gragt Arcane Patron

Gragt
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
    Not a single thread about The Tree of Life since it was released, but a sizeable amount of cockgobbling for the trailer of what will likely be yet another Hollywood mediocrity. This does not bode well.
    ^ Top  
  24. curry Augur

curry
    So he was a badass because he was big? Tolkien, I am disappoint. :troll:
    ^ Top  
  25. Trash Simply fabulous

Trash
    Poking fat nerds always yields guaranteed results. Easy as taking candy from a child. :smug:
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)