Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HITMAN, the new episodic Hitman - GOTY Edition

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
That shitty fucking minimap :lol:

Divinity: Original Sin
I bet (and hope) the minimap will be an on/off toggle, or maybe the dots indicating AI. It actually reminded me of assassin's creed maps with red zones indicating restrict areas. The level looks huge and impressive, and i'm cautiosly optimistic.

I'm re-playing blood money right now on pro, if it manages to be like that...

And damn. I promised myself I'll never pre order a game again and ended up buying it.:oops:

Ivan

Arcane
-there will definitely be a dedicated map key, worry not
-glad they're reusing all the assets/animations from Absolution and focusing on level design (Glacier 2.0 is beautiful enough anyway)
-I like the idea of "enforcers," i.e. particular npcs that can see through your disguise (a chef>cooks, head of security>security guards, etc)

This is shaping up to be the best Hitman yet. Will pre-order upon imminent release

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I thought "enforcer" was a weird term for it, but I like the idea that specific disguises can be coded to be "breakable" by certain people or groups. I don't really see why "disguise see through" should only apply to a certain brand of NPC though. Why not just give every NPC flags for "can see through bellboy disguise ☑ can see through French maid disguise ☐"?

Adon

Arcane
I don't want to be racist against white folk, but all the blond chicks with ponytails looked the same to me. :prosper:

Cadmus

Arcane
-there will definitely be a dedicated map key, worry not
-glad they're reusing all the assets/animations from Absolution and focusing on level design (Glacier 2.0 is beautiful enough anyway)
-I like the idea of "enforcers," i.e. particular npcs that can see through your disguise (a chef>cooks, head of security>security guards, etc)

This is shaping up to be the best Hitman yet. Will pre-order upon imminent release
oh wow, such optimism

Dev_Anj

Learned
The game really looks like Absolution. They took most of the mechanics from that game, which doesn't seem like a good thing. You seem to have more fun and stuff is less contextual (from what I saw you can climb around everything and hop over rails whenever you want), but... still, it looks like an Absolution reskin with better levels.

So are you saying the disguise system is like Absolution? Or the mechanic where a guard searches you for weapons is like Absolution? Just the cover system and animations which are most likely placeholders don't make a whole game.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I thought "enforcer" was a weird term for it, but I like the idea that specific disguises can be coded to be "breakable" by certain people or groups. I don't really see why "disguise see through" should only apply to a certain brand of NPC though. Why not just give every NPC flags for "can see through bellboy disguise ☑ can see through French maid disguise ☐"?
That is probably the implementation, only they'll keep on the lowdown for playability.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-09-22-hitman-delayed-until-march-2016

Hitman delayed until March 2016
Paris level is six times the size of Absolution's largest stage.

Hitman's reboot has been delayed until March 2016, developer IO Interactive has announced.

It was originally slated to arrive on 8th December for PS4, Xbox One and PC.

"We're going for a new release model where we put out a good chunk of the game when it begins and then release the remaining locations over time," the developer explained. "These few extra months will mean we can add more to the launch content of the game, more than we had originally planned, and then follow with a tighter frequency of updates, which ultimately will create a better game for everyone."

Aside from a more condensed post-release schedule for add-ons, Hitman will also be a very large game. IO estimated that its Paris level is six times the size of Hitman: Absolution's largest stage, Streets of Hope. There will also be six times the number of potential Contract Targets with 1600 crowd members occupying the stage.

"The playable area and density of our locations goes beyond anything we've built before," the developer stated. "We're striving to create a series of living, breathing worlds in those locations and we get pretty obsessed about every detail that you'll experience."

"Moving a launch date is never an easy decision, we know it's frustrating to have to wait a bit longer for the game, but we truly believe it will mean we can deliver a better launch and overall experience."

jpg

Keshik

Arcane
Would have preferred a level size comparison to Blood Money, heh. Though that's not much of a measure of quality.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You morons. The thread title quite obviously would have to be: Hitman, the new hitman from the developers of hitman aka hitman thread for hitman fans.

I wish I wasn't this skeptical - Hitman, like Deus Ex, is exactly the kind of game that should be made all the fricken time but hardly ever is anymore. At a tech level, any FPS maker should be able to do it. More importantly, the base gameplay (thinking Blood Money, here) is significantly simpler than that which mainstream gamers are used to when playing Bethesda games. Any player who is comfortable with FO3 or Mass Effect should be able to handle the mechanics of Deus Ex, and would find those of Blood Money an absolute breeze.

Of course, handling the mechanics are one thing, and difficulty level/complexity of the challenge offered by those mechanics is another. But there aren't really any examples of games that have flopped by virtue of that challenge/complexity, where the base mechanics are manageable for most players - and plenty that indicate the opposite, that mainstream gamers will enjoy a challenge, so long as they don't get lulled into button-mashing and suddenly hit a wall where the game instantly expects them to play intelligently (i.e. counter to what they've been doing thus far), and if they don't have to 'work' to learn to control the character.

Yet it seems like developers and publishers keep losing their nerve - they want to make an interesting game, but then in the final stages of development they panic, thow out any mechanics that reek of originality and polish out the challenge. There's been a few interesting articles on paid beta-testers that are illuminating - that people who are playing a game for their 9-5 job and haven't paid for it (surprisingly, this is the factor that gets emphasised in most of the articles) are far more likely to do stupid shit or to rage-quit (mentally rage-quit, even if they don't actually stop playing due to it being their job, they just give up trying to beat the puzzle and file a bug report).

Part of that may simply be because professional beta-testers are an absolute bottom-of-the-run position, the computing equivalent of a janitor, though many may be using that job while studying for something higher up the chain, or simply filling the role as one part of their programming/bug-fixing duties. I.e. maybe they have a tendency towards the stupid, and cause developers to underestimate the market. Or perhaps it's as the articles suggest, and people who don't pay for something, and haven't really 'chosen' to play that particular game, are in a different 'mental zone' to players, and hence end up as fodder for the stories infamously idiotic playtesters spending 45 minutes running in circles around the starting room because nobody told them to click on the door to open it.

Either way, it's one positive of the Early Access system - actual gamers as the test market - which, in almost every other way, is bizarre scam material. It seems that in the past few years, a few developers have cautiously taken steps back towards these AAA-but-interesting games - still baulking at the last minute, but not retreating quite so utterly (e.g. DE:HR). At least the Hitman advert above looks like it was deliberately crafted to imitate the sort of graphics that gamers use to demonstrate how badly gaming has declined - if they're aware of the problem, they might take at least a half-stumble towards fixing it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Aside from the cramped/segmented levels I didn't think Absolution was the Pile of Shit/10 the Codex judged it. At least they've learned from that and directly addressed the issue head on by expanding the level design. Plus it's Squeenix so it'll be 75% off before you can sneeze.

So how big is Streets of Hope compared to the average hitman map? I mean hitman maps can be big, I want to say that the new orleans map was the biggest or least had the most NPCs in it.

Plus it's Squeenix so it'll be 75% off before you can sneeze.

Price is not the issue, it's about not rewarding publishers to make shitty games. Look at the weeaboo DMC fans, they didn't buy the DmC reboot even when the prices were slashed, or when the DmC reboot: special edition version was released. They just bought the better game instead, DMC4 special edition. And now capcom is cockteasing making DMC 5.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, I was going to post about how bigger isn't really better - since how much wandering around do you really need to do to kill one guy? - but then I thought about Absolution and really those maps were not very expansive; most didn't have a real sense of freedom of approach. So instead I will say that I support this decision.

randir14

Augur
They kept dancing around the issue of how much content would be in at release. Not surprised to see it delayed.

Ivan

Arcane
The only thing I remember about Absolution is madly running behind sofas and chairs to hide, all the while differently dressed npcs were looking at me thinking "okay"

Angthoron

Arcane
Not too surprised about delays. If they fuck it up, I'm guessing that's another franchise they get to kiss goodbye, so they might as well at least try to make it decent.

Keshik

Arcane
https://hitman.com/en-us/news/hitman-release-details

Today we’re thrilled to share long-awaited details on our release plan for HITMAN. As most of you hopefully know by now, HITMAN will be a live game experience that delivers content over time, supported by live events.

HITMAN RELEASE DETAILS
On March 11th 2016, we will release the initial launch content, which contains three locations - Paris, Sapienza and Marrakesh - featuring six campaign missions. For Contracts mode, you’ve got a combined pool of around 800 targets to craft your devious Contracts from, which means we’re expecting fantastic things.

Following March, we will release one new sandbox location per month in April, May and June. Each location will come with additional missions, signature kills and more Contracts targets – and of course new disguises, weapons and ways of taking out your target. April takes you to Thailand, May will see you visiting the United States of America and June sends you across the globe to Japan.

In addition, the live content will start in March. This consists of our live, time-limited targets, weekly IOI developed Contracts and promoted content built by the very best of you out there. Because, let’s face it, millions of you played and created fantastic Contracts for Absolution and we’re betting you’ll do even better this time around with so many targets and such complex locations.

THE INTRO PACK
Since we announced HITMAN at E3, we’ve had a lot of feedback on what we’ve revealed about the release model. Full access to the world of assassination will cost you USD $59.99 (or regional equivalent). For that price, you’ll get everything - all the content we’re planning on releasing, access to all live events and a secured spot in the HITMAN Beta, which will be available on PlayStation 4 and PC only. No additional costs at any time.

Today, with the INTRO PACK, we’re also giving you an additional option to jump onboard with just the March content – at a lower price point, of course. The “HITMAN Intro Pack” will also be available on March 11 2016, and will be priced at $34.99 (or regional equivalent). It includes all of the launch content, plus all Live Events and Contracts for the locations released in March 2016. Nothing more, nothing less.

Then, if you want to access the rest of HITMAN, you have the option to upgrade your purchase to include all the remaining content (and at the same time get access to all subsequent live events and Contracts across all locations). This will cost you an additional $29.99 (or regional equivalent). The upgrade pack will be available for purchase once the game has launched in March.

That’s it! Head on over to the forums or get in touch via Twitter (@hitman) and let us know what you think.

Ivan

Arcane
still unsure whether 6 maps = 6 levels, i.e., how many "levels" per "maps" or countries

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom