Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HITMAN, the new episodic Hitman - GOTY Edition

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Horrible analogy. Since when did video games become television shows? Never mind... since Telltale. Actually it's still a shit analogy since the full season of a television series is completed before it begins airing on television. The only reason it's meted out weekly is because that's how they generate revenue: selling advertising time. Compare that with series on Netflix where it's released all at once.

Uh huh, except for shows with episodes that are released during production. And books? I suppose they're written all at once and then released every few years?

The engine is done, the game mechanics are done, the balancing is done, the systems are done. All that's left is building levels, aka content. That's night and day from Early Access, which is about rebalancing, adding new systems, and bug squashing. Name one Early Access game that only added new content between EA release and final release.

The reason Telltale 'games' (and the new Hitman) aren't delivered all at once is... because they aren't finished.
Of course all the content isn't finished. That's the point. Can you really not see the difference between content-complete and systems-complete?
Can you really not see this game is not finished and in Early Access? With your $3,000 computer you need to see beyond marketing bullshit buzzwords like 'It's not episodic but a... LIVE EXPERIENCE!' Come on.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Can you really not see this game is not finished and in Early Access? With your $3,000 computer you need to see beyond marketing bullshit buzzwords like 'It's not episodic but a... LIVE EXPERIENCE!' Come on.
lol, that's what this is about, isn't it? You're still mad I bought an expensive motherboard. :lol:

OK, so you can't comprehend the difference between systems-complete and content-complete. Fine with me, I'm not trying to sell you anything.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
OK, so I can't comprehend the difference between systems-complete and content-complete.
Fixed.

Anyway, I'm not sure why you feel the need to act as an apologist for a multi-billion dollar corporation. This is as close to an 'Early Access' AAA launch you can get to... well... Arkham Knight.

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
The game really looks like Absolution. They took most of the mechanics from that game, which doesn't seem like a good thing. You seem to have more fun and stuff is less contextual (from what I saw you can climb around everything and hop over rails whenever you want), but... still, it looks like an Absolution reskin with better levels. Maybe it's bias, but I'm still worried about the implications of that cover system, which still seems wholly unnecessary; you never needed it in pre-Abs Hitman games, even when doing Suit Only runs, you just actually ducked behind cover/the levels were large enough to give the guards a wide berth/disguises actually worked on their own. At the risk of repeating myself, cover button leads to situations where you go through some really awkward setpieces, potentially limits level design and is overall clunky to handle at times.

Also, leaked material says that non-lethal takedowns cause stars to appear above enemies' heads. :prosper:

Wasn't that excited previously; now I'm going to be happy if it's just Good For What It Is.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Why are these monkeys so excited to play a crappy alpha game? Wait for release you chumps.

racofer

Thread Incliner
That Telltale doesn't call their games 'Early Access' is more of a dejure choice rather than the defacto reality. It's clear the entire game isn't finished at the time they release Episode 1 of whatever 'not game' they're currently bilking people with at the moment. This is painfully obvious given they rarely keep to their announced schedules -- especially bad with Tales from the Borderlands that pushed them from an episode a month to an episode every two months and even then I think it took nearly three months for them to put out Episode 3.

As long as a developer is up front with it, I don't have a problem since people can make their own informed choice. That said, let's call a spade a spade. They're selling/releasing the game in an unfinished state.
So when you read the first book in a series, or watch an episode of a TV show, you're consuming an "unfinished" product? :?
Yes.

Cars are an example of a finished product. So is computer hardware. Other stuff is bullshit we have grown used to in these jewified times.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You guys must get pretty sore throats from complaining to bookstore managers every time you see an "unfinished" product on the shelf. Must be tough living in "these times", i.e. for the thousands of years that episodic stories have been told.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I get sore fingers typing every time I have to point out when you make a shitty analogy.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
That alpha footage isn't enough to call it shit IMO. Yeaa there are some new UI decisions that are a little annoying as volrath said - this is not a huge issue for me though.
The footage only proves they made a hitman game.. Won't know if it's Absolution 2.0 or Blood Money 2.0 until more footage comes out and it's closer to finished.

I am still optimistic.. but ready to throw it out on it's ass if I get a whiff of dookie at any point. This won't be a mindless nostalgia purchase like Absolution was.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
jrwsno.jpg

Get your Triple-SLI GTX 980 Ti's ready, folks. You don't wanna miss out on this must-have feature.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Improvisation, Experimentation And Dark Comedy: Hitman Is Coming Home

hitmanheader.jpg

Absolution might be a fitting tag for what looks like a return to form and a casting off of the sins of the past, but since that subtitle’s already taken, I’m hoping I’ll be able to justify referring to this one as Hitman: Redemption [official site]. So far, the signs are good. I spent some time in the company of IO Interactive’s studio head, Hannes Seifert, as he played through a mission set at a Paris fashion show. As he manipulated NPCs behaviour and demonstrated some emergent possibilities, Seifert said all the right things about recovering the best of the series’ past. The game – this portion of it at least – backs him up convincingly. It’s looking good.

The easiest way to understand what I want from a Hitman game is to read my review of Absolution. If the game had entirely failed, it wouldn’t have been so frustrating. It wasn’t quite dead on arrival though, and the slim possibility of recovery struck me down with the deadliest weapon of all: hope. I’m naturally wary then, not wanting to suffer the same fate again. That doesn’t mean I can pretend to be anything other than excited though. Hitman, and Blood Money in particular, has a special place in my heart, and IO clearly have their sights set directly on that spot. Everything that Seifert says is pitched as reassurance that the studio remembers how to make the game that people want.

9hitman.jpg

The last time I saw the studio at Gamescom, I was seduced by Absolution’s Contracts mode. That mode remains an inspired piece of design, converting the canvas of sandbox assassination into a competitive toolset. Contracts is brilliant because it encourages creativity, focusing on exactly the kind of absurd improvisation that made levels like A New Life such a pleasure to play with. It’s a small level but packed with possibilities. That’s something that Seifert acknowledges: “There is no point in a huge world if there is nothing to do in it. Density is more important than sheer size. We have more death traps per square meter than ever before.”

Along with a story that reached for grindhouse but only reached the flophouse, Absolution’s greatest sin was the linear and unimaginative nature of many of its maps. They were restrictive – not so much canvasses as postage stamps – and often pushed the player from one point of interest to the next. Hitman doesn’t highlight its points of interest and allows you to make your own. Within the large building in which the fashion show is being held, there are backstage areas with electrical equipment to tamper with, gas heaters on balconies that could prove that smoking kills, and death from above can come in the form of light rigs and chandeliers. There are foodstuffs to poison, towers to snipe from, fireworks to cause distractions, NPCs with schedules to follow, and numerous ways to smuggle weapons into restricted areas.

hitman1.jpg

If every area in the game is as thick with potential subplots and experimental ‘accidents’, Hitman will be a rich game. That, Seifert explains, is the reason for the distribution model. If every map is to be as large and complex as the fasion show, IO will need time to create them. Rather than releasing a game of uneven quality or delivering late next year, they reckon they can provide enough material in the first release to keep people entertained while they spend their time perfecting the next set of maps. The best laid plans don’t always work out but I’m cautiously confident that a steady drip of new locations will suit Hitman.

None of the maps will be restricted to online play – the ‘Live’ experience involves temporary hits and Contract competitions, but none of that is necessary – and the gaps between release should allow for reactive design based on how people play with the already-released areas. That last aspect seems enormously important seeing that the way in which people eked enjoyment out of the Contracts from Absolution has been a strong influence on the design of Hitman. The Contracts provide a loose framework for the kind of Looney Tunes comedic invention that made Blood Money such a joy to play. The tone here is playful rather than grim and gritty, and even though these sandboxes are really snuff boxes, the violence is cartoonish rather than cruel.

hitman1.jpg

The loadouts you can select are geared toward the same freedom of approach that the maps attempt to capture. You can take explosives, sniper rifles, lockpicks, wrenches, axes, silenced pistols, automatic rifles and more. New items are unlocked as you play as are stash points, locations within the level that can be seeded with fresh equipment to collect. Explosives can be placed anywhere and the most reassuring part of Seifert’s one-on-one demonstration showed how the AI will behave convincingly while playing into 47’s hands.

A guard was lured toward an armed explosive, controlled by a remote detonator. He was alarmed but knew how to deal with the situation. Crouching down, he disarmed the device and took it inside the building to dump in a secret armoury. From our perspective, he’s just smuggled a dangerous weapon inside, which we can now find and re-arm. If a civilian were to find it, he might pick it up to show to a cop or guard, not realising what exactly what it was but recognising that it might be dangerous. In doing so, he would become a walking bomb that could be triggered at any point. Or he might leave it alone, running away to alert security. These are not scripted interactions, they’re the result of NPCs following coded behaviour that is triggered by objects or sounds in the environment, and that allow the simulation to deviate from its original setup.

hitman2.jpg

Simulation is a key word. Seifert acknowledges that the behaviour of Hitman’s world is not entirely realistic but claims that it will be credible. As long as the player can understand how and why NPCs might react, the simulation is believable and it’s possible to exert control over it by causing ripples of reaction using a few simple tools and actions. And there will be plenty of possibilities – the fashion show is around six times larger than Absolution’s biggest level, and contains 300 active NPCs, all of which can be targeted in Contracts mode. IO describe the maps as being like “swiss cheese”, riddled with holes that can be exploited. There are numerous points of entry and exit, and it’s even possible to take out your target (in the story mode, that target is running the fashion show as a front for a gathering of international spies) and escape in his private helicopter.

What I saw of the fashion show seemed like the best of Hitman, and that’s precisely what IO are hoping to capture. “We want to keep the best of the previous games and drop the parts that people didn’t like so much,” says Seifert. “Disguises are important, freedom is important, a linear story and level design is not. Hitman is a creative stealth action game.”

hitman3.jpg

They have at least one good map to play out those creative stealth experiments. Questions about the content available at release don’t have answers yet but those answers are coming soon. It’d be good to know how long the wait between the release of new maps will be as well, and how many will be included when Hitman is complete some time late in 2016. “It will be bigger than Blood Money”, Seifert says, making an unprompted reference to the highpoint of the series.

Is there any temptation to include some levels from Blood Money in the new Hitman? It’d be great to revisit them with Contracts mode enabled. “I don’t think I can say too much about that yet,” he smiles. It’s the kind of smile that suggests Vinnie Sinistra should be watching his back and that we might be swinging by the opera house again while we’re in Paris. If the quality of the levels throughout the new game is as strong as this first close look at the fashion show suggests, Blood Money’s masterpieces would be in good company.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Today at PAX Prime: http://prime.paxsite.com/schedule/panel/hitman-the-art-of-assassination

HITMAN - THE ART OF ASSASSINATION
Join HITMAN Art Director Jonathan Rowe and Lead Writer Michael Vogt for an hour long journey into the design philosophy behind the visual and narrative universe of the world of assassination. Hosted by Game Informer’s Mike Futter, the pair will delve into the process behind the creation of the trademark living, breathing world of HITMAN and give numerous insights and examples into the design process for visual and narrative storytelling in a world where the main character says very little. How does art direction and story design impact the player experience in a complex game like HITMAN? The panel will end with a playthrough demo of the ‘Showstopper’ mission from the upcoming HITMAN game as well as a moderated Q&A.

HotSnack

Cipher
I haven't kept up with Hitman since the train wreck of the last one. Seriously we've moaned about the state of crpgs for years, but at least now we've seem to be hitting an incline. The stealth genre on the other hand hit the decline rock-bottom since assassin's creed became the most popular vaguely related to stealth hold X to free run simulator and the genre still hasn't recovered.

The devs should swallow their pride and just back-pedal on the dumb "let's add an emotionally engaging early-teens girl in our game as everyone is doing it" story of the last game and continue where blood money left off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom