Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HITMAN, the new episodic Hitman - GOTY Edition

Hitman: Codename 47 was a great game. Sure, it's hard to go back to it now after Blood Money, but it was by far the most revolutionary game in that series, in fact the only one that can claim to be, as all subsequent games simply polished and streamlined the experience.

You had to be there back in 2000 or 2001. There was nothing remotely like it. Back then most games of that sort were pure action, and not too long before, Thief came out and added stealth. But Hitman added a completely different kind of stealth, via disguises, a very novel mechanic. It was also one of the first games to use physics to that degree. In the age of canned death animations and static non-responsive environments, I remember how much fun it was to drag bodies in C47, and the way they would hang over manholes, roll down stairs, or how shooting an aquarium would cause the glass to shatter and water and fish in it to spill out to the floor. And while it did have uneven level design, it was some of its better levels, like that Belgian hotel one, that inspired Silent Assassin and Blood Money.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
CGffzwJ.jpg

They couldn't even get the tie color right.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Good for them. Nice that they lowered the barrier of entry to $15. That's the kind of move that works great on people like me (though I'm not going to do anything silly like preorder). I still appreciate all the talk they're doing about staying true to the series and listening to player feedback. Who knows if they'll come through of course, but this is good marketing-speak.

The only thing they screwed up here is all this talk about a continuing storyline. Last year a lot of the marketing was about "It's just you and a location and a target, that's what Hitman is." What's this about some cool years-long story arc for the series? Who asked for that?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Too me it looks like SE didn't give them enough funds for a complete game and they ran out of time for even the limited content they wanted to provide at launch, so they had to cut it further and also gain another month of development time by postponing physical distribution to the end of the year and having a digital only release.
That's what puzzles me. Hitman is one of their big name franchises so why lowball it? Unless they're really short on money.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That's what puzzles me. Hitman is one of their big name franchises so why lowball it? Unless they're really short on money.
Absolution was a commercial failure. I imagine Squeenix has spent the bulk of their money on Mankind Divided (it did get a lengthy delay).

Adon

Arcane
More like after the abysmal sales of Rise of the Tomb Raider, Squeenix is doubling down on milking out as much money as possible with another franchise.

sullynathan

Arcane
Absolution was a commercial failure. I imagine Squeenix has spent the bulk of their money on Mankind Divided (it did get a lengthy delay).
From what I found, it sold 3.6 million copies and Square Enix expected to ship 4 - 5 million in that year. It doesn't scream commercial failure.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
From what I found, it sold 3.6 million copies and Square Enix expected to ship 4 - 5 million in that year. It doesn't scream commercial failure.
Underperforming is the definition of failure.
In the HD games category, we delivered three major titles in the fiscal year under review, primarily in Europe and North America. These titles—Sleeping Dogs, Hitman: Absolution, and Tomb Raider—failed to reach their respective targets, and resulted in financially unsatisfactory consequences, whereas the HD business in Japan remained strong through sales of the Nintendo 3DS version of Dragon Quest VII: Eden no Senshitachi” (Warriors of Eden) and others.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
And didn't they recently cancel that Sleeping Dogs sequel, too?

Tehdagah

Arcane
Underperforming is the definition of failure.
In the HD games category, we delivered three major titles in the fiscal year under review, primarily in Europe and North America. These titles—Sleeping Dogs, Hitman: Absolution, and Tomb Raider—failed to reach their respective targets, and resulted in financially unsatisfactory consequences, whereas the HD business in Japan remained strong through sales of the Nintendo 3DS version of Dragon Quest VII: Eden no Senshitachi” (Warriors of Eden) and others.
The Tomb Raider reboot got a push later and ended being the most successful in the series, though.

Dzupakazul

Arbiter

According to that one marketing info thingy on Squeenix's sales figures, Hitman 2 had 4 million sales, but Contracts and Blood Money each only got 2 million sales. Wikipedia says Absolution sold 3,6 million within a year, which is an improvement, but it probably cost way more to make, what with making Glacier 2 especially for it and what not. I don't know if I'm reading this wrong or whatever, but anyway it took a 6-year-gap for a Blood Money sequel to resurface; IOI did Kane & Lynch (which wasn't a smash hit either) in that period, so I guess the franchise was never a particularly great moneymaker if they didn't milk it harder.

I do recall reading some press insider thingy about works on Hitman 5 being at full speed in an article from 2008 or something, so maybe they at least tried to do so.

Gerrard

Arcane
They couldn't even get the tie color right.
For their defense I will say that this is probably juat a render and not representative of the final product (i.e. the actual figure will look like shit).

Ivan

Arcane

death by car in A NEW LIFE confirmed as canon

b1073297873eb2e3bfc278ee0e9f283fc61347c2.jpg

WANT

Now, the last surprise better be Jesper Kyd

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
this is definitely wait and see but a return to large open levels conducive to player contracts is :incline:

Cadmus

Arcane
fuck the big levels, they're just lazy to make interesting small levels so they make 2 maps to ship the game with and randomly place targets on it FOR YOU TO CRAFT YOUR OWN STORY

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
fuck the big levels, they're just lazy to make interesting small levels so they make 2 maps to ship the game with and randomly place targets on it FOR YOU TO CRAFT YOUR OWN STORY

Hahahaa This..^

As games evolve.. we believe more and more that the player should be free to create the story they want. In Hitman we give you the tools to find the targets you want and kill them how you choose.

Translation:
We created one big map with procedurally generated npc's and watchdog style trap doodads and hoped you wouldn't notice just how hard we fucked you out of a game with any substantial content.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom