Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HITMAN, the new episodic Hitman - GOTY Edition

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I wish someone would remake the outdated old Hitman games and add in a proper cover system, X-ray vision and the revolutionary eat-a-donut-to-make-everyone-believe-you-are-an-actual-cop disguise system.

Seriously, though, for someone getting into the series, I probably wouldn't recommend the first game either. It's really great in places and already has all of the elements in place, but I don't know if I'd even call it a flawed gem since the mission design is so uneven and the game takes a serious nosedive so early, with only a few high points after the first few missions. Hitman 2 and Blood Money are really much better starting points and by far the best games in the series.

In a way the Hitman series is kind of like The Dark Project vs. The Metal Age, with the first game having a bit of everything, like the developers weren't completely sure that what they were doing would be enough to carry the whole game, and the later game(s) focusing more clearly on doing one thing really well. The difference is that unlike Thief Hitman falls flat on its ass every time it tries to leave its comfort zone.

Not really. The way the Hong Kong levels worked was a perfect tutorial, and it was well explained that you had to dismantle the Triad by severing all the ties and alliances they had through a series of assassinations. First few missions of C47 are good for introducing the concept of disguises, observing the environment, finding the vantage points, etc. They suggest some pretty obvious ways of dealing with the levels (sniping, carbomb, Godfather-style bathroom ruse), but you can perform something different with enough cunning and exploration (free sniper rifle in the alley in the Ambush mission). Then it slaps The Lee Hong Assassination as a final exam sorta deal.
I was mainly talking about the backstory of 47. The stories revolving around specific locations have usually been decent and a part of what makes individual missions stand out.

I also disagree about the Hong Kong missions being a perfect tutorial or even a good one, mainly because the game dropped many of those elements right afterwards. They'd be a really good introduction otherwise, though.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
Well, Doom has a story.

Hitman 1 has a disguise system. And has gunplay. Stealth mechanics? hitman is no conventional stealth series.

I never said C47 didnt have a disguise system. It had. But it was very silly. Guards never see through your disguise in C47. But in SA even if you stand near a npc for a certain time or just run along them they detect you.

Cadmus

Arcane
Yeah... Start trolling when you can't answer.
You're the retarded troll here posting irrelevant metacritic score of Hitman 1 and 2 when we're talking about why Absolution is utter shit you goatfucking towelhead.

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
Yeah... Start trolling when you can't answer.
You're the retarded troll here posting irrelevant metacritic score of Hitman 1 and 2 when we're talking about why Absolution is utter shit you goatfucking towelhead.

I agree and i said before that Absolution was crap. But i dont agree that Hitman C47 is better. (Lowest metascore in Hitman series)
As a hardcore Hitman fan i rate games like this : SA>BM>Contracts>Absoloution>C47

Also the term "towelhead" is used for people in india and arabic countries not iran.

Perkel

Arcane
At least they have Jasper on board for music so game will have stellar soundtrack to listen.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
At least they have Jasper on board for music so game will have stellar soundtrack to listen.

Sadly, they don't have him. I hope the guy they have delivers.

(Aug 14) http://www.hitmanforum.com/t/niels-bye-nielsen-to-compose-next-hitman-game-soundtrack/2861
I am a huge fan of the Hitman franchise and loved the Jesper Kyd soundtracks. That's why I asked Hannes Seifert at Gamescom about the next Hitman soundtrack.

In the interview it was confirmed that Danish composer Niels Bye Nielsen will compose the soundtrack.

More details here:
http://www.novacrystallis.com/2015/08/gc-2015-niels-bye-nielsen-to-compose-next-hitman-game-soundtrack/68

I will post the full interview in German/English in the following days

(Nov 14) http://www.hitmanforum.com/t/jesper-kyd/1274
When Jesper Kyd was asked whether he would compose for the next Hitman, he said:

I will not be returning for Hitman 6. But you never know in this business.

What did he mean by the last sentence? There is a possibility he might return for Hitman 6 but it is not likely? Or he might return to the series but after Hitman 6?

Ivan

Arcane
Possible. Remember how they changed the VA for 47 after the fan upheaval?

Sadly, I don't remember a single thing (musically) from Absolution.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Possible. Remember how they changed the VA for 47 after the fan upheaval?

Sadly, I don't remember a single thing (musically) from Absolution.
Trailer horns.

This one had really good trailer music. I hope the rest of the game's score is just as great.

pippin

The episodic release has been there since day 1, but the preorder thingy is new. What a shame. Squeenix is really bad at PR.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Funny to see Squeenix fuck up one of their few decent franchises.

Summoning Zombra get your Episode 1 preordered!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
:lol:

"So we were going to release three hubs with six campaign missions and then decided wait, how about we milk this by releasing one hub and two missions per episode???"

Riskbreaker

Well, 'tis not as if this didn't look just a wee bit too promising for another SE-published Hitman game.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Lots of marketing speak on their blog regarding this:

This year will be a defining year for Io-Interactive and Agent 47. This is the year when you’ll finally be able to play the new HITMAN. In the spirit of the New Year, we’d like to give everyone a deeper insight into how work is progressing on the game and also share some more information about what’s to be expected in 2016.

Staying true to the vision
At the end of 2015 we saw a lot of great progress and the game now feels like a genuine Hitman experience. The game is shaping up really well and the release is just two months away, plus the Beta is set to hit next month on February 12.

Now, we’ve always said we won’t put anything out until it’s ready. That means what we release has to hit the quality level you have come to expect from a HITMAN game. To ensure that level of quality, we made a big decision on how we’re releasing HITMAN. After a lot of consideration, we decided to take the full leap and publish HITMAN as a truly episodic game experience with a major live component. It’s not a decision we’ve taken lightly and we fully acknowledge that the decision may frustrate some players. But it is a shift that we believe will ensure the best possible foundation for this game and the future of HITMAN.

The future of HITMAN
The exciting thing about going episodic is that this format allows us to create a living game that will expand and evolve over time. This initial game release will help us build the foundation for where we want to take HITMAN. The first game is part one of a storyline we see expanding over the release of subsequent games - so we want to make absolutely sure we get things right for what will be a great Hitman experience expanding over the coming years. This first step is going to shape what the games will ultimately become.

As we’ve said before, we want to shape the game with the people playing it and by going down this route we believe we’re creating the best possible base for success. We will be able to respond much faster to feedback, analyse player behaviour and implement changes on a regular basis that simply wasn’t possible before. We’ll be able to craft a long story arc that spans multiple games while at the same time crafting smaller arcs and stories that will find their conclusions within each game. We will get the chance to craft missions and revisit locations in ways that we’ve never been able to do before.

How will this work?
HITMAN will still launch on March 11th and that initial launch will include the Prologue and the Paris location.

The big change is that the next location, set in Italy, will now release in April and then Morocco will release in May. From there we will keep monthly content updates coming, including the three additional locations we have already announced; Thailand, the US and Japan until the season concludes in Japan later in 2016. The weekly live events and additional planned content will give you plenty to do in the time between location releases.

The new Intro Pack, which includes Prologue and Paris will be priced at $15. Each subsequent location can be purchased for $10 as an add-on item after you buy the new Intro Pack. If you buy the Intro Pack and want to get into everything the Full Experience offers, you can also choose to buy the Upgrade Pack for $50. This will give you access to all of the content released after March 11th and guarantees you won’t miss any live or bonus content.

Of course you can still buy the Full Experience which is the complete first season, so all the content this year as it’s released, up front for $60 as always promised. Whether you purchase the complete game or buy each episode individually, we want to remind the community that there will be no micro transactions in HITMAN.

If you prefer to wait we will also ship the complete season on a disc at the end of 2016.

Next steps!
In less than a month, on February 12, the HITMAN beta will arrive first on PlayStation 4 and a week later for PC. We need to make sure our infrastructure and our technology can deliver on our promise with this new game and you playing the beta will be of tremendous help and value for us. You can get guaranteed access to the beta by pre-ordering the Full Experience and, as a new thing, also if you pre-order the new Intro Pack.

We’re also very happy to announce the HITMAN Collector’s Edition that we created based on your feedback and which will be available on March 11th as well. You can read all about what that pack contains on the dedicated Collector's Edition page.

And for all PlayStation users we have the first Contract of the Sarajevo Six: “The Director” will ship exclusively on PS4 when the game launches.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. The last thing we wanted to do is change what we have already said, especially this close to launch, and for that we sincerely apologize. We hope you have a great 2016. We are looking forward to seeing you in the World of Assassination.

https://hitman.com/en-us/news/hitman-new-year-update

Also if you need a tie:

CGffzwJ.jpg

Based on all of your votes, here’s everything that’s packed into the CE:

- HITMAN Digital Game Download (Full Experience)
- 10” Agent 47 "Chessmaster" Statue
- Hardcover 60-page art book, curated by Art Director, Jonathan Rowe
- Agent 47 Iconic red tie and clip set
- Premium Collector's Edition packaging (aka the box)

The HITMAN Collector's Edition will be available for pre-order from the Square Enix Store very soon and will be priced at $139.99 / €139.99 / £109.99 or your regional equivalent.

Pre-ordering the Collector's Edition will guarantee your access to the HITMAN Beta, starting on February 12th for PS4 and then a week later on PC.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's a way for them to keep the retail price of the game high. Usually six months after release the game would have crashed to at least 50% off. Now they can keep charging $10 per episode x 5 or whatever. Although I think Telltale often put their games on sale before all of the episodes were released. Pretty hilarious. It's absurd that a major publisher has to resort to this model.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Too me it looks like SE didn't give them enough funds for a complete game and they ran out of time for even the limited content they wanted to provide at launch, so they had to cut it further and also gain another month of development time by postponing physical distribution to the end of the year and having a digital only release.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom