Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HITMAN, the new episodic Hitman - GOTY Edition

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Disagree, for myself personally at least. This is literally the only time in the history of gaming (I grew up with C64 and Atari 2600, if you want to guess my age) that I am thankful for said release structure. Each level/map would have been approached maybe a couple times at best. I certainly didn't squeeze as much out of previous Hitman games and I would have missed a whole lot that this current game has to offer, and I'm pretty grateful for it. I can understand that not everybody feels this way, but it also makes quite a lot of sense for the format and what seems like the intended approach to the game.

It makes absolutely no sense for this "format", except in your isolated case, where a side-effect of their fucked-up release mechanic just happens to force you to overcome your ADD tendencies.

For most people, the release mechanic removes player choice, and it complicates the idea of trusting reviews (how the fuck do you know if this game is good when 1/10 is available to review?). This is essentially the "early release" scheme that TotalBiscuit bitches about, for a multitude of good reasons.

After a month of inactivity one tends to get rusty, forget mechanics and controls, and be less willing to pick it all up again. The episodic release scheme will actually accomplish the opposite of what was intended. Instead of keeping Hitman "alive", it will kill it. I would be very interested in seeing player retention rates over the course of this "release", by the time the last level is out.

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
The new 47 is more like a James Bond than a contract killer. It all turned into SAVE TEH WORLD missions
The relationship between 47 and Diana has changed, and not just because we don't see him in a hideout anymore bitching about his money. She used to be all-business and never personally invested with the mission because every hit was just another day at the office. The new Diana wants so badly for you to care... she's like a TV news anchor doing everything she can to get you to emotionally connect to the story. She uses overly flowery language and an overly passionate delivery ("THAT... is VICTOR NOVIKOV").

She's trying so hard to sell you on the mission and tell you why these people are bad. It doesn't matter! I don't need to know that IAGO helped Delgado shoot down the president's plane. I certainly don't need to know the client is MI6, what the fuck?!?

Guys even Absolution was more close to originals than HITMAN.
Also new suits are shit

SwiftCrack

Arcane
The new 47 is more like a James Bond than a contract killer. It all turned into SAVE TEH WORLD missions
The relationship between 47 and Diana has changed, and not just because we don't see him in a hideout anymore bitching about his money. She used to be all-business and never personally invested with the mission because every hit was just another day at the office. The new Diana wants so badly for you to care... she's like a TV news anchor doing everything she can to get you to emotionally connect to the story. She uses overly flowery language and an overly passionate delivery ("THAT... is VICTOR NOVIKOV").

She's trying so hard to sell you on the mission and tell you why these people are bad. It doesn't matter! I don't need to know that IAGO helped Delgado shoot down the president's plane. I certainly don't need to know the client is MI6, what the fuck?!?

Guys even Absolution was more close to originals than HITMAN.
Also new suits are shit

Interesting point about Save-the-world versus Just-another-day. Inclined to agree, but like shihonage stated, plot is barely a functioning thing in the Hitman series.

I do miss the hideout setting though, even the weird high tech one from Contracts.

Silent Assassin had the best hideout:whatho:

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
That sucks to hear. A killer, a target; that's what it's supposed to be about, right? He's not a fucking paladin.
At the start of the episode 3, Diana tells you something like "The faith of this country is at your hand". That made me cringe :|

I'm glad you made the game this way. I like it. I like it more than 98% of the members of this website. It suits me well and knowing myself, I never would have tried to squeeze every angle out of each map as I have thus far.

Yeah god forbid they release a full game that is good enough to actually play more than once.
Fuck this is pathetic.

Vibalist

Arcane
I think you guys are being a bit too critical about the whole "saving the world" angle. 47 is still a brutal killer who does whatever he is paid to do and seems to care very little about anything besides the objective. They've managed to return to the 'core' of the character, if you will.

As far as the targets go, targets in Hitman have always been complete and utter scumbags. It's the series' way of making players feel okay about being a contract killer.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
The dance easter egg from BM is back!
972d622b831d13c128add8f1029bdbd684f68129_1_690x388.jpg

SwiftCrack

Arcane
I think you guys are being a bit too critical about the whole "saving the world" angle. 47 is still a brutal killer who does whatever he is paid to do and seems to care very little about anything besides the objective. They've managed to return to the 'core' of the character, if you will.

As far as the targets go, targets in Hitman have always been complete and utter scumbags. It's the series' way of making players feel okay about being a contract killer.

Just played Ep3 today for the first time, honestly it's cringe, but it's not a focal point at all. It's literally the last sentence Diana says to you in the briefing which is why it probably sticks in your mind. The rest is all 'client x wants you to kill these fucks because money' for the rest, like classic Hitman.

Vibalist

Arcane
The level itself is p. good, guys. I didn't like it to begin with because it had an, I don't know, linear feeling to it initially. I'm thinking of one specific mission critical area that only has one entrance. But after completing it two times I can say it's almost as good as Sapienza.

I've said it before, but this game is really awesome when you remove all the circumstances surrounding it.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I just love how everyone is sitting around a pile of scraps picking out the half edible clumps and blowing the dirt off.

You are getting a single episode a month.. where all the "fun" comes from repeating the levels trying to earn each asinine achievement. "Kill him with a wrench hurr hurr"

I bet they spend more money on the fucking youtube advertisements. This series is fucking dead.

Vibalist

Arcane
I just love how everyone is sitting around a pile of scraps picking out the half edible clumps and blowing the dirt off.

You are getting a single episode a month.. where all the "fun" comes from repeating the levels trying to earn each asinine achievement. "Kill him with a wrench hurr hurr"

I bet they spend more money on the fucking youtube advertisements. This series is fucking dead.

Ease up, edgelord. The series is far from dead. So far we've gotten three excellent levels that can easily match the best Blood Money had to offer with an amount of replayability that goes way beyond just killing somebody with a wrench. Going through the levels again and again isn't something you do for the sake of some mechanical achievement, it's actual fun. Sapienza in particular gives you so many ways and strategies to perform your hits that, even a month after buying it, I still return to it. It is the biggest, most detailed, most varied and well realized Hitman level ever released. If that is something that 'kills' the series, then I don't know what the hell keeps it alive.

And no, the various strategies don't boil down to killing someone with a wrench and then afterwards with a knife or something like that. When I say the hits are varied I mean it. You can poison, bomb, drown, garrote, snipe and shoot your targets, impersonate people close to them in order to isolate and kill them, set up elaborate accidents that require a chain of events to be pulled off correctly, use fire alarms and explosives to draw them out of their routines and into lock down zones where you can ambush them... You can even make one of them think their own house is haunted, which will cause them to freak out and open up an opportunity. If you're not gonna buy this anyway, go watch any challenge video on Youtube where someone runs through the various hits. Hitman 2016 is very well crafted.

Is the episodic content and DRM annoying? Yes. The last thing in particular is fucking retarded. But stop being such a dumbfuck with these comments. It's pretty obvious you don't have a clue what you're talking about. I keep thinking back to Absolution and how that game made me think the series was dead, and then when I see this I think it's right back on track, despite the stupidity of the marketing.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/06/01/hitman-marrakesh-review-pc/

Wot I Think: Hitman Episode 3 – Marrakesh

h35.jpg

The trend for Hitman’s [official site] episodic levels to be grow bigger and more populous with each new installment continues unabated with third map Marrakesh, which is frankly just showing off. There’s just no need to emerge from a vast crowd of tourists into a shop populated by hundreds of beautifully-glowing lamps and, from there, into an even larger horde, this time of protesters raging amid coloured smoke. No need whatsoever. Bless ‘em for doing it anyway.

While Marrakesh is clearly more spectacular than previous episode (a ridiculously huge mansion in Sapienza, Italy), somehow it didn’t drop my jaw in the quite the same way. I suspect that’s because Sapienza busted open my expectations after the deflating Hitman: Absolution and the solid but not extraordinary first episode in Paris.

Sapienza was a “holy shit, they’re actually doing this?” moment, as Hitman: Blood Money’s values were not only restored but then made impossibly grandiose too. Now Marrakesh has rolled around, I happily accept that Hitman is really, truly back and it’s not a shock to see how much it does.

h31.jpg

I think also, though, that it doesn’t flow quite as well, despite a heightened scale and startling sights. Sapienza was a pleasantly absurd microcosm unto itself: the rich bastards in that impossible mansion, the guiless tourists wandering around outside, the secret, ‘orrible laboratory down in the basement. It felt like a game, not just a level. Marrakesh feels more like a level, despite ultimately unrealised attempts to become a vast, explosive setpiece

While structurally it breaks down into, essentially, biomes too, it doesn’t feel quite so cohesive as Sapienza. You’ve got crowds of tourists looking at hats and lamps in one quarter, a huge mob of protesters right around the corner, a military base a road away, and then a consulate full of bureaucrats on the other side of town.

h32.jpg

Somehow these all co-exist, each compartmentalised to their own neat spaces rather than collapsing into the total chaos, as the sight of it all suggests would be inevitable. There’s a lurching sensation as I move between each; an abrupt change of gears and environments rather than a natural segue. The promised revolution never happens: the protestors just loop their routines, the soldiers stroll, unflustered, around the streets, the people in the consulate just hang out calmly, despite signs of frantic file-shredding. We’re shown a powder keg, but not a one of these thousands of people living inside it has a match.

The slight sense of disconnect and unreality is reflected in the AI too, which seems to struggle to obey the hierarchy of Marrakesh. The military are in charge of the place, so most NPCs will let them – i.e. an Agent 47 dressed as one of them – go wherever they wish, sometimes with a polite greeting, sometimes with terrified acquiescence. And sometimes with a glaringly cheerful follow-up in the very next line.

h33.jpg

Or they’ll let you barge into their houses without warning, only to react like you just threw a hand grenade at a pensioner if you have the temerity to turn on a power switch connected to a vending machine in a public square.

Or they’ll let any old soldier stride right through all those protesters and on into a heavily-guarded consulate full of VIPs, but if he tries to enter the private club – just a little bar, really – that already has a couple of soldiers in it without an invitation, the bouncer will start shooting. The military runs this town, apart from that one bar.

There’s also this awkward distinction between ‘soldiers’ and ‘elite soldiers’, the latter of which just have an extra flak jacket and won’t let normal soldiers into the military base that, surely, they came from in the first place anyway. As with that damnable bar, the distinction exists to gate the area, to prevent a player from grabbing a soldier suit PDQ then having free run of the place. Understandable, but the way it’s been implemented is distractingly artificial: again, Sapienza had more convincingly flow and a clear internal logic, even if it was gloriously absurd.

h34.jpg

There’s some ugly obstacle work too – an infuriatingly impassable shrub to prevent one from dropping into the military base from an overlooking apartment, and arbitrary decisions about what ledges and rooftops you can drop down from and which ones you can’t because the level is clearly terrified of speedruns but couldn’t find a more elegant riposte. The logic problem is most desperately glaring in one of the assassination puzzles. Look away for the next two paragraphs if you don’t want a solution that is, honestly, pretty hard to miss, to be spoiled.

There’s this dodgy Swedish businessguy you have to kill. He’s a bit like Richard Roper in The Night Manager: all charm and philanthropy on the outside, ruthlessness and greed underneath. One way you can get to him is to dress up as a cameraman accompanying a reporter who’s been granted a rare interview with the guy. He sits underneath a giant fibreglass moose for the interview, because that’s the kind of thing people do in Hitman games. There’s a lever which will make that moose drop and squish him. Job done.

Alternatively, you can shoot the bolts holding it onto the ceiling, at which point it will fall and… nothing. He just sits amidst pieces of shattered moose, chatting away as though half a tonne of artificial deer hadn’t just slammed into his skull at speed. Because the logic says he’s only killed by the moose if you pull that lever. It’s a bug, clearly, and it’ll be fixed. But it reflects the house of cards here; Marrakesh contains so much space and so many people that, as with the soldier and that club, as with the chaos that never comes, the game can’t always keep up.

h36.jpg

OK, spoilers over, as is the griping. There are a few issues and again it doesn’t gast my flabber as Sapienza did, but it’s a vast, technically stunning and flexible possibility space nonetheless. Put Sapienza and the weird unrevolution out of your minds and this is absolutely everything we thought we’d never get from Hitman back in the bad old Absolution days.

In the main ‘story’ mission alone, dozens of options for how to get the job done spin out of exploration and experimentation. There are whole levels of the Consulate I haven’t seen even after two successful runs and one botched one, whole patterns of behaviour and trick kills for the main two targets that I don’t know about yet but have seen hints of.

There are few additional contracts for this map yet, but they’ll come in time, and, importantly, I simply don’t need them yet: it feels as though there’s so much more to be done hunting what’s already there. No, it doesn’t feel as rich as Sapienza or even Paris to some extent, particularly because the military base area feels more rote and we saw something similar in the tutorial map, but God, it’s still a fat, pulsing pinata of exploration and experimentation.

h37.jpg

There is, perhaps, a slight sense that Marrakesh has been rushed – as well as the logic issues, that sense of revolutionary promise unfulfilled and unfortunate route-blocking I mentioned, I suffered from a ton of blurry textures – but it doesn’t feel seriously compromised. Not quite the equal of its noble forebear, no, but it’s the most visually impressive installment yet and, as a package, Hitman’s three episodes so far are already providing more game for the money than anything else recent I care to mention.

We can’t know if Blood Money has lost its crown until the series is done. Realistically I doubt it, because Hitman doesn’t do high concept or comedy as well, but hell, it’s in with a chance. 2016 is a good time to be a hitman.

Hitman Episode Three is out now.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

Ease up, edgelord.... <Proceeds to agree with my points without agreeing>

You basically just said..
"Okay I get it.. it's pretty shitty right now.. but stop edge posting because things are looking better"

Slightly better than absolution - does not a good game make.

I am not edge posting when I say this series is dead.
They obviously have no idea what they are doing and are just throwing shit against the wall seeing what sticks.
The levels are long.. monotonous and linear.

The NPC loops are shit..

"Did you remember that password?"
"Did you.. remember that password yet?"
*looks blissfully forward*

Are the achievements slightly more then "kill with wrench". Obviously - but have you noticed the overlap?

"Kill him with a chandalier.. "
"Kill him with a explosion"
"Kill him dressed as this"
"Kill that extra guy with this thing"

This is just padding out an already skeleton thin game with busy work.

I just wanted a full game like Blood Money where I get varied missions in sandboxes.
Is that so hard?

Vibalist

Arcane
You basically just said..
"Okay I get it.. it's pretty shitty right now.. but stop edge posting because things are looking better"

Is that what I said? Where did I say that?

Slightly better than absolution - does not a good game make.

This game is not slightly better than Absolution, it is miles and miles ahead of it, even if it only has 5 missions so far.

I am not edge posting when I say this series is dead.
They obviously have no idea what they are doing and are just throwing shit against the wall seeing what sticks.
The levels are long.. monotonous and linear.

You're an idiot or a troll. Monotonous and linear? No idea what they're doing? Last month they designed what might be the most non linear, well made level in all the Hitman games.

The NPC loops are shit..

*looks blissfully forward*

Fair enough. This is a fair criticism, but so far it's the only decent one you've made. And I personally don't mind the loops. They make the game more gamey, yes, but they also grant you way more leeway in terms of time. In the old Hitman games everything had to line up pitch perfectly, which tended to get too frustrating.

Are the achievements slightly more then "kill with wrench". Obviously - but have you noticed the overlap?

"Kill him with a chandalier.. "
"Kill him with a explosion"
"Kill him dressed as this"
"Kill that extra guy with this thing"

First of all, the achievements tend to be more varied than that. Second how do these examples overlap? Is it because you kill the target in each one? What the fuck did you expect? Achievements where you exit the level peacefully and leave your marks be?

No, it is not, because the various achievements are different enough that it's fun to attempt each one. Only a small amount of them are simply about wearing a certain disguise while killing a target, or using a specific weapon. Many times there's an added context, like killing the target while he's on stage making a speech by dropping a light rig on him, activating fireworks to lure him outside and then sniping him, using coded language over a phone to make two targets meet each other so you can get them both at the same time, dressing up as someone's psychiatrist so you can meet him in private, taking out both targets with the same sniper rifle, usually from different spots which require finesse and sneaking, and so on (and these are the boring ones). These challenges are varied and difficult to pull off because they require planning and make you do unique sequences of actions that lead to the kill. They're not just "kill this guy with a combat knife".

I just wanted a full game like Blood Money where I get varied missions in sandboxes.
Is that so hard?

No. And they should've released a full game. But they didn't. That doesn't mean that what we have now isn't good, because it is.

Last edited:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

No, it is not, because the various achievements are different enough that it's fun to attempt each one. Only a small amount of them are simply about wearing a certain disguise while killing a target, or using a specific weapon. Many times there's an added context, like killing the target while he's on stage making a speech by dropping a light rig on him, activating fireworks to lure him outside and then sniping him, using coded language over a phone to make two targets meet each other so you can get them both at the same time, dressing up as someone's psychiatrist so you can meet him in private, taking out both targets with the same sniper rifle, usually from different spots which require finesse and sneaking, and so on (and these are the boring ones). These challenges are varied and difficult to pull off because they require planning and make you do unique sequences of actions that lead to the kill. They're not just "kill this guy with a combat knife".

Maybe we just disagree about what makes Hitman fun. I like organically finding different ways to complete missions... AFTER I finished the game.
Playing the same level 30 times to unlock asinine achievements for a month until the next episode comes out is tedium and busy work and not what Hitman was about ever for me.

If you disagree I guess I can't empirically prove you wrong but.. seriously?

This is what you consider high quality?

And yes.. levels are linear.. In the ship you have 3 decks of ship to go through. The Russian mission is the same.. he's in the office on the second floor of the building.
Same with the tropical island.. you go knock him off outside.. kill her upstairs then go downstairs to the lab.

These levels don't feel organic at all. The target is always the farthest point from where you start in the map.
Compare that with the witness protection dude sitting in the couch watching foot ball in Blood Money.. you can literally shoot him in 5 seconds.

You don't though...
The point in Blood Money is to be a Hitman and not get caught.. -not- finding the flamingo at bills house down the street and bludgeoning your target dressed as a clown in the laundry room... That kind of fapping around is what you do when your bored after owning the game for 3 years.. it shouldn't be a core mechanic intended to extend the life of your game because you had no other real content to provide.

I feel like I am taking crazy pills.. Are people actually entertained by this shit?

Again - my opinions but this game is far from good and even farther from a hitman game.
Honest question for you - did you enjoy Thief 4?

Last edited:

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't remember you being this fucking stupid. Are you pretending?

And I don't remember you being this AWESOME! Are you evolving?

jk I really have no idea who the fuck you are, whoops!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom