Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HITMAN, the new episodic Hitman - GOTY Edition

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Did somebody ask this already? Does this mean that the "always online" servers are going to be shut down, proving that this stupid "live experience" thing was a bad idea from the beginning?

If so, how about the possibility of allowing us to keep our damn unlocks and progress in offline mode?

Sentinel

Arcane
No answers have been given about that. I have the game and I kinda hope they shut down the servers. It'd be pretty fucking hilarious to watch as the people that defended Denuvo and this shit always-online crap have a meltdown trying to defend IO after they've been butt-fucked out of the game they paid for.

How does all of this rage pertain to IO and not their then overlords, Square-Enix? I'm sure IO protested against the always online/DRM/episodic bullshit.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No answers have been given about that. I have the game and I kinda hope they shut down the servers. It'd be pretty fucking hilarious to watch as the people that defended Denuvo and this shit always-online crap have a meltdown trying to defend IO after they've been butt-fucked out of the game they paid for.

I think Zombra is referring to the mandatory "full game update" mentioned in the Eurogamer article, which sounds like it might be a removal of the online requirement.

Cadmus

Arcane
How does all of this rage pertain to IO and not their then overlords, Square-Enix? I'm sure IO protested against the always online/DRM/episodic bullshit.
Powertormenz has been vehementl defending it as a brave cool hip move and how thats how the business is done now as shown by their internal research haha

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I bought this game on the xmas bargains, but I haven't played it yet. I finished Blood Lines instead and am waiting for the right mood to play this.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Did the new Hitman sell really poorly? Why is Square trying to offload them?

I heard a rumor that it was the outrages pølse budget that did them in.
Hm, would make sense. Googling implies they only sold around 180k units. At least a few weeks after launch, it's probably a few thousand higher now, but nothing too too high. If they had a high budget it could have led to a big deficit. I wonder if the Episodic nature of the game contributed to the cost of development and total amount of sales.

TC Jr

Scholar
Preaching here but what the fuck were they thinking making it episodic, really think people want to buy a game in parts? Only works for story heavy games.

I still haven't played it due to that.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
All the episodes are out though, and you could see improvements being made throughout the game.

But yes, in the end episodic was not worth it.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Did the new Hitman sell really poorly? Why is Square trying to offload them?

I heard a rumor that it was the outrages pølse budget that did them in.
Hm, would make sense. Googling implies they only sold around 180k units. At least a few weeks after launch, it's probably a few thousand higher now, but nothing too too high. If they had a high budget it could have led to a big deficit. I wonder if the Episodic nature of the game contributed to the cost of development and total amount of sales.
Steamspy puts it at 600k but that's without the episodes.

Perkel

Arcane
Devs: "Hey we are doing best Hitman game"
Square-Enix: "Make it episodic and always only, we are going to be rich !"
devs: "But our last game sold 3mln coppies !"
Square-Enix: "Do as i say !"

... after a while

devs: "our game is best Hitman but is tanking hard in sales !"
Square-Enix: "laallalala i think you need to cut down on working people"
devs: "what ?"
Square-Enix: "you know what ? We need to sell your studio !"
devs: ....

Perkel

Arcane
I think Io would already be dead at this point if Hitman had "tanked hard in sales".
Nobody from SE made any comments about sales being disappointing or sub-par in any way.

Heh. And they are trying to sell IO because sales are so good that they throw money with shovels into fireplaces to warm their houses.

Owners: 647,282 ± 23,462

Absolution:
Owners: 2,996,520 ± 50,335
BloodMoney:
Owners: 1,430,881 ± 34,850

Paul_cz

Arcane
And the saddest thing is, that steamspy figure for Hitman shows 650K, but it counts even people who only bought first episode. So it is not even 650K in full price, it could be 550K in 5 dollar purchases for all we know.

Hitman tanked. Completely. Hence Squeenix getting rid of it. And yes, it is Squeenix's fault for forcing episodic and online bullshit on it.

Perkel

Arcane
And the saddest thing is, that steamspy figure for Hitman shows 650K, but it counts even people who only bought first episode. So it is not even 650K in full price, it could be 550K in 5 dollar purchases for all we know.

Hitman tanked. Completely. Hence Squeenix getting rid of it. And yes, it is Squeenix's fault for forcing episodic and online bullshit on it.

yup. I love hitman but when i saw always only i said "NOPE"

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
And I mighty message did you and others like you send with your wallet, comparing Absolution's sales and user reviews on Steam with those of latest Hitman.

Sentinel

Arcane
It's time for a female 47.

You know it's coming. The annoying fucking girl from Absolution is going to grow into playable female 47 for #representation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom