Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Highlands

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
KingDinosaurGames, being the TRU BROs that they are, pimped out this project in their latest Kickstarter update. It's a TBS/RPG hybrid with a distinct board game feel. It has gorgeous hand drawn graphics that immediately reminds my inner graphics whore of Banner Saga. (Despite what issues you may or may not have with Bannu Saga, you can't deny it's very, very pretty).

The kickstarter URL is here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/439704341/highlands

Kickstarter/Greenlight video:

Let's Play of the Alpha:

They're supposedly pretty far along in development - aiming for a feb. 2015 release, so unpleasant surprise changes to core mecanics are unlikely at this point. It looks like it could be solid entertainment for a couple of days. Give them your precious shekels. Hypnocat compels you!

3a1341d89db90c1c1f56f96a724bd2e7_large.png

kris

Arcane
It has a distinct browser game feel to me. i was turned off immeditely. Video convinced me it wasn't something for me.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The hookedgamers review is pretty positive (8/10) :

So how does it play? Comparing it to Risk might be an oversimplification, to be honest. The idea is very much the same – that is, seizing enemy territory sector by sector, building up your armies and overwhelming your opponent. To keep your territory secure, you have to think strategically, maximizing the scope of your forces and utilizing choke points to ensure no rogue enemies slip through your front. The developers wisely chose to expand upon this formula, however. In addition to seizing territory and fighting to keep it, there is the matter of reorganizing it after enemy occupation, bringing order back to your lands and producing the raw materials to sustain your troops as you do so. Each reclaimed section produces a different resource, such as food to help the healers tend to the wounded or spare parts for mechanics to cobble together upgrades. There are four character classes with distinct abilities, such as leaders, who reassure civilians and build morale, and combatants, who hit things. It’s a fun system. Maybe not the most complex or involving, but it gets the job done.

But it’s a lot of fun, too. It has vision and scope, originality and wit, and it’s fun. Hitting the rare trifecta of beautiful, challenging and innovative, it’s easy enough to slip into the “just one more turn” refrain when you’re inches away from reclaiming a map. For a game from such a small team, this was clearly lovingly crafted, doted upon, and released to us as a surprising little mashup of genres and influences that, overall, works really well. If you’ve ever wanted to send a wide-eyed Disney princess and her siblings into battle against the forces of darkness, miles above the original home of man, you really should give it a spin. I feel like you’re unlikely to quench that specific desire anywhere else.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I gave the game a try. It is a pleasant tactical puzzle, and is very asymmetrical (the AI does not really play the game, and has a different set of rules) :
It has very superficial similarities to risk : armies fighting each other involve your choosing one unit to take the hits each round : damage does not carry over, so it can be interesting to sacrifice a low hitpoint unit to tank hits (for instance, you know the opposing army will inflict 5-20 HP damage (it depends on a dice roll, and the total strength of the army). You can sacrifice a 3 HP piece to take all the damages this round. HP is also the attack power), but it does carry over against the AI (so you can kill 4 units with 5 HP if you roll 20 damage).
5MiIBmq.png

In this exemple above, I will inflict 5-37 damage, and take 3-19. I can try to soak them on my strongest character on the left (16 Strength), for a slight chance of losing, or sacrifice one of the ST 6 recruitable characters (only the ST6 characters are allowed to die in the campaign. Everyone can level up). In this exemple, it is obvioulsy better to sacrifice a minor character, or to save scum, and risk the strongest storyline character.
This element (the battles) is not too puzzly, but the strategic part of the game is :
the AI in a province will stay idle (if there is no opposing province nearby), instead of stacking everything on a single province, or try to attack one of your provice if there is an adjacent one. AI always tries to attack if its total strength (=combined value of the stength_HP of the units in the province) exceeds yours. You chose one order for each of your pieces (attack, defend, fortify, heal, craft., rebuilding eco..), but only the strength of the pieces with a defend order will be counted (AI will attack if its strength exceeds defending strength) and take place in the battle (every piece is wiped out if you lose and they had other orders. Orders are carried simultaneously out at the end of the turn, but you can see what move the AI will perform.
Fortifying allows you to soak the AI attack (if the province is fortified, AND the defending strength is inferior to its attacking strength, damage equal to AI strength is applied to the fortification).
The "static" nature of the AI is what makes it puzzly : If you have a chokepoint close to 3 AI province with 30 strength each, and no troop inside, they will chew the fortifications at 90 strength/turn, but if you put 30 strength of garrison inside, they won't attack at all. Note that if the AI attacks, it will attack with all 3 provinces, resulting in a stack of 90 (which will become very hard to take out), but it will not stack its units otherwise.
SLY6TSu.png

In this exemple : the 37 Strength AI stack in the North will attack my fortifications(red arrow), reducing it from 140 to 103, while my own stack will attack the 37 in the SE. Note that I I had attacked the province with 0 Strength, both 37 stacks would have attacked my fortified province (for 74 damage). Note also that you can still modify orders after seeing the AI actions.
Enemies get reinforcements on each province every few turns, so you have to find a way to juggle your meagre resources to take them out faster than they can pop, witout letting too many provinces get overrun.
The game seems good for what it is : you have to accept its puzzly nature and asymetric nature, but I have not got very far.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom