Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hideo Kojima leaves Konami - Update: Founds his own studio, new game funded by Sony

Damn. That feel when:

- No chance of any new games at all featuring solid snake, not even an interquel between MGS1 and 2.
- No chance of a truly proper remake of MG1/2 or MGS1.
- No real future at all for Metal Gear.

All that's left is Metal Gear Rising 2, probably with no input from Kojima.

Damn men.

I didn't want to feel these feels.

9e6.png

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
That's great news actually. MGS has done its circle and it was obvious Kojima was sick of it. Now this bloated franchise will eventually die and Kojima will have the opportunity to finally do something new.

I would brofist you if I only could. To anyone crying about end of Metal Gear series - what the fuck is wrong with you?! They series will be complete when MGS5 will be released, we know all the story. Solid story is already finished, Big Boss story is like I said before, ended in MGS5 (Actually 4, but well, spoilers!)

Kojima is finally free. Imagine the possibilities of new awesome games from his hands.

Everything ends. Accept it or d... I mean - cry about it.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
I didn't know that companies could remove a dev's name from a project he worked on, it seems a bit weird to me.

A fallout between Kojima Productions and its owning publisher, Konami, has led to senior staff at the studio being restricted access to corporate internet, emails, and phone, GameSpot understands.

Along with the restricted communications, key developers at the studio, such as Hideo Kojima, will now have limited opportunities to lend their appearance to promotions of the studio’s upcoming game, Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain.

This weirds me the fuck out, what does "restricted access to corporate internet, emails and phone" mean, exactly?

Perkel

Arcane
and it is "official" i was right. There was fighting between Kojima upper staff and owners:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/kojima-expected-to-leave-konami-after-mgs5-inside-/1100-6426024/

gamespot source said:
A fallout between Kojima Productions and its owning publisher, Konami, has led to senior staff at the studio being restricted access to corporate internet, emails, and phone, GameSpot understands.

Along with the restricted communications, key developers at the studio, such as Hideo Kojima, will now have limited opportunities to lend their appearance to promotions of the studio’s upcoming game, Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain.

Power struggles between Kojima Productions and Konami have convinced the publisher to make drastic changes, including amending the employee status of its Metal Gear team. Some senior staff at the studio, including Kojima, now essentially work as contractors, not permanent employees.

The extraordinary measures were revealed by a source within Konami, speaking to GameSpot on the condition of anonymity. The person explained that, once the Phantom Pain project is finished, in all likelihood the management at the studio will disband.

"After we finish MGSV, Mr. Kojima and upper management will leave Konami. They said their contract ends in December," the source claimed.

The person added: "At a team meeting, Mr Kojima explained that team have to be one and make a good game for fans."

In other developments, Konami has begun removing the Kojima Productions logo from all official Metal Gear art, and it has removed Kojima from its executive team. Meanwhile, Kojima Productions’ branding has also been removed from Twitter, the official Metal Gear website, and even the LA office listing.

Representatives for Konami would not discuss specifics of the matter when contacted by GameSpot. The corporation has offered a statement, however.

It reads: "Konami Digital Entertainment, including Mr. Kojima, will continue to develop and support Metal Gear products. Please look forward to future announcements."

The corporation's public relations team, based in Tokyo, is unavailable at the time of going to press, due to it being past midnight local time.

Metal Gear Solid 5, Kojima’s latest iteration in the famed series, ships in September on PlayStation 4,PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Xbox One, and PC.

An expanded statement from Konami follows: "As we have already announced, we are shifting our production structure to a headquarters-controlled system, in order to establish a steadfast operating base capable of responding to the rapid market changes that surround our digital entertainment business. Konami Digital Entertainment (including Mr. Kojima), will continue to develop and support Metal Gear products. Please look forward to future announcements."

Nael

Arcane
Great news. Can't wait to see what Kojima does next. I wonder if he does something completely new or uses his vast resources to pick up an interesting IP of some sorts?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
My money is on some sort of gigantic bitter "fuck you" to his fans (whom he despises, by all accounts) or something complete shit now that nobody is around to reign him in, like so many other declined directors. Perhaps an Iphone game.

Cynicism is always the safe bet.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
:nocountryforshitposters:
Kojima isn't one of your run-of-the-mill asshole western devs.

He's a passionate hard-working Japanese who loves his fans. He won't let us down.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I'm glad Kojima is finally sticking it to Konami and going away. Now let's hope he makes another mecha or adventure game. :incline:
Curious to know what'll happen to the Silent Hill game, though. My guess that Del Toro will fuck off as well if Kojima isn't involved.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I still can't get my head around removing the "A Hideo Kojima Game" logo from the games? That is so pathetic, such a shitty move. What purpose does it serve anyway? A revenge? A revenge for what? And those games are Hideo Kojima games, Konami can't just delete it and said it never happened.

I'm not sad at all if Kojima leaves. He made the games he wanted, and as many others have said before me, the MGS saga is finished. Of course Konami still might try to milk the franchse in the future, but it probably won't be the same without Kojima.

Machocruz

Arcane
Snatcher 2: Pounding Your Popamole Gaijin Ass With Chrome Polished Cy-Dick - Cumming Soon From Independent Developer Hideo Kojima!

But Before He Leaves, He Will Show Industry Hacks And The Artfag Press What Real AAA Games Are Supposed To Be Like, In Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain! Coming In September

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
I'm not sad at all if Kojima leaves. He made the games he wanted, and as many others have said before me, the MGS saga is finished. Of course Konami still might try to milk the franchse in the future, but it probably won't be the same without Kojima.

Oh, it's going to be hilarious. Metal Gear games from Konami B and C teams, or farmed out to a potato developer or some such shit

Metal Gear: Absolution

MgS

Metal Gear: Lords of Shadow Moses

Metal Gear: Homecoming.

Metal Gear Arkham: Origins

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
We've already got a B-Team MGS game, it's called Portable Ops. Decent, if a bit clunky, and still canon despite what other fans like to believe.

Two non-canon ones as well: Snake's Revenge and Ghost Babel. Heard the latter is actually pretty good, if you can get over the fact it's a gameboy game.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Isn't Ghost Babel just a straight remake of one of the MSX games?

Edit: apparently it's not, ignore me.

TedNugent

Arcane
I can see why he left. What a bunch of vindictive cunts.

Last edited:
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I still can't get my head around removing the "A Hideo Kojima Game" logo from the games? That is so pathetic, such a shitty move. What purpose does it serve anyway?

Not making them enough money.

Not floating their company harder.

Being generally awesome (while they suck).

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
We've already got a B-Team MGS game, it's called Portable Ops. Decent, if a bit clunky, and still canon despite what other fans like to believe.

Two non-canon ones as well: Snake's Revenge and Ghost Babel. Heard the latter is actually pretty good, if you can get over the fact it's a gameboy game.

Ghost Babel is decent, except for that fucking box puzzle.

Also it's sort of canon. There's a hidden ending that suggests it's all a VR mission played by Raiden when in training.

Who?

Keep in mind, guys, not all of play console games.

Finished Derpsonhored. Game is textbook mediocrity.

ayylmao.rar

I didn't know that companies could remove a dev's name from a project he worked on, it seems a bit weird to me.

This weirds me the fuck out, what does "restricted access to corporate internet, emails and phone" mean, exactly?

I believe it means exactly what it says - they're not in charge anymore so they don't get access to the official means. Probably a gentler way of saying "they're out".

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom