Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hidden Object games

Phelot

Arcane
Are these hidden object games any good? They seem pretty light on the puzzles and focus on finding shit in cluttered areas, which could be fun I guess, but are there also puzzles? They seem to always have really great art, but I was wondering how challenging they are.

Anyone play them?

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
They started off being just 'find the turd among a pile of turds' but have advanced to having puzzles in them, some even quite fiendish. I occasionally torrent them to see if anything's improved, but you feel pretty gay playing them even if the art in them is pretty impressive.

Probably the best I've seen is "Drawn :Dark Flight" and the "Three Cards" series made by Tex Murphy himself: Chris Jones.

Phelot

Arcane
Thanks bro, I'll try those out. I've got a hankering for a light adventure game and these seem to be just that

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
I think they're quite underrated generally as a gaming genre.

All the ones I've played so far have decent graphics, some kind of followable and interesting story, zero bugs, interesting puzzles and a good variety of puzzles, good humour, even within some of the puzzles and the hidden object aspect is usually only a very small part of gameplay, from the ones I've played.

I'll do some screenies at some point.

fabrulana

Augur
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
My wife loves them, I played one or two as well and enjoyed them.
Although fun to play, I don't really get a sense of achievement from them...

Modron

Arcane
The only hidden object puzzle game I've played in the last 2 decades was this:

Purchased it thinking it was a traditional point and click with character on screen, it wasn't. The game was pretty decent for what it was.

Last edited:

ind33d

Educated
Are these hidden object games any good? They seem pretty light on the puzzles and focus on finding shit in cluttered areas, which could be fun I guess, but are there also puzzles? They seem to always have really great art, but I was wondering how challenging they are.

Anyone play them?
Overwatch 2 has a great hidden object minigame where you look for the PVE

axx

Savant
I've played a bunch of these over the years. I dislike more modern ones with all the cheesy "story" elements, animated sequences and minigames. Older HOG-s are more straight to the point with the actual finding of hidden objects. One example - Golden Curse. Anyway there are a gazillion of these on Big Fish games site.
Hidden folks is also ok, it gets repetitive but it's one of those games you can stop an pick up anytime you're in the mood.

axx

Savant
According to a study hidden object games are played almost exclusively by straight cis men.

Modron

Arcane
Fairly certain if I said women make up 95% of the HOG playerbase I would be closer to right than you.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
https://www.polygon.com/features/22...-history-folks-ravenhearst-mystery-case-files

Big Fish game production manager Christine Zeigler confirmed to Polygon that Big Fish’s subscribers skew older than the “hardcore” gaming subset. “Looking back, the audience has matured over the years, with 76% of players over the age of 55,” Zeigler said. “Players have consistently been predominantly female, representing 85% of players.” Big Fish declined to provide exact numbers regarding its player base for hidden object games, but Ziegler said the company continues to release new hidden object games every November.

axx

Savant
You take away those over 55-yr olds and you'll see a predominantly male player base, I guarantee you.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
You take away those over 55-yr olds and you'll see a predominantly male player base, I guarantee you.

yes, if you take away 76% of the playerbase, you might get stuck with 24% that contain some of the 15% of male players

doesn't refute the point that the overall playerbase is 85% female

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom