Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hexen II sourceports

DraQ

Arcane
Fair Codexia!
Hear my call and heed my plea!

What Hexen II sourceports do you know?
Which would you recommend and why?

Discuss!!

Phelot

Arcane
I believe This to be the best.

EDIT: Oh... as to the why? Becuase it's the first one I used and it works :smug:

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I never played HeXen II or Heretic II, are either of them worth playing?

Is HeXen II like HeXen 1? Getting lost in mazes, having trouble finding keys and getting stuck at puzzles?

Rohit_N

Prophet
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I only know of Hammer of Thyrion, but last time I used it, it still wasn't able to change FOV for widescreen resolutions.

Phelot

Arcane
Reconite said:

Is HeXen II like HeXen 1? Getting lost in mazes, having trouble finding keys and getting stuck at puzzles?

As you describe it, then yes 2 is a lot like 1 except it's missing all the action... The game can truly make you feel alone.

Despite this, I still liked it. Don't know why exactly.

Heretic 2 was pretty fun, but it's nothing like the first game. It's more Tomb Raider/Drakan like.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I was absolutely certain I had tried a Hexen 2 port years ago, so I went into my Raven folder and could not find it. It wasn't HoT, it was called... shit I can't remember. Something that made me think it was a Hexen 1 port at first. Erm...

OK never mind, it may come back to me.

AHA! New Hexen. Checked it out a bit and it's been in coma for a few years, so you better stick with HoT. Every page I come across seems to recommend it anyway.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Hexen II wasn't as good as the original, but it had a nice atmosphere, great visuals and the bosses and most of the enemies were pretty cool. Plus, it had destructible environments and body dismemberment before those things were fashionable (that i know of). It was the last Raven game i actually liked. Soldier of Fortune was an ok shooter but ok shooters its pretty much the only thing they were able to do from that point on.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Reconite said:

Hexen II was worse than Hexen, but still worth playing. It has nice levels (at least middle ages hub), underwater combat, light RPG elements and many puzzles. The most memorable was with "key buried where water flowing up", because it has two solutions choosen random and both places makes sence. Also it has very rage inducing ending.
Heretic 2 is OK if you are bored. It looks and feels more like Heretic spin-off than proper Heretic game.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Thanks for the info guys, I guess I should try out both (or at least HeXen II) sometime later.

Coincidentally, I started a replay of HeXen before this thread showed up (despite the memories of my frustrating first playthrough). :thumbsup: Also, I have the Deathknights of the Dark Citadel .wad file (the HeXen expansion, that I've also never played before), is that just "more HeXen" or does it stand out distinctively?

Will probably go for HeXen II after, if nothing else comes up.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Reconite said:
Also, I have the Deathknights of the Dark Citadel .wad file (the HeXen expansion, that I've also never played before), is that just "more HeXen" or does it stand out distinctively?
Will probably go for HeXen II after, if nothing else comes up.
Similar to "Shadow of the Serpent Riders", what was "more Heretic", it is "more Hexen". Afair it don't add anything in the item or monster department. It is simply 15 or 20 levels with regurgitated puzzles. Still worth one walkthrough.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Dicksmoker said:
Steam is selling this bundle. Thinking of getting it.
Get proper versions with deice.exe and shit (original installer). 10$ for mutilated games slapped with DRM? Thanks, I will pass.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Dicksmoker said:
How do you know what versions those are?
Because no way something selling in 2010 will have DOS installers, runned by batch file. Look at GoG's versions.
Instead you may find original versions and treasure it forever like me. God bless our pirates. :M

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Dunno, this is maybe because deice's screen brings back so many memories when I fruitless tried run Wolf 3D on my 286 with B&W EGA (yes, it was our russian aberration) monitor. And later when I buyed VGA - oh god, it was heavan.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Lyric Suite said:
Don't. Both Hexen games used CD audio tracks which are not included in the steam version.
Indeed. I always forget what CD version of Hexen have CDA, was too used to floppy version. Must remember this on the another walkthrough.

Phelot

Arcane
Dicksmoker said:
Steam is selling this bundle. Thinking of getting it.

This also appears to be missing Portal of Praevus expansion for Hexen 2 which IMHO is better then the game it's an expansion of!

ElectricOtter

Reconite said:

HeXen II has worse enemies and more puzzles. I don't like it as much as the first game, but it's fun.

DraQ

Arcane
ElectricOtter said:
Reconite said:

HeXen II has worse enemies and more puzzles. I don't like it as much as the first game, but it's fun.
And better puzzles. It generally has more RPG trappings and adventure elements than the prequel. Also, feels more serious and matured.

And arguably looks worse as it replaces pretty much perfected 2.5D graphics with very primitive and blocky 3D one. Locations similar to the swamps from H1 would be plain impossible to make in H2.

Also, thanks for the HoT recommendations, up and running, although I don't think I've seen any other ports. A shame, Hexen II in Tenebrae engine could be pretty cool.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Reconite said:
Coincidentally, I started a replay of HeXen before this thread showed up (despite the memories of my frustrating first playthrough).
So I finished my replay of HeXen, forgot how hard it got near the end (especially with the Masters in their tombs, I just used the Banishment Device bug to get past them). Last boss was ok because I had a couple of Icons of the Defender and a bunch of Dragonskin Bracers so I had some pretty baws Armor Class.

Then I started up Deathkings of the Dark Citadel and got the shit royally beaten out of me as a Cleric (is this the Plutonia Experiment of HeXen? Huge difficulty rise). Bloody swamp-monsters, serpents, slaughtaurs everywhere, contemplating on whether I should skip it or not or just tone it down to a lower difficulty (tried on medium, which is what I usually play on in these old FPS games, any lower makes me feel like I didn't accomplish anything). I can't ever imagine playing through HeXen or Deathkings as a Mage.

So; Deathkings or HeXen II?

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Reconite said:
Then I started up Deathkings of the Dark Citadel and got the shit royally beaten out of me as a Cleric (is this the Plutonia Experiment of HeXen? Huge difficulty rise).
Yes, it's more difficult.
Reconite said:
So; Deathkings or HeXen II?
Try Deathkings some more. Or you may return to it after Hexen 2.
Also I always play as Mage and finished both Hexen and Deathkings on Warlock. It's not really hard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom