Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Herve Caen finally packs it in - Interplay IPs to be sold off

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I would like an Earthworm Jim 4.

Darkzone

Arcane
After 20 years this all is worthless. Besides:

So Dragon Wars is up for sale too? That way Burger Becky can get rid of the stupid Dragons of the Rip title.
Agree. Heineman can buy it and make a legit Dragon Wars 2.

Interplay have the IP rights to Cauldron and Barbarian and still think they can make money out of them? That's the long game right there.
I would buy the Barbarian IP for 100 euros, just to call myself the owner of Barbarian. (But i thought it belonged to Epyx or Palace Software) Hey i would even make a sequel: Barbarian III with decapitation and more Bikini Girls.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
*reads Interplay's IP catalog*

Star Trek, Descent and Earthworm Jim are a guaranteed sale in the "Premier League", even though the Star Trek thing is probably just a partial rights thing. Surely someone is hoarding all the Star Trek rights and IP into one place...right?

The Major League is a different kettle of fish. Prehistorik, Titus the Fox and (hopefully) Stonekeep have potential, but all the other titles are a bust. If Mastertronic could release a title called Barbarian alongside the Barbarian title in Interplay's catalog, there's no reason to even try flogging it off.

Challenger League is just LOL, though Cauldron has potential to be made into...something in today's gaming environment. One exception though is Toonstruck, which I recall was being considered for a sequel back when it was released on GOG. Maybe this will help speed that up...or maybe Christopher Lloyd will snap it up just to keep it out of other people's hands.

But the big fish here is Earthworm Jim, but it'll be interesting to see who'll try to snap up some desicated relic and try to make a buck on it.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I highly doubt they own the rights to MAKE any new Star Trek games, but I assume you could buy the rights to the Star Trek games they did Publish. Same with Dark Alliance™. You COULD do a new Dark Alliance game, but you would have to craft an entirely new IP and ruleset, or negotiate with Hasbro/WoTC for an actual D&D game.

Last edited:

Santander02

Arcane
Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
So Dragon Wars is up for sale too? That way Burger Becky can get rid of the stupid Dragons of the Rip title.

Admittedly, she'd need money to do that and according to her statement in the general gaming thread that doesn't seem to be the case. Though who knows, Dragon Wars is in the lowest tier of Interplay's IP's, so it should be among the cheapest too.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera

Admittedly, he'd need money to do that and according to his statement in the general gaming thread that doesn't seem to be the case. Though who knows, Dragon Wars is in the lowest tier of Interplay's IP's, so it should be among the cheapest too.

Corrected.

A user named cat

Vault Dweller should snatch up Lionheart. Redo the entire Barcelona opening area in new engine, forget rest of shit game and fill in the blanks with turn-based goodness in that setting. So much wasted potential.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Somebody quoted what Heineman said on Facebook about buying the Dragon Wars IP. It's in some thread somewhere, that's all I remember.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
What has Herve been up to, anyway? Let's find out: https://www.linkedin.com/in/hervé-caen-8a2721a

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAKjAAAAJGQwMWM5ZjM1LTYxZGYtNGQ3Ni04ZGQ2LTQ0NWE1ZDM2YWU4Nw.jpg

Co Founder
Company Pasta
December 2014 – Present (1 year 10 months)Greater Los Angeles Area

Company Pasta is a creator and developer of culinary concepts. We strive to provide smart and affordable food for diners of all ages. Our first business launched in 2016 – Z Pastabar

:salute: He's found his inner Frenchman. This is how things should be.
I always thought of Herve as a good, honest, balanced and intelligent man, standing with both feets on the ground. This is the proof I needed. :salute:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Admittedly, she'd need money to do that and according to her statement in the general gaming thread that doesn't seem to be the case.

Wait, what?

Found it:

https://www.facebook.com/burgerbecky/posts/10154032229062637

Robert Seidelman Would you be buying back some of your IPs?

Rebecca Heineman If I had money.

---

Charles Battersby Battle Chess, eh?

Rebecca Heineman Yep. And they owe us money. This is going to be interesting.

---

Christopher Robert Adams I mostly wish the folks who created the ip's would get them or at least get money owed but I realize I'm probably more than a bit naive to think that. Maybe a company like THQNordic? They seem to be doing a good job updating ip's like Titan Quest.

Rebecca Heineman In that case, all rights to some of those ips should come to me. They do owe me a lot of money.

Well, Dragon Wars?

Unwanted

Illuvatard

Unwanted
Burger Bill should see if he can get a lien on the assets in question or a court order to block the entire IP liquidation since money is still owed. You can't force people to pay you money but there's a lot of ways to fuck with them if they try not to. And this is the perfect time to strike.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Burger Bill should see if he can get a lien on the assets in question or a court order to block the entire IP liquidation since money is still owed.
How's that possible? They're selling those IPs precisely to settle debts, and then get out of business or whatever.

Unwanted

Illuvatard

Unwanted
How's that possible? They're selling those IPs precisely to settle debts, and then get out of business or whatever.

I am not 100% sure you can put a lien on an IP, but you can put a lien on property easily if you did any work to improve it and money is owed. At that point if they try to sell it then they either have to settle the lien first or else agree to pay off the lien from the proceeds. I suspect it's possible but probably has extra requirements.

You can also get an order to stop the sale/bankruptcy easily if they owe you money. Then they have to either pay you off out of hand (very likely if the amount is not huge) or else give you a certain amount of time to gather documents and present your case to the judge so that you can ensure you actually get a settlement.

Since they no doubt want to GTFO and sell everything as soon as possible then if the money owed is enough there is even a good chance that 'she' could get the Dragon Wars IP as part of the settlement. Especially since it's probably not worth much of anything.

If you just let them sell off the property then you can kiss that money goodbye. You definitely need to stake your claim and get in touch with the judge who is handling the bankruptcy if you ever want to get your money back.

Fairfax

Arcane
Wonder if Fargo and Obsidian are considering any of these.

The Lionheart franchise might offer a good compromise solution for Sawyer's historical RPG project.
People love to trash it, but Lionheart had a more interesting setting than any of the Kickstarter RPGs. +M

I will buy him the Descent IP so that he can make Descent to Undermountain 2.

--EDIT--
The "major league" titles are really sad. Fire & Forget? Solitaire Deluxe? It's pretty sad the games that Conquest of the New World, Toonstruck, and Dragon Wars get slotted beneath. I guess Shogo is in the lower league because they don't actually own the IP.
Descent to Undermountain isn't trash either!
A Descent to Undermountain 2 would actually have a lot of potential.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom