Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Heroine's Quest Updated to v1.2.1, Crystal Shard Launching Patreon Campaign

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Crystal Shard; Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok; Patreon

Heroine's Quest is a high-quality freeware Quest for Glory-like adventure/RPG hybrid that even made it on the Codex Top 70 RPG list as well as got a pretty favorable review from us.

The game just got updated to v1.2.1 on IndieDB and, I assume, on Steam too. (You can find the changelist on the IndieDB page.) In response to the people who were complaining about the game being freeware, Crystal Shard's Pieter Simoons has also set up a donation page on Patreon allowing you to become a patron by donating a monthly sum of your choice.

Dear fans,

For over a decade, Crystal Shard has created freeware adventure games (e.g. A Tale of Two Kingdoms), action puzzle games (such as SubTerra) and most famously the adventure RPG Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok. These games are completely free; they are a labor of love that we enjoy sharing with the world, and to us they're literally priceless.

Since the release of HQ:THoR, many people have said that they would happily donate money to support us in creating more quality games like this. Therefore, I've started this Patreon campaign for our fans. This is a system that allows you to help the creators you love (such as us!) by donating a small amount of money per month; you'll be a Patron of the Arts. It's up to you how much, and you can cancel at any time; this is to support us in creating more quality computer games. In return, we will give nice rewards to our patrons, such as monthly online design sessions, beta access, or even your own cameo in a future game.​

Also, if there's enough interest, Crystal Shard might do a sequel to Heroine's Quest:

For now, we're working on a non-adventure game, just to do something different (a sequel to Indiana Rodent and the Lost Cheese, which was released as part of the first AGS Bake Sale). I'm also currently looking at graphics for some other games, and if there's enough interest, we may do a sequel for Heroine's Quest in the future as well. Regarding Beer! - that game was released with the second AGS Bakesale, so most people will unfortunately miss out on it for now, but I am sure we will be allowed to release it again eventually.

As to what the mystery RPG on the Patreon page is - I don't know what it will be yet either. It's very mysterious!​

Just like on Kickstarter and similar services, there are different donation/reward tiers on Patreon. Learn more about them here.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm not crazy for monthly payments, but this is a good time as any to throw some dosh at them. I did love their work on HQ.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
This guy and the rest of the crystal shard artists, deserve support. A Tale Of Two Kingdoms was one of the best adventure games ever. Excellent writing, multiple solutions to quests, many optional actions/quests, all and all one of the best designed adventure games. And of course Heroine's quest, which took the same basic principles and added RPG mechanics, becoming a QFG clone that stands toe to toe with the best QFG has to offer, hell, becoming on the best cRPGs that have been released for a long time now. Add to that beautiful 2D graphics, excellent music and surprisingly good VO for HQ and of course the fact that they released both games for free and you have the deal of the century.

They should also add a paypal donation option in their site, because it will be more appealing to many people instead of Patreon.

Fizzii

Crystal Shard
Developer
Thanks for your support guys! :)

We did have a Paypal button but donations through it have been very small. Plus, we thought it might be nice to share various bits on what we're doing as well as insights into game development and design, for those who are interested in hearing more on that sort of stuff. It does mean we'll have to follow through with what's promised anyway :)

Thanks for your support guys! :)

We did have a Paypal button but donations through it have been very small. Plus, we thought it might be nice to share various bits on what we're doing as well as insights into game development and design, for those who are interested in hearing more on that sort of stuff. It does mean we'll have to follow through with what's promised anyway :)
Ooooh, once I'll receive my salary for this month, I'll definitely donate, really enjoyed Heroine's Quest. Keep up the good work guys! :love:

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fizzii
Finally got around to getting this made... hope you like it. I enjoyed getting it made and it looks great next to all my other classic games...:love: Thanks for sending me the files.

100_6700 (600x800).jpg
100_6714 (600x800).jpg
100_6707 (800x600).jpg

Fizzii

Crystal Shard
Developer
Oops, just noticed this. Looks great, and I'll make sure the rest of the team gets to see! :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom