Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Heroes of the Storm

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Last hitting

It only "exacerbates conflict" if you don't understand your role in a game. Unless you're supposed to be farming, you shouldn't be last-hitting. There's plenty for a support to do other than sitting in lane, if it's not needed, and plenty of opportunities to farm by stacking / pulling.

This shit about not "encouraging team play" is how I imagine Dota must look like when you don't understand shit about the game.

flushfire

Augur
Unless you're supposed to be farming, you shouldn't be last-hitting.
You must suck more than I do if you think a babysitting support has to give the carry every single creep.
This shit about not "encouraging team play" is how I imagine Dota must look like when you don't understand shit about the game.
Oh please. As if no changes have been made to the game with player behavior in mind.

Last edited:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Playing support absolutely sucks donkey dick in LoL, Hon and Dota, while in HEROES, it's actually fun, rewarding and you make differences..

Instead of just: PULL CREEEPS:: DONT TAKE MY FARM.. HEALL OMGG.. u have no itamzz.. bad support! and little kids screaming in your ear, because they didnt get ultra farm, and blame the support.. sigh.

abija

Prophet
You must suck more than I do if you think a babysitting support has to give the carry every single creep.
No, he should make sure nothing disturbs the carry or messes with creep balance. That's the point of a babysitter, not to steal creeps or dance them around whenever he tries to zone enemies because he has no clue about game mechanics.

Ahhh yes. That old fallacy. If I dislike something or voice concern, I must be bad at it.. right? Yeah, so logical.

You assume I was bad at Dota and HoN without knowing anything... so.. actually no, I am/was a pretty decent dota/HoN player. I know how to last-hit, and I know how to play with all the mechanics of those types of mobas. The thing is, it's still shitty and boring gameplay. Adding "complexity" just for the sake of it, doesn't do any good. And while something like last-hitting might seem complex, it really just is an unnecessary mini-game that holds back the games true self. The illusion of "depth" is what I call things like LoL and Dota.

I assume you were bad at dota and hon from your posts. And you keep delivering more and more shit tier knowledge.
The true self of dota is an objective based game, not a dumb deathmatch. Hence why metro was 100% correct with moba game for non moba players.

And by the way, just because a game is more simplified, doesn't mean its any less deep or complex at levels where it matters.
The schyzophrenic power levels heroes have in dota and the timings generated are more complex than lol and hots put together. Also a big reason why talents aren't quite on the same level with items as far as depth is concerned.

Hearthstone is more simple than magic the gathering, yes.. But it still has tons of complexity and depth.
This comparison completely counters your argument, FYI.

Like I said, I know a lot of dota and hon players, that feel the same way I do. Heroes just has that new edge, that freshness, fun.. call it what you want. And it definitely still has depth and complexity, just in another fashion than people are used to from other games. Which is why you probably shouldn't even compare them in the first place.
Like I said majority of dota players are shit tier material and Blizzard targeted them. Most of the changes are made for players that don't understand mechanics and objectives in dota and they get angry for stupid reasons like a carry stealing farm/xp/kills.

Luckra

Educated
In HotS, the removal of most of the core mechanics of MOB/ARTS/whatever, the level being the same for the whole team and the flashy objectives on the map forces the players to act and think as a team. In DotA, the players have to understand the game, the mechanics, the heroes, the action... to actually play as a team otherwise you get:

No, he should make sure nothing disturbs the carry or messes with creep balance. That's the point of a babysitter, not to steal creeps or dance them around whenever he tries to zone enemies because he has no clue about game mechanics..
Indeed, the only time a support can last hit is when he is alone on the lane/jungle or that the carry has absolutely no chance to get the last hit (shopping/regen/getting harassed which shouldn't happen with you on the lane) and even then it implies a minimum of communication. The perfect lane support should harass the enemy so the carry can free farm, stack and pull the camps, deny, hit once a ranged creep when close to the tower for easy last-hitting, ...

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
No, he should make sure nothing disturbs the carry or messes with creep balance. That's the point of a babysitter, not to steal creeps or dance them around whenever he tries to zone enemies because he has no clue about game mechanics.

Ahhh yes. That old fallacy. If I dislike something or voice concern, I must be bad at it.. right? Yeah, so logical.

You assume I was bad at Dota and HoN without knowing anything... so.. actually no, I am/was a pretty decent dota/HoN player. I know how to last-hit, and I know how to play with all the mechanics of those types of mobas. The thing is, it's still shitty and boring gameplay. Adding "complexity" just for the sake of it, doesn't do any good. And while something like last-hitting might seem complex, it really just is an unnecessary mini-game that holds back the games true self. The illusion of "depth" is what I call things like LoL and Dota.

I assume you were bad at dota and hon from your posts. And you keep delivering more and more shit tier knowledge.
The true self of dota is an objective based game, not a dumb deathmatch. Hence why metro was 100% correct with moba game for non moba players.

And by the way, just because a game is more simplified, doesn't mean its any less deep or complex at levels where it matters.
The schyzophrenic power levels heroes have in dota and the timings generated are more complex than lol and hots put together. Also a big reason why talents aren't quite on the same level with items as far as depth is concerned.

Hearthstone is more simple than magic the gathering, yes.. But it still has tons of complexity and depth.
This comparison completely counters your argument, FYI.

Like I said, I know a lot of dota and hon players, that feel the same way I do. Heroes just has that new edge, that freshness, fun.. call it what you want. And it definitely still has depth and complexity, just in another fashion than people are used to from other games. Which is why you probably shouldn't even compare them in the first place.
Like I said majority of dota players are shit tier material and Blizzard targeted them. Most of the changes are made for players that don't understand mechanics and objectives in dota and they get angry for stupid reasons like a carry stealing farm/xp/kills.

And who the fuck are you ? The master of all mobas? To teach us something? you speak like you were the one winning pro tournaments in all of those mobas.. you weren't. I bet you don't play many mobas, let alone be very good at em. So you come here, and try to pass off some old-fashioned mechanics as "muh complexity" while it is, in fact, just retarded shit going on.

The true self of dota is objective based? And what the fuck is heroes of the storm then? Have you ever played 1 match? It's HEAVILY objective based, and even on different maps, which is exactly why it has more depht and strategic knowledge than your avg dumb dota game. Hero teamfights are just a icing on the cake, and tactic involvements for winning teamfights by taking or defending objectives carefully.

You are quite delusional.

The majority of moba players don't understand moba mechanics? Oh okay then... OR MAYBE: we understand them perfectly fine, but we think tare FUCKING boring, uninspiring and gives a fake illusion of "depth" and "skill".

Listen son, I don't understand why you think that decent moba players like heroes better than dota, because they dont understand the game. That's possible one of the most ignorant arguments I've ever read in a moba debate.
They are different games, very different. And I'm saying, I like the heroes style over the dota style, for matters I've explained to you countless times now. It doesn't mean I don't understand "mechanics" of either game, or I'm not good at either.

I JUST PREFER one over the other. Deal with it brah. Obviously, you have trouble accepting the fact, that many moba players are now converging on the better game (heroes). You have to linger in a HEROES of the storm thread, and post your bullshit arguments and stuff... you sound butthurt tbh :(

flushfire

Augur
Indeed, the only time a support can last hit is when he is alone on the lane/jungle or that the carry has absolutely no chance to get the last hit (shopping/regen/getting harassed which shouldn't happen with you on the lane) and even then it implies a minimum of communication. The perfect lane support should harass the enemy so the carry can free farm, stack and pull the camps, deny, hit once a ranged creep when close to the tower for easy last-hitting, ...
And a situation where the support legitimately needs some last hits from the lane never happens? What if you bought wards & the courier because no one else wants to buy either? What if the pull camp is warded? I guess even those people that edit the gamepedia and liquipedia entries on creep control and support strategy don't understand game mechanics as well.

Fart Master

Savant
Playing support absolutely sucks donkey dick in LoL, Hon and Dota, while in HEROES, it's actually fun, rewarding and you make differences..

Instead of just: PULL CREEEPS:: DONT TAKE MY FARM.. HEALL OMGG.. u have no itamzz.. bad support! and little kids screaming in your ear, because they didnt get ultra farm, and blame the support.. sigh.

no wonder you love this, you're clueless or absolute fucking garbage (i'm talking third worlders who cant read playing with trackball mice and PCs from 98-tier) at dota/whatever. a moba where a skilled support player even with ZERO farm allocated to him cant make a huge difference in the outcome doesnt exist

regards, someone who has spent 1000+ hours on dota, 3000~ on dota2, 2200 games in HoN, odd 500 hours in LoL, tried Monday Night Combat and SMITE.

this game was made for people like you who think its others fault that you suck shit at the game. dumb hugbox everyone wins shit with mechanics more shallow than Dragonball Z Brazil Custom Hero Arena from WC3.

It may be a fun casual game just like those shitty custom maps were fun for a while but dont come in here and pretend that the game is deep or challenging.

Dont forget to buy some skins for 19.99$!

Last edited:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

no wonder you love this, you're clueless or absolute fucking garbage (i'm talking third worlders who cant read playing with trackball mice and PCs from 98-tier) at dota/whatever. a moba where a skilled support player even with ZERO farm allocated to him cant make a huge difference in the outcome doesnt exist

regards, someone who has spent 1000+ hours on dota, 3000~ on dota2, 2200 games in HoN, odd 500 hours in LoL, tried Monday Night Combat and SMITE.

this game was made for people like you who think its others fault that you suck shit at the game. dumb hugbox everyone wins shit with mechanics more shallow than Dragonball Z Brazil Custom Hero Arena from WC3.

It may be a fun casual game just like those shitty custom maps were fun for a while but dont come in here and pretend that the game is deep or challenging.

Dont forget to buy some skins for 19.99$!

Thanks for your input!

Now fuck off and die of aids in combination with the worst kind of cancer there exists.

Peace, love and empathy.

Fart Master

Savant
nice of you to fit in time to write such a heartfelt reply between sessions of drooling on your keyboard and trying to figure out which button is the stun

Ninjerk

Arcane
nice of you to fit in time to write such a heartfelt reply between sessions of drooling on your keyboard and trying to figure out which button is the stun
probably squeezed in a post somewhere about how MM is such bullshit and he's always getting paired with feeders. he bought wards and supported after all!

abija

Prophet
Wow, sure looks like HotS changes attract more considerate players looking for teamplay.

Ninjerk

Arcane
FWIW, I'm not good at DotA. The difference is that I know it and don't try to blame everything/everyone else and I certainly don't feel bad about myself because of it.

Luckra

Educated
And a situation where the support legitimately needs some last hits from the lane never happens? What if you bought wards & the courier because no one else wants to buy either? What if the pull camp is warded? I guess even those people that edit the gamepedia and liquipedia entries on creep control and support strategy don't understand game mechanics as well.
I guess the issue is your definition of what a support is in DotA because it obviously is at least partially incorrect. To be fair the game never explains what it is and just slaps "roles" on heroes (Support, Durable, Carry). The only thing you have to learn in HotS is the heroes and abilities and the maps, there are no hidden mechanics, items and combination of everything else like in other games in the genre. And it's fine, that's what they are aiming at.

Fart Master

Savant
At least Blizzard heroes are kewl-0r than DOTA ones. WTB Hogger.
i dont know what went through their heads when they decided to use the D3 female barb over the D2 one. Do these idiots even into marketing?

Ninjerk

Arcane
I guess the issue is your definition of what a support is in DotA because it obviously is at least partially incorrect. To be fair the game never explains what it is and just slaps "roles" on heroes (Support, Durable, Carry). The only thing you have to learn in HotS is the heroes and abilities and the maps, there are no hidden mechanics, items and combination of everything else like in other games in the genre. And it's fine, that's what they are aiming at.
Let's be real here, there probably aren't a bevy of competitive players running around the RPGCodex so you're bound to be doing something that your role says you absolutely don't do (e.g. your support sucks dick, chick is still running, and you can't see your own Radiant jungle you should probably just spend the gold to make sure you can get items in a timely manner and you can see people running into your jungle if they aren't smoked)

Luckra

Educated
I guess the issue is your definition of what a support is in DotA because it obviously is at least partially incorrect.
I'm sorry then, that when two dota 2 wikis, along with the most comprehensive guide I have read on the matter say otherwise, I would rather believe that what I'm saying is not totally unreasonable like you claim.
The definitive guide is indeed "The art of support" and nothing in there says you have to take last hits from your carry (cores are usually the 3 farming heroes of your team). You don't get more experience when last hitting either so the only reason you would do that is indeed finishing a crucial item like mek but even then every last hit counts on the carry of the team especially if he is alone. And like the guide says it's something you should always ask before.
The reasoning is that the amount of gold you have in a game is finite and your carry needs all the gold he can get to effectively carry your team. As a support you don't as you will build and buy cheap support items (mekansm being the most expensive at 2k I think). Also bearing in mind that since version 6.80 or something (don't remember exactly) every player gets 100 gold a minute so if you don't have to build mek or "expensive" support items you have the income to buy every ward and stuff all the time.

Anyway, DotA never tells you anything, DotA never explains anything and you still discover things after thousands of hours because of that inner complexity. Back to HotS.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom