Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Heroes of the Storm

KK1001

Arbiter
10 years ago Blizzard would have had the balls to try to compete with LoL and Dota 2. But this really is a side project for them. I guess they never thought LoL and Dota 2 would take off like they have, and they scrambled to catch up. However, Heroes of the Storm is small beans for them. The development costs are tiny. Overwatch, with its inevitable plethora of hats and microtransactions, will make them money.

It's sad that they've lost that innovative (really, iterative) spark that made them great in the late 90s and early 2000s. The real talent left after the release of vanilla or TBC. Diablo 3 was a travesty of a game. SC2 is a simulucram of Brood War. It looks and feels competitive, but it isn't any fun to watch and really not that fun to play either. WoW has steadily become more and more casual. Everyone gets whatever they want so long as they log in.

abija

Prophet
Directly competing with LoL and Dota 2 is even harder than trying to kill WoW and that didn't work quite well. Balls has nothing to do with it, you need Brenner level of retardation to think it's doable.
They needed a niche and since going more hardcore than dota is not an option for Blizzard they had to "out-cazualize" LoL.

KK1001

Arbiter
It's a smart business decision, I just think Blizzard of old would have jumped on the bandwagon much faster. Obviously competing against those two now is stupid, but 4 or 5 years ago would have been a different story.

This game is the very definition of toothless. I was randomly browsing Twitch channels the other day and I found out that Grubby (who was a badass Warcraft 3 Orc player) is playing HoTS 24/7 and probably making way more money than he used to back when he kicked ass in a real game. What a way to go.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I played 2500 hours of Dota, around 800 or so in League, and I have logged maybe 100 in HOTS.

It's pretty much worse in every category. The only advantage it has is that each individual game doesn't really require much focus. In Dota 2 and probably to a lesser extent League, your individual skill will, over enough games, determine what sort of other players you play with. As such, you need to focus. Especially in Dota 2, you have so much to do: ward, pull camps, deny, harass, rotate around the map, smoke gank, build items according to enemy composition, position yourself properly. In HOTS you have way less to do. Every hero has some variation of heal, stun, gap closer/escape, shield, and some sort of AOE or single target ultimate. Each map is played exactly the same: get objectives, team fight.

Dota 2 is clearly the best and only MOBA worth playing (I've recently retired after hitting 5.5k mmr). If you want a serious time sink, go play Dota 2.

The game has no future in the pro scene simply because the skill differential is inherently limited by the mechanics of the game. The difference between an okay player and a pro player is enourmous in Dota 2, and big in League - to a lesser extent, of course - as well.

I commend Blizzard for turning a pet project into a game that'll make some money, but it really does deserve that 6.5 rating.

What a retarded beyond belief post. You stupid dota 2 fanboy. Get the fuck out this thread. The DOTA 2 thread is THAT way -->>

KK1001

Arbiter
Just my opinion, man. HOTS stripped away a lot of mechanics and, as a result, it objectively has a lower skill ceiling than its competitors. If that's okay with you, go ahead and play it. It's a casual game meant for casual players.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
Just my opinion, man. HOTS stripped away a lot of mechanics and, as a result, it objectively has a lower skill ceiling than its competitors. If that's okay with you, go ahead and play it. It's a casual game meant for casual players.

It has even lower skill ceiling than LoL? How is that even possible.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

To low IQ people like you, yes, it might seen lower skill ceiling. But it isn't.

It's not a casual game, it can be just as competitive and hardcore as others. It's gonna be a big E-sport. It already is.

Yes it stripped away lots of BORING and uncessisary mechanics, that's true. Only for the better.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Does dota or LoL have:

- Shared XP?

- Multiple maps with cool and different map objectives?

- Cool and balanced talent system?

- Better graphics than HOTS?

- 2 ultimates hero skills?

- 20 minute games?

- Fast-action paced and very fun gameplay from the get-go minute 1?

No? Yeah didn't think so. Because all those things are new, and what makes HOTS better than dota and lol.

HOTS just cut out the boring shit mechanics that nobody wants anyway and gave us a more fun and fast game

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
HOTS just cut out the boring shit mechanics that nobody wants anyway and gave us a more fun and fast game
who are 'us'?
beginner computer game players with the attention span of babies?

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
- Multiple maps with cool and different map objectives?
Well yeah. Lol has other maps than the classic one and during some holidays and whatnot, they temporarily add other maps or modes. And Valve is adding an SDK that's going to allow people to make completely new custom maps and modes for Dota2.

- Shared XP?
What exactly is the benefit of it? It makes it impossible for you to get fed and then snowball through noobs like a hot knife through butter. No matter how good you are, this will never happen. Is it your idea of the game being more competitive where your personal effort counts for less?
You'll retort that it's a team play game. Well then we could go further and share health pools for everyone. And any game that doesn't share health pools is just shit, then.

- Cool and balanced talent system?
You customize your champs with gear, the idea being the same. The gear system offers more flexibility, such as you can build a mage into a tank if you want. Can't do it in hots.

As for "cool and balanced"...
The talent system is pretty interesting for sure. I don't know what balance has to do with it though. If anything, I think hots requires a serious rebalancing, because some characters are unplayable in ranked (hello nova).

- Better graphics than HOTS?
Hots has better graphics than dota for sure. But lol uses a different style, can't really compare the two.

- 2 ultimates hero skills?
A good idea. To counter that, Lol has 2 additional abilities (flash/ignite/teleport/etc) and lol/dota2 have gear that gives you even more abilities, so in that regard I'm not sure hots offers more.

- 20 minute games?
Dota2 definitely sucks in this regard. In LoL, some games are 20 minutes. But yeah...

- Fast-action paced and very fun gameplay from the get-go minute 1?
Hots definitely doesn't have fast paced action before level 10 or so. The laning phase (especially on the bot lane) in lol sometimes requires so much concentration and personal skill, that I never seen anything even close to it in hots. A single death in lol is already a big deal, while in hots it doesn't matter at all, especially in the first 5 minutes, so in that regard hots is definitely more "fun" as in "causal".
Tbh, I think all mobas are the very definition of unfun.
Lol is not fun because of how much stress you endure with every loss.
Hots is not fun because of how nothing of what you do really matters much, the personal input is less important than in other mobas, so it's just boring.

Well, to be fair, LoL already had a mod that didn't require last hitting. So it's not exactly a revolution. They tried it, and the mod isn't very popular, people went back to playing classic lol after a while. Here's the thing. If you cut out the importance of last hitting, then all you can do in lane is bully each other. That means you have to reduce the damaging impact of heroes' abilities, because you'd be bullying each other for minutes on and on. And this is exactly how they did it in hots. What you get as a result is people having less power in their abilities, and this is what's causing the sluggish team fights in hots (as well as inability for most champs to kill other champs 1x1 if you were lucky to catch someone unawares in the jungle, the victim will just walk away). Sluggish is the antonym of "fast action paced and very fun gameplay", by the way.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Brenner, it's nice that your parents let you post on Codex, but try to act like a big boy.

abija

Prophet
When exactly did long games become a bad thing? Take your adderall and fuck off.

Suicidal

Arcane
I'd like to see a MOBA that has both item builds and HOTS-like talents. I'm a huge customizationfag and I like making weird character builds. I think the talent system in HOTS is pretty interesting but the complete removal of items just ruins a lot of the fun I extract from MOBAs for me.

KK1001

Arbiter
The things you listed are mostly subtraction by addition.

You are shilling so hard for HOTS it isn't even funny. It's not like I don't have fun with the game. I do. It just grows stale quickly, mostly because of the core mechanics of the game don't leave much room for improvement.

No last hitting, no denying, no items, no wards, no smoke no "cheap" or "unfair" abilities. You know, the very things that separate good players from bad in Dota 2 (and to a lesser extent LoL).

You unwillingness to admit that it OBJECTIVELY has a lower skillcap demonstrates your willful ignorance.

I would go into more detail about why the things that Dota 2 or LoL has make them objectively more difficult games to master, but I won't waste any more of my time.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
When exactly did long games become a bad thing? Take your adderall and fuck off.

Long ago. Wake up and smell the new times.

Who the fuck wants to waste 50 minutes on some shit game?

Maybe you do. But that's probably because:

1) You got no gf, no job, no money, no future, no education, no friends, no family. Waste more tiem playing vidya games bro!

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
The things you listed are mostly subtraction by addition.

You are shilling so hard for HOTS it isn't even funny. It's not like I don't have fun with the game. I do. It just grows stale quickly, mostly because of the core mechanics of the game don't leave much room for improvement.

No last hitting, no denying, no items, no wards, no smoke no "cheap" or "unfair" abilities. You know, the very things that separate good players from bad in Dota 2 (and to a lesser extent LoL).

You unwillingness to admit that it OBJECTIVELY has a lower skillcap demonstrates your willful ignorance.

I would go into more detail about why the things that Dota 2 or LoL has make them objectively more difficult games to master, but I won't waste any more of my time.
ill

You're a dota 2 shill and a major faggot fanboy. Go away. Go post your shit arguments in the DOTA 2 THREAD and stay clear of this thread.

You don't like HOTS, fine. Then fuck off and go play your precious dota 2 :)

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Fucking stupid faggots.

If you hate this game so much like the couple of hating fanboy fagnoobs you are. Then why are you here, posting? Go away. Nobody gives a shit, your bronze league opinion doesn't fucking matter.

You're just simply flat out wrong.

Of course when a better game comes along to challenge the established game, people are gonna get butthurt and envious over their precious shit fanboy game.

GG

Suicidal

Arcane
Fucking stupid faggots.

If you hate this game so much like the couple of hating fanboy fagnoobs you are. Then why are you here, posting? Go away. Nobody gives a shit, your bronze league opinion doesn't fucking matter.

I think at this point people come to this thread like a zoo to watch the angry monkey throwing poo all around.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Fucking stupid faggots.

I think at this point people come to this thread like a zoo to watch the angry monkey throwing poo all around.

Then stop trolling the monkey, with stupid faggy and 100 % bullshit arguments, about the shit game that is dota and lol. It won't get mad then.

KK1001

Arbiter
I've never seen someone desire so desperately to defend a game and fail so spectacularly.

Congratulations.

abija

Prophet
Then stop trolling the monkey, with stupid faggy and 100 % bullshit arguments, about the shit game that is dota and lol. It won't get mad then.
Maybe the monkey should write on blogpost and disable comments instead of using a forum.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom