Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Heroes of the Storm

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
A very smart move indeed, gameplay stinks of new Blizzard ,easier to get into, easier to play, shorter games and WoW/Diablo fans are able to play with their wet dreams favorite characters.

And even I like the idea playing as İllidan :)

sser

Arcane
Developer
So... Fanfiction: the MOBA?

Looks interesting. I hope they have new ideas, though, besides the general 'oh look all our characters fighting in a MOBA' thing going on.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Actually they have pretty new ideas like talent trees instead of item customisation, that undead skull race in mines and bone golems, mounts out of combat and very fast gameplay. Too fast for me though.
And it looks a bit like LOL graphic wise. They are going to milk this one a lot probably.

Cromwell

Arcane
Actually they have pretty new ideas like talent trees instead of item customisation, that undead skull race in mines and bone golems, mounts out of combat and very fast gameplay. Too fast for me though.
And it looks a bit like LOL graphic wise. They are going to milk this one a lot probably.

In the dev video they talked about some good things but roughly ten seconds later talked about why their ideas are shit. For example they talked about how there will be no last hits so that they can design heroes for heavy suport or heal roles, which would be interesting, if they didnt continue it with "ofc if you want to make damage you can customize your heroe to do so".

Also it would be a good idea to be able skill your heroes differently depending on how the game goes if there were items with which you could enhance your build, but there aren't so there is no real difference if you skill a hero via items or via a skill tree.
So instead of providing more possibilities and play styles they just swaped one system for another with both systems doing more or less the same.

Dr Tomo

Learned
They're about three or four years behind the curve on this one.

Try more like five at least.

are mobas the new fpss? =_=
even worse, this is your average experience with those games.
i've had enough already.
Yeah, that was my experience as well... why can't shitty developers make a practice mode or whatever?

Er... there is a practice mode in DOTA2.

Which is surprisingly better then lol's practice mode.

So can anyone tell me what makes this game different from the two juggernauts that currently exist (lol/dota 2)?

Cromwell

Arcane
So can anyone tell me what makes this game different from the two juggernauts that currently exist (lol/dota 2)?

As far as the devs are concerned its a whole new different genre, which of course blizzard brings to a whole new level. You see LoL and Dota are simply mobas. Heroes of the storm is in the hero brawler genre.

Here's a nice video:

They scrapped the chess-aesthetic you could see in early videos, and they scrapped the traditional moba map, and even made several maps. Focus is on objectives.

Dr Tomo

Learned

As far as the devs are concerned its a whole new different genre, which of course blizzard brings to a whole new level. You see LoL and Dota are simply mobas. Heroes of the storm is in the hero brawler genre.

So basically they are trying to be the cod of moba's?

Cromwell

Arcane

So basically they are trying to be the cod of moba's?

If that means sputing nonsense to make it sound more exciting then it is, then probably yes. Or they are delusional, I dont know.

From what I saw from the maps hey are very restricted at the beginning, you are forced to fight the other team. There is no gold, and exp gets divided to all your heroes so everyone always has the same level and (i think every 3 levels) can choose between different skills. From all that it should play like a wow battleground just 5v5. summoning biig ghouls, or big pirates, or big whatever seems like the concept of the old alterac valley bg where you could pretty much do the same.

I also dont think the skill choices will be very complex.

Castanova

Prophet
This looks less like Dota/LoL and more like a top-down version of WoW battlegrounds. I think this will appeal to Blizzard fans who hear all kinds of stuff about Dota/LoL, maybe they even tried them once, but they simply can't handle the learning curve. They'll think "Hey I'm playing Dota but it's fun!" even though it's nothing alike.

Dr Tomo

Learned
This looks less like Dota/LoL and more like a top-down version of WoW battlegrounds. I think this will appeal to Blizzard fans who hear all kinds of stuff about Dota/LoL, maybe they even tried them once, but they simply can't handle the learning curve. They'll think "Hey I'm playing Dota but it's fun!" even though it's nothing alike.

It sounds like Dota/lol to me,to me they just realized that since they are late to the party and they want some of the Jew gold that mobas are making they decided call it a hero brawler. PR wise sounds like they are innovative and that they are trying to set the trends not chase after them. As Blizzard is known for innovation and trend setting*.

Also never played Wow battlegrounds, is it suppose to be sophisticated or something strategy wise?

abija

Prophet
If it takes all the ADD kids out of DOTA +1 to them. So annoying when you win a fight and should be pushing towers and at least half the team leaves cause they saw an enemy on minimap.

Are you seriously discussing the merits of the term hero brawler over multiplayer online battle arena? Maybe they just hated the term and acronym like many other people do.

Do we have an updated topic for this? I've been playing the alpha and it's pretty horrible so far - slow as molasses and that awful f2p model copied straight from League of Legends, locking heroes behind paywalls or grinds.

There's already cosmetic stuff on top of the heroes - Valve proved that it's possible to have a profitable model while not cockblocking your players from the vast majority of the hero pool; there's simply no justification possible for Riot's model after Dota 2, sorry. Especially for a company as big as Blizzard; I'm sure the Activision overlords require maximum milkage though, but feel free to defend them as you wish.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I don't really care, it's not like you ever play the entire roster in those types of games. At least it forces people to learn the characters.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Wanna play this and was looking forward to it but after watching some streams it looks and plays a bit meh. I have a feeling that Im gonna get bored pretty fast. Still wanna try it before the final verdict.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom